1Password account not transferring to new computer

Options
jwgilliland
jwgilliland
Community Member

I purchased 1Password for my Mac a couple of years ago, and recently destroyed that computer with coffee (whoops).

My 1Password was backed up on iCloud. I downloaded the app again, and it worked for a month, but now it says my free trial is over and I have to buy 1Password again. Why is it not picking up in the fact that I've already purchased the software? How can I correct this?

Thanks!

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

No, there has been a paid upgrade since you made your original purchase. You bought 1PW3. The upgrade to 1PW4 required payment, and 1PW5 is a free upgrade from 1PW4.

Note that if you want iCloud sync, you MUST buy from the Mac App Store (a restriction imposed by Apple, Agile would prefer this not to happen) and not from Agile's store.

Unfortunately (Apple again) there is no upgrade pricing on the App Store (Apple's rules again) and you would have to pay full price, whereas there is an upgrade price direct from Agile.

Note also that there is a sale on at present, which probably won't last much longer.

• jwgilliland
    jwgilliland
    Community Member
    Options

What a racket

• jwgilliland
    jwgilliland
    Community Member
    Options

If I recover my hard drive from the old computer, can I recover the old version of 1Password for the new computer?

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

Simpler than that. Assuming you were using 1PW3, you can still download it from the Legacy section of the Downloads page, and it does run on Yosemite.

Most programs have a paid upgrade from time to time, based on the OS and new features. Two years is reasonable between upgrades (and, in fact, 1PW went a long time before a paid upgrade). And, as with 1PW, one can normally run old versions until the OS no longer supports them.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

That downloads page is here.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @jwgilliland ,

I'm so glad to see that you've already been receiving help from some of our awesome 1Password community members. (Thanks for the assist, @danco and @hawkmoth!)

Now, I might have some pretty great news for you. I did a search in our back office records (using the email address attached to your forum account) and it seems that you may already have a license for 1Password 5. I'm re-sending the license information to the email address attached to the account. The license email will include instructions on how to download and install 1Password 5, if you need them, and how to apply your license file.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

ref: 795002

This discussion has been closed.