Syncing using an mac air, imac, iphone, ipad Through Dropbox

Options
legalbits
legalbits
Community Member

Using all the same version (latest) on all devices. No problem syncing from mac air to iphone and ipad air 2 using dropbox

Seems to be some trouble trying to have the new imac sync. I think I have it working, however. All devices point to the dropbox keychain for 1password. I just want to be clear. The new imac seemed to want to save a keychain to the disk on dropbox, which would be a different file, although the same file name, as the one created earlier on the macbook air. The imac then asked to merge the two files. Only the imac asked this. The iphone and ipad allowed one to not create a new file and go directly to the file already in dropbox. Does this cause a problem? Seems the only way to get the second imac to work is to merge the two keychains, which are almost the same but not quite. Thus, double entries, some of which are incorrect. I went back to make sure the file was the same from dropbox cloud to dropbox on the dropbox physical folder on the physical drives on the mac air and imac. Same thing. Had to merge.

The macbook air and imac seem to want to push things to dropbox. I assume that all imacs and mac airs can sync properly if pointed to the same sync file in dropbox as can the iphone and ipad, also pointing to the same file.

It would be nice, unless I'm missing something and I could be, to have any second computer not an iphone or ipad to have an option of using a file already created on dropbox and that is in the cloud rather than one physically in the dropbox folder on the computer.

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @legalbits,

You can definitely have multiple Macs and iOS devices sync to a single Dropbox, in fact that's what a large number of our users do.

Normally what we would recommend is syncing them up when you first start using 1Password on a particular machine or device. That way it pulls down the vault as it already exists elsewhere and from that point on to pulls and pushes changes as needed. Each additions or change is pushed straight away and so the differences between two machines is minimal and conflicts are kept to a minimal (or even simply don't happen).

Where things get trickier is if you have two vaults that either were never synced or were synced for a while and that you now wish to combine. It's doable of course but if you've made incompatible changes on both vaults to the same items it is messy. After all, how can 1Password tell with difference 1, Mac A's change should be kept but with difference 2 it's Mac B's change?

So your iPad, iPhone and MacBook Air are all in sync. What would be very useful for us to better understand is more about your iMac. Where did the vault come from, did it start off as a brand new, empty vault or did you use a backup from another machine or sync data from some point in time ago? How many differences do you suspect there may be on your iMac and are there any of these changes which are required to be kept?

What these questions will help determine is, do we try and merge the two vaults and then you have to go through the conflicts or if the number of valid bits of data unique to the iMac are few could they be manually copied over to the MacBook Air? If that's feasible we could then start over with 1Password on the iMac and have it create the vault anew from the 1Password.agilekeychain you want it to sync with. This works because when creating a new vault it simply copies over everything in the .agilekeychain - no merging.

So if you can describe the situation a little for us please we can gauge what the optimal path is for you.

This discussion has been closed.