"Allow characters to repeat" is not working

Options
algra
algra
Community Member

I've seen this several times already, but didn't had time to screenshot/post it. Now I got it (dots at the beginning and at the end):

As I said, I've had several other passwords having double characters, like (, ), $, [, etc.

Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.2
1Password 5 Version 5.1 (510035)

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @algra,

That option actually refers to sequential characters e.g. gg or 77 rather than a character not being reused at all. Not reusing characters would have a very significant impact on the search space, that is to say create a far weaker password so it would never be advisable. For passwords that you may need to type out I can understand the Avoid ambiguous characters option as a pragmatic one but to create a strong a password as possible I would recommend allowing characters to repeat.

So you could say the setting might benefit from a slightly different wording or you might feel we need a setting where characters aren't reused at all. Let us know what you're thinking :smile:

• algra
    algra
    Community Member
    Options

Well, my bad, I did wrong understood meaning of this option. After thinking about it a bit more, I got your point and yea, it will be kind of stupid not reuse characters reducing strength of password. Sorry for misunderstanding :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No need to be sorry @algra, I think it can be very easy to misunderstand what that option means, we could certainly make that a bit clearer. I'm glad littlebobbytables was able to help explain that! :)

If you need anything else, we're here for you!

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

And, raising the issue for discussion helps us to think more clearly about it, @algra.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

++ Good point!

• pauLee
    pauLee
    Community Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

What about a a better and unambiguous naming for that feature? I also thought like algra.

Better would be an additional option like "no reuse of characters".

It´s a real old "issue" and could have been solved after so long time ;)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @pauLee,

I'm sorry you were also confused about that option in the password generator! As littlebobbytables mentioned, the word "repeat" in that option really means "be used multiple times in a row" (for example, gg or 77). Characters can still appear more than once in a password regardless of whether that option is enabled.

Perhaps a better label for that setting would be something like "Allow consecutive repeating characters", but we would need to make sure the new label is short enough to fit in that window (which is more of a cosmetic issue). I'm sure it's probably an easy change to make, but our developers have been very busy working on other features/bug fixes/improvements/etc. They haven't forgotten about this option though, and hopefully they'll be able to make it clearer in a future release.

Better would be an additional option like "no reuse of characters".

I don't think we would add an option to completely prevent the reuse of characters in a password, because (as littlebobbytables explained above), that would only serve to generate weaker passwords.

Thanks for taking the time to send us your feedback about that, we appreciate it! If you need anything else, be sure to let us know. :)

ref: OPI-505

This discussion has been closed.