Unable to sync 1Password for mac with 1Password for iOS

synclost
synclost
Community Member

System setup:
OSX: 10.9.5
1Password for mac: 4.4.2
1Password for iOS: 3.6.5 on iPhone 4

I was running 3.x on my Mac after a lot of hassle I have managed to move all my data to 4.4.2. That part is working fine.

I had purchased, via the app store, iOS v3.6.5. I am unable to sync the iOS version to the mac by any means. I cannot go back to 3.x on the mac because it is no longer available (I bought it through the app store). I can only download the trial version of 3.x for mac from your website. I cannot upgrade my iOS v3.6.5 to 3.7.2 because it appears that this is no longer available on the app store either - iOS app store tells me there is such a version but refuses to do anything about it. I suppose this blocks me from downloading version 4 as well. I cannot use password 5 on iOS because I cannot run iOS 8.

I am completely stuck with no clear path to syncing the 2 systems. It appears that the sync has been broken through an upgrade process I have little control of! How do I restore sync?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @synclost, welcome to the forums!

I'm sorry you're running into trouble trying to sync 1Password between your Mac and iPhone. The problem is that Dropbox sync no longer works in 1Password 3 for iOS (because of changes Dropbox made to their API back in September 2013), and the Wi-Fi sync option in 1Password 3 for iOS isn't compatible with Wi-Fi sync in 1Password 4 for Mac.

But don't worry, you still have options! Although the App Store only shows 1Password 5, there's a workaround to install 1Password 4 on an iOS 7 device. Basically you'll need to use iTunes on your Mac to download 1Password 5 for iOS, then go to App Store > Updates > Purchased on your iPhone and find 1Password 5 in the list. When you try to download it from there, it should give you the option to download version 4. For more information and a list of specific steps, please see this thread.

Once you have 1Password 4 for Mac and 1Password 4 for iOS, you can sync them using Dropbox or Wi-Fi sync. It sounds like you have all your latest data in 1Password 4 on your Mac? If so, you won't need to worry about 1Password 3 on your iPhone, and you can start syncing the version 4 apps with each other.

Hopefully this helps, but if you have any questions or need help to get that all setup, please let us know. Happy New Year! :smiley:

• synclost
    synclost
    Community Member

Back up and running, all fixed. Thanks and happy new year. :)

• Excellent! Thanks for the update. Glad to hear you're all set. Happy new year!

This discussion has been closed.