Always prompted to save new Login for a site, even though one already exists [Resolved]

Options
grwil
grwil
Community Member
edited April 2015 in Mac

I have noticed recently that when I use a password from my secondary vault that I get prompted to create a new entry in my primary vault (I don't think this was always the case, it started recently) , I don't want to do this - I have the second vault to separate personal and work passwords. I'm running 1PW 5.3 (MAS) on 10.10.3. Is there a way to turn this off or could it be a bug?

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @grwil,

I'm sorry you keep getting prompted to save a new Login when it already exists in your secondary vault! Whenever 1Password prompts to save a new Login item, the default is to save it in the Primary vault, so I don't think this problem is related to which vault that Login item is saved in. 1Password should realize you already have a Login for that site, but for some reason, it isn't.

The next time you get that prompt when logging into the site, please try this:

• In the prompt to save a new Login, click the 1Password icon on the left side and choose your secondary vault.
    • Save a new Login item.
    • Log out of that website, go back to the login form, and try using the new Login item to log in.

When you use the new Login item, are you still prompted to save another new Login item? Let us know how it goes, thanks!

• grwil
    grwil
    Community Member
    Options

I tried your suggestion but the same thing happened when I tried to login again - I get prompted to save the login again. Its the same no matter what browser I'm using

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @grwil,

Thanks for trying that. Would you be able to let us know the URL for the site where you're running into this problem? If so, we'll be able to test it ourselves to see if we can reproduce it. And also, can you confirm this is happening with just that one site? Or does it happen with others, too?

• grwil
    grwil
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Drew - the site is okta.com (its an SSO portal to a bunch of corporate apps) It seems to be just this site thats the problem, I tried several others from my 2nd vault and don't get the issue. Thanks for your help with this, I'm very happy with 1password !!!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @grwil,

Thanks for the URL! I tested it with 1Password and had the same problem you described, but I think I've figured out how to make it stop asking you to save new Logins each time. The login form on that site has some hidden password fields that are saved in 1Password, and that seems to cause the problem. I fixed it with these steps:

• Open the main 1Password app, find your Login item for that site, and click the Edit button.
    • Click show web form details, and you should see fields for hidden-password-1 and hidden-password-2.
    • Click somewhere in the password field next to hidden-password-1, and delete any text there (or it might be empty).
    • Click somewhere in the password field next to hidden-password-2, and delete any text there (or it might be empty).
    • Do the same thing for other "hidden-password" fields, if there are others (but leave the username and password fields as they are).
    • Click the Save button, then try using that Login item again.

When I did this, it filled the Username and Password fields but I wasn't prompted to save a new Login. Can you please try that and let us know if it works for you? Thanks!

• grwil
    grwil
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG that works for me too!! thanks for the help, you guys are great

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @grwil,

I'm so glad to hear that Drew was able to help you get everything sorted out!

Since this particular issue is resolved, I'll close this thread, but if you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to open a new thread, or email us directly at support+forum@agilebits.com - we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.