1Password security for stolen MacBook

Options
kickstand
kickstand
Community Member

Fortunately, this is a theoretical question at the moment. But, let's say my MacBook is stolen. I have 1Password installed on it, and I'm sync-ing via Dropbox. What do I need to do in order to secure my passwords? I can de-link my computer from Dropbox, but the 1Password files will still be on the MacBook, right? Is there any way to lock that computer out of 1Password?

If the thief figures out the password for 1Password, then I'm in trouble, yes?

Comments

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

If the thief knows your master password, you would be in trouble. That's why you need to have a really string master password. Have you seen the blog post, Toward Better Master Passwords? It's worthwhile reading.

• schwaggy
    schwaggy
    Community Member
    Options

And if you're using FileVault, a thief would have a very difficult time even getting in your Mac.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    Options

And if you're using FileVault, a thief would have a very difficult time even getting in your Mac.

Right, and I'd do that too if I had a laptop to carry around.

• Hi @kickstand,

As long as your Master Password is sufficiently strong, you shouldn't have much to worry about. If a thief can guess the password, then it wasn't a very good password. 1Password encryption is specifically designed to make brute force attacks slow.

With a strong master password, and File Vault enabled, I wouldn't worry too much.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions, please let us know.

Rick

• kickstand
    kickstand
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, all.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kickstand,

If you ever have any concerns there are ways to ensure new encryption keys are generated and the time it would take to brute force the encryption would give you plenty of time to change all of your passwords with a few decades to spare. That way you can have peace of mind no matter what.

As an aside, I'm another advocate of File Vault, it wouldn't feel right not having it enabled, much like not using 1Password just feels wrong.

This discussion has been closed.