1password not starting

Caleb_k
Caleb_k
Community Member

i am running an up to date 1password on my iMac. i updated it recently and now it won't open. When i try to open the app after a long time i get a message that says 1password failed to connect to 1password mini.

what do i do?

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Please try this:

1. Drag the 1P app to the trash (don't use any app cleaner tool, which is likely to try to delete files you need to keep).
    2. Empty the trash and reboot.
    3. Re-download and re-install 1P.

Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Caleb_k,

I'm sorry you're getting that error when trying to open 1Password after the update! The steps that Stephen gave you will usually solve this problem, but in case they don't, you can find more information & troubleshooting steps in this knowledgebase article.

Please let us know how it goes! We'll be glad to help if you're still having trouble with that.

• Caleb_k
    Caleb_k
    Community Member

I have tried the above - trashed the app, cleaned out the trash, shut down the machine, restarted it and downloaded a new version of 1 password 5. when i try to start 1password i get the rainbow ball followed by "1password failed to connect to 1password mini.Please restart 1 password. if this doesn't help, please contact AgileBits support.

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@Caleb_k I'm sorry you're still having trouble, but I have two more questions for you:

1. I'm assuming you followed exactly my instructions in post #2. It's important you include the reboot and I just wanted to check you did that.
    2. Is it possible that you have more than one copy of 1P on your Mac? If you type 1Password in Spotlight search what results does that give?

Stephen

• Caleb_k
    Caleb_k
    Community Member

Thanks Stephen! I have some automation happening on a computer that was sticking things in an archive folder in dropbox. deleted those versions of 1password and it solved the problem,
    cheers

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Caleb_k,

That's great to hear @Stephen_C managed to resolve the issue :smile: The issue of multiple copies of 1Password is a tricky one with no good answer at the moment but to remove the additional ones. Here's to trouble-free 1Password usage going forward :smile: If you do have any issues or questions though you know where we are!

This discussion has been closed.