stevefuture
stevefuture
Community Member

I have the following:
iPhone 4s with IOS 8.1.3
Mac OSx 10.10.2
1Password 5
Version 5.1 (510035)

I cannot sync over wifi at all - the phone doesn't see the mac, despite refreshing the list, and being on the same network.
When I attempt to use the Dropbox option, the phone's existing logins are not updated with the most recent updates on the mac, despite showing a sync occurring and even adding new entries - this has just screwed me royally, and definitely needs to be fixed.

Please advise.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @stevefuture,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're having trouble keeping synced up!

Thanks so much for including your version numbers in the original post - that gives us a much better place to start. You mention trying both Wi-Fi and Dropbox. Which is your preferred method of sync here? It will be much easier for us to troubleshoot one rather than both. ;)

• stevefuture
    stevefuture
    Community Member
    Options

Wifi. I also sync an iPad Mini (that doesn't have the above mentioned issue).

• Hi @stevefuture ,

There have been some issues with WiFi in Yosemite and iOS 8. Can you check something for me:

1. On your Mac, go to System Preferences, and click on Sharing. Make sure your computer name does not have (2) (or another number) after the name. If it does, fix it.
    2. In 1Password for Mac, confirm the WiFi Sync server is turned on. Toggle it off and then back on, if it is already on.
    3. If your home WiFi has a guest network, make sure your iPhone (and your Mac) are both on your private network and not on the guest network.
    4. Then, restart your iPhone 4S (to restart the phone's networking) and try to set up WiFi sync again.

Let us know if it still does not see the Mac.

• stevefuture
    stevefuture
    Community Member
    Options

Followed those steps - but didn't work.
    1. The name of the computer didn't have a number in it
    2. Toggled the Mac 1Password wifi sync on and off (subsequent to these steps not working, I also turned the network on and off on the Mac, but to no avail)
    3. Confirmed both connected to the same private network - and both able to access the internet through that network.
    4. Restarted iPhone

Afterwards, I also renewed the lease on the iPhone wifi preferences - but that didn't have any impact.
    I was having this issue on a previous iPhone4S (but it had a range of other issues, as a result of it being dropped in beer!) - the iPhone4S I have now, is a refurb just received from Apple (so I don't think it's an issue with this particular phone).

• @stevefuture Could you try setting up an ad hoc network between the Mac and iPhone, then trying a sync? This will tell us if the router is playing a role in this or not.

• stevefuture
    stevefuture
    Community Member
    Options

Ace - I didn't know about creating ad-hoc networks - that's quite useful.
    That allowed me to sync the iPhone and the Macbook Pro without issue.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update, @stevefuture! That would indicate that some property of your WiFi network is causing difficulties for the sync. Using an ad-hoc network is typically a troubleshooting step that we use to make that diagnosis, but if it works as a solution for you then that is great! :) Beyond that, you may want to check the security settings of your router and make sure that it is allowing host <-> host communications and that there is no firewall between the iOS device and the Mac.

Ben

• stevefuture
    stevefuture
    Community Member
    Options

Cool - for the record it's a Billion BiPAC 7800VDPX - thanks for the help. If I come upon any weird settings, I'll let you know.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @stevefuture! If you find anything or need more help with that, please let us know, and we'll take it from there. :)

This discussion has been closed.