problems setting up folder sync on a second Mac

Options
eshayne
eshayne
Community Member

I am trying to set up folder sync to sync between two Mac computers. I am using Synology Cloud Station to synchronize the files between the two computers (if you are not familiar with it, Cloud Station is similar to Dropbox, but stores files on my local NAS instead of on a remote server).

I started with 1Password (version 5.3, from the App Store) on the first computer (running OS X 10.10.3). This has a vault already set up with data already stored. I set up folder sync, pointing to a local folder, with no problems. It synchronized all the data with the 1Password.agilekeychain file in that folder (at least, as far as I can tell).

Cloud Station then synchronized all the files contained in 1Password.agilekeychain to the second computer (also running OS X 10.10.3). I waited until this completed, then installed a fresh copy of 1Password (also version 5.3, also from the App Store) on the second computer and launched it. I selected "I've used 1Password before," and then selected "This Mac" and chose the local copy of the synchronized 1Password.agilekeychain.

This led to the first problem - 1Password on the second computer apparently ignored my request to load the data from the synchronized 1Password.agilekeychain, and instead opened a brand new (empty) vault. There were no errors displayed, just an empty vault.

So, (on the second computer) I went to Preferences... Sync and selected the synchronized folder from there. This produced a message "1Password found existing data. It will be merged with your current vault." I selected "Merge With Existing." This appeared to load all of my data successfully, and I don't see any errors shown.

However, now I have the second problem - 1Password on the second computer will not keep the folder sync settings. If I go back to Preferences... Sync, I see "Sync Primary vault with None." If I again change "None" to "Folder" and specify the synchronized folder, I again get the merge message. If I again select "Merge With Existing," everything seems to work - except again the folder sync setting has reverted back to "None."

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @eshayne,

Something certainly isn't quite right with the second computer. Given you're populating the second Mac with the .agilekeychain from the first I think my first suggestion would be to try the following, How do I start over with an empty vault?. So this is just on your second machine, we won't be touching your working (first) machine.

If starting over on the second machine doesn't improve matters at all I would like to request a diagnostic report to see if the logs highlight anything. What I'd ask is try setting up the sync and letting it disable itself a couple of times then follow the steps. That way we know the errors should be fresh in the logs.

I would like you to create the following Diagnostic Report.

Then attach everything to an email to us: support+ forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

Once you've sent the Report a post here with the ticket ID will help us to keep an eye out for it. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• eshayne
    eshayne
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your response.

I was eventually able to get folder sync to work by exiting 1Password (and 1Password mini) on the second machine, then turning off Cloud Station on that machine as well. Then I restarted 1Password, and was able to turn on folder sync and have it stick. I assume Cloud Station must have been locking some files. At any rate, I was then able to turn Cloud Station back on, and everything now seems to be working, as far as I can tell.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Glad to hear you managed to tame Cloud Station (assuming it was part of the cause) @eshayne. Hopefully now it has settled down it will behave going forward. I know others do use this approach with a Synology NAS so you're not alone :smile:

This discussion has been closed.