Move Windows vault to Mac

Options
iquisine
iquisine
Community Member

How do I move my Windows 1 password 4 vault to my Mac 1 password 5 application and make it look and work like the windows version My windows pc is failing and need to move the vault contents to the Mac. My Mac's version is a lot different from the the Windows version, i.e. templates have changed, no auto-fill option for data, etc. Is there any way to make my Mac version like the windows. I really like the windows version!!

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @iquisine,

Well some good news is transporting your 1Password 4 for Windows vault to a Mac is pretty easy. 1Password 4 for Windows uses the .agilekeychain and accesses it directly, much like 1Password 3 for Mac did. Now 1Password 4/5 do handle it differently but they still use the .agilekeychain format for syncing purposes.

So to proceed what we would need to know is:

1. Do you already have a vault on your Mac?
    2. If you do are you wanting to merge your Mac and Windows vaults together or do you wish to add your Windows vault as a secondary vault?

You're correct. In some ways the Windows and Mac version are different but they're also similar in many ways too.

I'm not too sure what you mean when you say templates have changed. Both versions support the same categories such as Login, Credit Card, Identity etc. Anything that is stored in your vault from a Windows machine will be accessible on the Mac and vice versa. I may very well be misunderstanding what you are referring to.

I'm also unsure about no auto-fill option. Do you mean with your browsers? If you do the Mac uses the same extension to fill in on a web page but again you might be referring to something else as there are differences.

Sadly there aren't ways to make the Mac version more Windows like or the Windows version more Mac like. In terms of style they have their own OSes to match and in terms of differences in functionality well we are aiming for feature parity but we're not there at the moment. The differences though don't tend to be related to the internal data formats we use.

It might be with a little more description we can get to the heart of the differences that you're trying to describe.

• iquisine
    iquisine
    Community Member
    Options

littlebobbytables,
    Thanks for the response - I do have a vault on my Mac but willing to destroy it for the my windows vault. I'm only playing around with the Mac version right now.
    The main template categories are the same but the contents are different and I have many user defined field/labels in my windows version and not sure how they will migrate to the Mac version. In my windows version there is a little 'autofill' icon next to my copy icon on the fields in a entry. I don't see that on my Mac version, just a copy icon.

please let me know how to move the windows vault to the mac and maybe explain the other questions.

BTW - do you have phone support for issues/troubleshooting?

• iquisine
    iquisine
    Community Member
    Options

I opened my 1 password on my pc and it asked if I wanted to open the vault from my dropbox - I responded yes but it didn't take my password. I tried to restore from my backup location on my pc but still wont accept my password. I have used that password for many weeks on the pc without an issue. What happened today that is causing this issue? The drop box is synced to my Mac and it uses the same password as the windows pc.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @iquisine,

Custom fields and field titles will be visible in both 1Password for Windows and Mac so you won't lose those at all. They even sync with iOS too. So that aspect shouldn't be an issue in your case.

The autofill functionality I'm afraid we don't have on the Mac. I'll have to play around more with the Windows version to see what this is like but at the moment we fill using the browser extension and we can't fill into other applications running on the Mac. Sorry about that.

Now if you've been playing around with 1Password for Mac and the vault in question doesn't contain anything important, then the easiest way forward is to follow our Starting Over guide on the Mac. If you do this, and you have Dropbox already installed then 1Password for Mac will find the 1Password.agilekeychain in Dropbox when you first start it and assume you wish to use it, simply bringing up the Master Password window.

I'm surprised to hear the troubles you're experiencing with the .agilekeychain and concerned, especially if you're saying a backup wasn't working any better. When you say backup do you mean the automated backups that 1Password creates daily by default or was this a separate backup that you were maintaining?

Now just to be quite specific, when you said

I opened my 1 password on my pc and it asked if I wanted to open the vault from my dropbox - I responded yes but it didn't take my password.

Do you mean you're now on your Mac? If you do, does your Master Password contain any symbols at all? I ask as the Mac keyboard is different. If you were to type your Master Password out in a note or text editor does it look exactly the same or is it possible there is a character difference?

Please do keep us informed.

• Hi @iquisine,

Sounds like you may have two different vaults in your dropbox and Windows is trying to open the one you aren't expecting. Try navigating into Dropbox yourself and see if there are multiple vaults (agilekeychain files or opvault files). Double click the one you're expecting (the one that's synced on the Mac).

As for autofill and such, you'll want the Browser Extensions installed, and once that's done it should work just as well as on Windows.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more issues.

Rick

• iquisine
    iquisine
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Guys all for your responses and suggestions. I got the Mac and Windows to now sync up the vault. I resolved the password for the two vaults. Most things are working fine for me except autofill. I tried Rick's suggestion but still no indication for autofill icon next to copy showing up like in Windows, only the copy option in Mac.![(https://us.v-cdn.net/5020219/uploads/editor/jv/cismbs0l2kfp.png "")

Hope the image file shows up - it shows a partial entry on windows version of 1password 4

Let me know if I should still pursue this autofill issue or should I drop it for now?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @iquisine,

I can't speak for the others but I'd certainly be curious to know if you discovered the cause behind password issue.

Now as to Auto-Type (autofill to you), what brenty and rickfillion told you only applies to logging into a website using the 1Password browser extension. True Auto-Type as you know it is currently a Windows only feature. So what I said about how we can't fill into other applications running on the Mac holds true. Given your interest in it I shall certainly add your voice to the existing feature request for this item.

Hopefully this one difference won't affect your workflow too much and that you find the Mac version can hold its own against the Windows version :smile:

ref: OPM-990

• iquisine
    iquisine
    Community Member
    Options

littlebobbytables - The password issue was a human error on my part - too many difficult passwords to remember. I had a hint on my Mac password but not my windows(maybe because I was treating it as a trial only) everything else is working fine( however when the credit card info I created in Windows the CVV label and digits did not transfer to the Mac) no big problem since now I'm doing all the work on the Mac and not too much on Windows. I'm working around the auto type function by the copy to clipboard button and it is working well.

Thanks again to all who were involved on this issue.

I can be closed

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015
    Options

@iquisine: Oh dear! No worries. It happens to the best of us... :blush:

And of course this is why we have 1Password in the first place! Unfortunately there isn't a secure way for 1Password to store its own password and unlock itself when we get mixed up. Yet. We'll call that a 'feature request. For both of us. ;)

Anyhow, I'm glad you got that issue sorted. However, if the CVV field name and data that you created in Windows are not showing up on your Mac, then all may not be well after all. I tested this just to be sure, creating a new item in 1Password in Windows, and the custom field and info both sync'd over to my Mac. Try re-creating the item itself to see if that resolves the issue.

Do you have other data which doesn't seem to be sync'ing in one direction or another?

• iquisine
    iquisine
    Community Member
    Options

brenty - all custom fields in windows sync ok now after the two versions began sync'ing regularly. all my work in being done on the mac so no issues with windows and mac versions. thanks

• That's great hear, @iquisine. Please do let us know if you have any more questions.

Rick

This discussion has been closed.