[Feature Request] Provide more conservative password generation algorithm

Options
nils12345
nils12345
Community Member
edited April 2015 in Mac

Unfortunate 1password failed to generate a valid password almost every time I tried. The reason is that 1password may be able generate safe passwords but none which pass commonly used password policies. It would be very useful if it had a scheme that generates a password that fulfills the following criteria:

• At least one big letter
  • At least one small letter
  • At least one number
  • Does start with a letter
  • Does contain at least one special character from the list: ._-
  • May not contain any character that is not on the previous list
  • That has a default length of 12

I’ve experienced a lot of stupid password policies so far but the rules above have great chances passing all I know.

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @nils12345 ,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write in here with a feature request. We hear a lot of requests for all sorts of options to be added to the password generator. The tricky thing is that implementing all of the requests to ensure that we cover all the bases of these ridiculous password requirements would make for a very confusing password generator, and we certainly don't want that. We're always looking into ways that we can make the password generator even more useful for everyone, and I'm happy to pass along your suggestions.

When it comes to security though, it would be much more desirable if these sites did away with these requirements and just allowed users to generate completely random passwords. While we wait for that magical day, it is important to note that you can edit a password after it has been generated, so you can add those precise details as required.

I'm sorry I don't have a perfect answer for you here, but I hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.