Problems logging into Dropbox on Macbook Pro / iMac

Options
danaston
danaston
Community Member

Hi

I've read forum discussions about similar problems to this on iOS, and I wondered if someone could help with this? There may well be a straight forward explanation that I haven't come across.

I have enabled two-factor authentication on Dropbox. I'm using Yosemite on my Macbook Pro, and I'm having problems using 1Password to log into the Dropbox website. I ask 1Password to enter my username and password and get the error:

"Error (403) It seems you tried to do something we can't verify. Did you log into a different Dropbox account in a different window? Try clicking here to go back to the page you came from, or just go home."

I have no other dropbox windows open on this computer or any other (although I am logged into the same Dropbox account using the MacOS X Dropbox desktop app. Quitting the app makes no difference to the problem). Clicking on either of the options given does not lead me to my account.

When the error message appears, I do receive a security code text message on my mobile. Interestingly, most times I receive two texts with two different security codes almost at the same time. I am never directed to the page that allows me to enter the code.

If I copy and paste the username and password from 1Password, instead of asking it to fill in the boxes for me, then everything works fine. Similarly, if I enter the username and password completely by hand it all works fine.

I have tried advice that was given in a different thread - creating a new 'login' on 1Password for Dropbox and using that. Unfortunately this made no difference.

I wonder if it is something to do with the desktop Dropbox app?

I am able to get into Dropbox on my iPhone, either using Safari or using the iOS Dropbox app without a problem. If I use Safari then the iOS 1Password app works without a problem.

Any advice / help much appreciated.

Dan.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @danaston‌

By default new Login items are set to Submit when enabled i.e. mimic the user hitting the enter key like they want the page to log the in. I suspect this isn't what you want to happen with 2FA sites though so you may want to edit the Login item and set the submit option to Never submit. Does that make any difference?

• danaston
    danaston
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @littlebobbytables

That's fixed it! I knew it would turn out to be something simple :)

Thanks so much.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great to hear that it worked @danaston‌. If you have any more questions please do ask :smile:

This discussion has been closed.