Options
Shadowen
Shadowen
Community Member
edited April 2015 in 1Password in the Browser

The only thing that these two URL's have in common is the domain:

https://host1.domain.com
https://host2.subdomain.domain.com

Yet for some reason, both show up for either site in the 1Password extension.

Any way to get this to show the correct one, and only the correct one, for each site?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Shadowen,

This particular section of the forums, unlike the others, spans the various platforms that 1Password exists on. As they don't behave identically it would be a huge boost if you could let us know the platform or platforms that you run 1Password on along with the version number for 1Password. With this information we will be in a much better position to hopefully replicate your findings and that's a big step in the troubleshooting process :smile:

• Shadowen
    Shadowen
    Community Member
    Options

I put it here because it happens on all of the platforms that I currently use (Mac, Windows, iOS).

I believe it is somehow related to the "Location" field of the record in the vault. When I browse to either of those sites, 1Password will show the entries for both in the pull-down menu.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Shadowen,

As littlebobbytables says above, knowing the version numbers of 1Password here can really help us narrow this down.

I'd also appreciate it if you could check in Preferences > Browser in 1Password on your Mac and let me know if 'Lenient URL Matching' is checked or not.

Thanks for helping us track this issue!

• Shadowen
    Shadowen
    Community Member
    Options

Here are the two systems I primarily use:

At work:
    Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit
    1Password 4.3.1.560
    Firefox 37.0.2
    1Password browser extension 4.3.1

At home:
    Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.3
    1Password 5.3 (530032)
    Safari 8.0.5 (10600.5.17)
    1Password browser extension 4.3.1

I tried it with and without the "Lenient URL Matching" option set (which I could not find on the Windows version), but it did not seem to make a difference.

Now to clarify, if I hit CTRL-\ it seems to choose the correct login based on the URL. However, if I manually click the 1Password icon in my browser toolbar, both entries appear in the pull-down menu. I guess I'm not sure if this is a bug or if it is intended.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Shadowen,

I didn't mean to suggest at all that the location of your thread was incorrect, this is exactly where it should be :smile: My query was more because there can be differences between the platforms. I'm going to message you here on the forums for a bit more information.

• cbmackay
    cbmackay
    Community Member
    Options

How about all versions ever?!? This has to be the most frustrating thing about 1Password — which I otherwise love.

Working on pre-production websites, where subdomains are a common way to handle not-yet-public content, having password “matches” from abc.domain.net mixed in with irrelevant logins from xyz.domain.net gets really cumbersome and annoying really quickly.

Please fix this. I’ve been bringing it up periodically for years.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

In my testing I've manage to discover one oddity.

With Lenient URL matching off.

If I have only two items that match the domain, using ⌥⌘\ to bring up 1Password mini will always show both but the ordering will be based on the URL. If I have three or more items then any that don't match the specific domain are hidden behind a Show X more items menu option. I suspect this might be a minor tweak to rectify.

Here are a couple of screenshots to highlight this.

With two Login items

With an additional domain.com Login item (to bring the count to 3)

@Shadowen, could this explain what you're seeing? The easiest way to confirm would be to create a fake Login item with website field https://domain.com. If I'm correct you would then expect to see the lower of the screenshots which is what you want it to always show.

@cbmackay, I'm not sure both of you are experiencing the same issue as you said "irrelevant logins", as in plural. What I found above only seems to apply for 2 Login items. Now I can get the entire list to always display if I have Lenient URL matching enabled but given you don't want this happening I'm assuming this isn't enabled for you in the Browser tab of 1Password's preferences. I suspect we need to investigate your situation further to properly understand where it is going wrong for you.

2.png 29.4K
    3.png 29.4K
  • cbmackay
    cbmackay
    Community Member
    Options

The issue with lenient URL matching is that enabling/disabling it results in two equally-frustrating extremes. Disabling it means I get no useful matches against the subdomain I’m trying to log in to, while enabling it shows me dozens of logins. If matching worked against subdomains, it would be every bit as delightful as it is the rest of the time. This has been an issue since at least here ((https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/105517#Comment_105517).

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cbmackay,

Can you help me understand please. Enabling Lenient URL matching for me will return a list of all Login items that match the domain regardless of any subdomain information being present. If Lenient URL matching is disabled and as long as I have 3 or more items with the same domain (see above) then I only see the matches for that subdomain.

For example, I created 4 items that using this pattern.

1. domain.com
    2. abc.domain.com
    3. xyz.domain.com
    4. def.abc.domain.com

I had to cheat a little as I don't have any sites that go as far as 4.

If i visit abc.domain.com then only entry 2. is shown unless I click on the Show X more items option. At which point all 4 are visible. I'm not a massive user of this feature but that would be as I would expect, the initial list is filtered for that subdomain.

Just for the sake of comparison I'm running 1Password 5.3 for Mac.

Are you saying this isn't what happens for you or am I misunderstanding what "useful matches" means in this context?

• cbmackay
    cbmackay
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, thanks for the follow-up! :)

I’m dealing with examples 1, 2, & 3. No sub-subdomains here. So there’s that.

With Lenient URL Matching enabled, when I login to abc.domain.ca/login, I’m offered 12 matches, which range from abc.domain.ca to domain.ca and xyz.domain.ca (and 10 other subdomain variants, pqr.domain.ca, hij.domain.ca, etc.). This is simply crazy-making. Some of us simply do not live in the simple, wonderful world where every hostname starts with “www.” or “[null.]”.

[Nitpicky aside: the fact that I’m only shown 5 matches, with the rest hidden — and the one I’m after always seems to be among the hidden ones, and don’t get me started on being a keyboard user who’s then forced to reach for mouse/trackpad… or how down-arrowing into the hidden list and hitting the spacebar doesn’t do what you’d expect… those UX issues are for another day…]

With Lenient URL Matching disabled, there is only 1 match, against the full subdomain.domain.tld, and it happens to be an internal WordPress plug-in value that was saved, NOT the subdomain’s administrative login (which is in 1Password and should be listed). So… not useful (too aggressive). Worse: as the only match, it auto-fills and submits, and since login attempts are limited (as a brute force security measure), this has a potential cost beyond mere minor inconvenience.

Is this making any sense?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cbmackay,

I'm going to message you here on the forums.

This discussion has been closed.