Multiple Screen Login

On some sites there is a username screen and once entered it goes to a second password screen. It seems that 1password creates two separate logins, one for each screen. One login has the username and no password, the other has the password but no user name. Is there a way to have 1password recognize that even though there are separate screens (and separate URLs) it should only create one login. I've tried adding both screen's URLs to the login, but that does not seem to work.

Comments

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
  • svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

@SecretSquirrel In the OS X knowledge base, we have an excellent article on how to create multi-page Logins:

https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac-kb/5/en/topic/creating-a-multi-page-login

Unfortunately, these steps do not 1-to-1 translate to Windows, but they might help you accomplish what you're trying to do.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni

in OS X there is the option to "update" a login, but in windows I get a "replace" the login.

On Windows, we have these auto-save windows:

1. The "normal" window where you create a new Login item
    2. The "replace" window where you can create a new Login item or replace an existing Login item
    3. The "change password" window that appears when you have changed your password on a web site

I'm guessing you're looking at #2. My advice is to replace your existing Login and then check this box labelled "replace password only (keep all other fields)". This will preserve the existing (username) field and add the password field.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@SecretSquirrel: I'm glad that helped! :)

Depending on the website, there are often different tweaks that can be made to make thing work more smoothly too. For many of my login items, I use 1Password to autosave them initially, and then I 'prune' the saved data: for instance, removing the 'keep me logged in' (or similar) checkbox from the login item, so 1Password doesn't interact with that -- and I can do it manually if I want to occasionally.

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited March 2015

@SecretSquirrel I have tried and confirmed these steps with bankofamerica.com:

Step 1: Create a new Login on the first page

On the first page of the site’s login process, you’ll likely be prompted for your username or ID.

1. Type in your username, but do not sign into the site or advance to the next page.
    2. Click on the 1Password button in your browser’s toolbar.
    3. Unlock your vault if required. Then click on: Settings > Save new Login.
    4. Give the new item a unique name. When you’re finished, click Save.
    5. Click “Sign in” (or the equivalent) on the page to advance to the next step of the login sequence.

Step 2: Update the Login on the second page

The second page of a multi-page login system will usually ask for your password or some other security information.

1. Type in your password and fill any other required fields. Again, do not advance to the next page.
    2. Click on the 1Password button. Then click on: Settings > Save new Login.
    3. In the save dialog, select Replace existing Login from the dropdown menu. You should see the name of the Login you created in Step 1.
    4. Check this box: "Replace password only (keep the other fields)"
    5. Click Save to add the new details to this Login item.
    6. Click “Sign in” (or the equivalent) to advance to the next page.

If you arrive at your account, you’re done! If there are still further pages in the login sequence, simply repeat Step 2 for any that remain—remembering to choose Replace existing Login each time.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@SecretSquirrel: I'm glad that worked for you. Thanks for letting us know, and be sure to reach out if you have any other questions! :chuffed:

• reggoboy
    reggoboy
    Community Member

It would be nice if 1Password had a "merge logins" feature. That way, after you set up the 2 logins for the 2 screens, you could duplicate them, merge them, and then try to see if this new single, merged login could get you all the way in on its own. If it does, you could delete the original 2 logins since they would be no longer necessary.

• Hi @reggoboy,

That's what Stefan's instruction basically is, it is merging the password into the existing Login item made from page 1. If it doesn't work, you can just repeat and instead of choosing the option of replacing the original item (merge), you can choose to create a separate one.

• reggoboy
    reggoboy
    Community Member

Hi MikeT.

If by "Stefan" you mean "svondutch", then I see your point. His approach lets you merge data "on the fly", which sounds handy. Of course if that doesn't work out, you should probably delete and start from scratch, it seems. If you take the other route of doing one screen at a time, my idea will allow you to merge after using the existing duplicate feature to try out the combined login approach. Then, if that doesn't work, you can always fall back on the 2 separate logins, rather than starting from scratch. Correct?

• MikeT
    edited July 2015

Hi @Reggoboy,

Yes, sorry, svondutch is Stefan.

Of course if that doesn't work out, you should probably delete and start from scratch, it seems.

No, you don't have to delete anything because all it does is append the password field and its value into the first Login item that only has the username data. All you have to do in the event that the first Login item doesn't work on the second page is create a second Login item for the password page.

Basically, if it fails, all you have to do is reuse the first Login item (the fallback item with both username/password) to fill on the username page and then when you're on the password page, copy the password from the first Login item to paste it on this password page and this time, ask 1Password to create a second Login.

In majority of the cases, just adding the password works. 1Password has several algorithms it can try to figure out how to fill the password in.

• reggoboy
    reggoboy
    Community Member

Interesting, and cool. Looking forward to diving more deeply into 1P. Only been using it about 2 weeks.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@reggoboy: Great! Be sure to let us know if you have any questions. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.