Formatted one of two Macs (reinstalled OS), now version of 1Password database is out of date

Options
Alan_Stempel
Alan_Stempel
Community Member

Upon reformatting one of two Macs (and reinstalling OS), I have mysteriously reverted to an earlier version of 1Password database (synced with DropBox). How do I find and invoke most recent version? I don't understand the various subfolders and files I see in the 1Password folder on DropBox.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Alan Stempel,

That's a bit strange, but I'm sure we can help to get this all sorted out for you. You said this happened on one of your two Macs - does that mean you still have all your latest data in 1Password on your other Mac? If so, let's start by making a new backup of that data as a precaution. Simply open 1Password on your Mac (the one that has your latest 1Password data) and go to File > Backup.

Do you normally sync your 1Password data between your Macs using Dropbox sync? If so, it sounds like you might have multiple keychains in Dropbox (i.e. one that has your latest data, one that has the older data). Or it could be that the Mac with your latest 1Password data hasn't actually been syncing with Dropbox. Let's start by checking the Dropbox settings on both Macs:

• On each Mac, open 1Password and go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences.
    • Click the Sync tab.
    • If your vault is not currently set up to sync with Dropbox, follow these steps to set up Dropbox sync.
    • If your vault is already set up to sync with Dropbox, check the file path for the 1Password.agilekeychain file.

If the problem is that one Mac is syncing with a different keychain file than the other, you'll need to disable the sync, then set it up again and choose the correct keychain file.

Let us know how it goes and what you find, thanks!

• Alan_Stempel
    Alan_Stempel
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew, (1) No both Macs are now sharing the same out of date version of database (keychain). My iPhone, which I sync via wifi (but only occasionally) actually has the most up to date, or at least more up to date, version of the database. (2) Yes, I normally sync via DropBox. (3) Yes, when I go into my DropBox folder - on the website, not my local copy - I see what seems to be old and new stuff. The trouble is, I really do not understand what I am looking at. So, while I might want to throw out trash, I really don't know what is of value and what is clearly trash worth throwing out. (4) Both Macs are syncing to DropBox>1Password>1Password Alan.agilekeychain. (5) Most of the data in the keychain version I am using on the Macs is just fine, because most items have not been changed in quite some time. But at least a few items are wrong, and I can verify this by comparing the data for certain items to that of the keychain on my iPhone. (6) I suspect the correct keychain is somewhere in the DropBox folder, but I don't understand how to find it, and I don't want to mess with things for fear of making matters even worse. I do know that most of the data in the keychain I am currently using is correct, and I have been slowly updating erroneous items in it, so that I can perform necessary logins and the like, using correct data taken from my iPhone. (7) I suspect that what happened is that when I reformatted Mac #1, the one I use most often and then launched 1Password on Mac #2, which I use infrequently, stale data from Mac #2 synced up to DropBox and then back down to Mac #1, when 1Password was reinstalled. Does that seem possible?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Alan,

Thank you for the additional information! To answer your last question first, it's very difficult to tell why this happened, although it definitely seems related to reformatting Mac #1. If both Macs had been syncing with the same 1Password Alan.agilekeychain vault in Dropbox, the data in Dropbox should have been up to date (and should have updated the data on Mac #2), so I don't know where the older data came from.

Fortunately, I think it should be fairly easy to get things corrected here. You should be able to restore your newer data from a 1Password backup on one of your Macs - and if not, you can make a backup of the data in 1Password on your iPhone and use that to restore 1Password on each Mac. Now, because you reformatted Mac #1, and because the data on Mac #2 may not have been current even before this problem started, I don't know for sure if one of the automatic backups on either Mac will have your most recent data, so let's check that first:

• On one of your Macs, open 1Password and go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences.
    • Select the Backup tab.
    • Check the dates of the backups shown there.
    • If you have backups from before the problem happened, you can restore one of those.
    • If you don't have any backups from before the problem happened, follow the above steps to check the backups on your other Mac.

If either Mac has a backup with your up-to-date info, you can restore that, set up Dropbox sync again, and then set up Dropbox sync again on the other Mac.

On the other hand, if neither Mac has a 1Password backup with your up-to-date info, there are other options. Do you have a backup of Mac #1 from before you reformatted it? If so, we can help you get your 1Password data from there and restore it. Alternately, we can help you backup the data from 1Password on your iPhone and use that to restore 1Password on your Macs. Let us know how it all goes, and we'll continue from there. Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.