Large backups file on phone with limited memory

Options
roregan
roregan
Community Member

My iphone4 has been complaining to me that I'm running out of memory. In trying to resolve the problem, I discovered that 1Password has taken nearly 2GB up with a folder labeled "Backups." Does it really need all that space? Can I safely delete the folder and have only the latest data downloaded to the phone? As all of my computer data is safely and redundantly backed up, I don't need 1Password to store anything in the phone memory other than the latest data. (As it is an iPhone4, I am running the most recent version of 1Password version 4.)

Comments

• Hi @roregan,

Yes, you can remove that folder. After v5 was released we realized our backup solution was a little aggressive on mobile with regards to storage constraints. We've since moved on to a manual backup system instead of an automatic one. Unfortunately we cannot go back and give that treatment to 1Password 4 for iOS, but if and when you upgrade your device to one that can run iOS 8, you'll have a free update to 1Password 5 for iOS which will have the manual system.

• roregan
    roregan
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Chris. I take it from your note that I will have to manually delete that folder from time to time. Correct? As far as I know, I don't need 1Password to store ANY backups on my phone, since the same data is both on my computer and in Dropbox. Is there any way to just plain disable 1Password from creating that file at all?

• Hi @roregan,

Yes, you will want to keep an eye on that folder and empty it every now & then for your use case. Sadly, we didn't have a way to disable that in v4. The re-think on that feature happened after v5 shipped, where it is entirely optional to have.

This discussion has been closed.