Wrong master password (even though it is correct)

Options
artoor
artoor
Community Member

Because of another problem I was forced to erase all my 1Password data from my iPad (iOS 8.2) so that I could sync them again between the newest 1Password 4 for Windows and iOS the newest version. As always - I did it via WiFi. Inserted my master password (that corresponds with Windows version) - everything went correctly. Set PIN so that I wouldn't have to insert my long master password everytime... it worked like a charm till the moment I restarted my iPad. As you probably know - after reboot we need to insert our master password again. I was surprised because I kept getting information that the master pass is wrong - tried again. Ok, I thought I must have made a typo or whatever - tried again - and again... and again. Tried to insert it into a notepad but - copy-paste solution didn't work either.
Decided to delete 1Password and went through the same procedure again. Syncing 100% correct - everything worked well. So I rebooted again - to check if I'll be able to insert my master password again and it failed. What can we do with that. I experience kind of hoodoo nowadays that is strongly connected with 1Password - please help me.

Comments

• Good morning, @artoor. I'm sorry for the trouble you've run into. Can you give me some information about how you reset 1Password on iOS?

One thing you can try, just to ensure that you've got a completely fresh slate on your iPad, is to delete the 1Password app and reinstall it from the App Store.

• artoor
    artoor
    Community Member
    Options

Good morning. MrRooni :)
    The first reset I did under 1Password -> Settings -> Advanced -> Erase Data and Settings.
    Then - as my memory serves me right - I restarted 1Password and I was asked if I want to create a new database or I want to import it via iCloud, Dropbox or WiFi. I opted Wifi, as this is the only way I always do. All my data was syncing and everything worked fine till I have rebooted iPad. After that I coudn't have opened 1Password as it kept saying - incorrect master password.
    Because of that I was forced to delete 1Password (long press on 1P icon - and trash it) completely and install it from scratch using AppStore. Then I did exactly the same operations as above and intentionaly rebooted iPad so that I could check what was going to happen - and unfortunately the problem occured again.

Maybe I should try to change my master password from 1Password on iOS and then rebooted iPad again?
    I'll do some research and let you know :)

• artoor
    artoor
    Community Member
    Options

I tried to change my master password and it failed.
    First I had to confirm by entering my current password. Then I clicked continue - after that I got message Incorrect Password
    Kind of funny - as I logged in using this password so that I could sync my database - that's ridiculous ;)

• Ben
    Options

Please create a Diagnostics Report from your iOS device:
    https://guides.agilebits.com/kb/1password4/en/topic/diagnostics-report#ios4

Then attach the entire file to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

A short note here with your ticket ID once you've sent the Report in will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• artoor
    artoor
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you bwoodruff
    Here you go - #GXL-89954-189 :)

• Good morning, @artoor. I wonder if you are possibly running into an issue with non-ASCII characters in your Master Password. Check out tis excellent post by our security expert, @jpgoldberg, about why you could run into trouble with non-ASCII Master Passwords. https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/42525/#Comment_42525

• artoor
    artoor
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you MrRooni :)
    I read in minute detail which are ASCII char and I assure you - my master password doesn't contain any non-ASCII characters.
    So the problem is somewhere else. That is really strange - this password always worked for me till the day I erased all my 1Password (for iOS) data and sync it again :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@artoor: Thanks for the update. I'm sorry that didn't help, but now that we've got your diagnostics report we'll continue the conversation there once we get to the bottom of what's causing you this trouble. :)

This discussion has been closed.