5.3.1 requiring earlier sign-in pw.

Options
Dionysius
Dionysius
Community Member

Just upgraded to 5.3.1. It would not respond to my recently-changed (2 mos) sign-in password. It required the older password to access. I can go back to 5.3, and the most recent pw works. Have I missed something here? I have noticed that my iOS 1Password requires the older version, too. Could this be confusing something now?

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Dionysius,

I can think of only one situation that could allow such an oddity to happen and that is if you were using both our Agile Web Store (AWS) and the Mac App Store (MAS) simultaneously. The two versions store their support files in different locations and so it is possible to have two different vaults.

Can you check something for us please. If you launch 1Password 5.3.1 and then look in 1Password > About 1Password does it say Agile Web Store or Mac App Store and then if you do the same with 1Password 5.3 does it match or is it different? I suspect they will differ. Of course we'll know a little more once you get back to us :smile:

• Fluxusquo
    Fluxusquo
    Community Member
    Options

Ow. Imagine my red face right now. I think I can say honestly that 1Password is my most -- esteemed -- daily app, and I have never wanted to pull the trigger for help unless I was really in trouble, not just stupid. Well...if the shoe fits, as they say.

I bow to your perspicacity, Little Bobby. You nailed it in one! And now I will slink slowly away.... But, before I go -- could I implore you for one more bit of advice: Is there any reason -- security or other -- that the iOS app should have a different PW than the Mac app? Thank you once again. And, I do hope that I get at least one more panic call in the future. I promise it won't be soon...

• Fluxusquo
    Fluxusquo
    Community Member
    Options

Ah, yes. This just occurred to me: did I corrupt any processes by running the Agile Web Store version alongside the App Store version? Besides the old AWS version, are there any files I should trash to keep my house in order? Once again, thank you.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Fluxusquo,

That's great news, thanks for confirming that was the problem! No need to feel stupid at all, that sort of thing can be quite confusing - I'm happy it turned out to be an easy solution. I'm sure littlebobbytables will appreciate your kind words, I'll make sure he sees your message! :)

To answer your other questions:

Is there any reason -- security or other -- that the iOS app should have a different PW than the Mac app?

Normally, your master password should be the same on your iOS device(s) and your Mac. You mentioned 1Password for iOS requires your older master password, and that's likely because it synced with the copy of 1Password for Mac that is also using the older master password. Once everything is sorted out on your Mac, the newer master password should sync to iOS.

This just occurred to me: did I corrupt any processes by running the Agile Web Store version alongside the App Store version?

No, that shouldn't corrupt anything. Having the AgileBits Store and Mac App Store versions installed at the same time would mostly just cause some confusion (as you've noticed). There are also some small technical issues that could happen, but nothing that would cause corruption.

Besides the old AWS version, are there any files I should trash to keep my house in order?

No, all you really need to do is delete one copy of 1Password by moving it to the Trash (just make sure you don't use any app cleaning utilities to do that). My guess is that you would want to delete the AgileBits Store version (which is version 5.3.1, and named 1Password 5.app) and keep the Mac App Store version (which is version 5.3, and named 1Password.app). The files that contain your data from the deleted app will still be on your Mac, but that's ok, you don't have to worry about those, it's usually better to leave them there.

Does that help to answer your questions? If you need anything else, please do let us know!

• Fluxusquo
    Fluxusquo
    Community Member
    Options

Drew -- Thanks for the follow-up! And thanks to the whole 1Password Support Team and Community for standing behind a product that very seldom needs standing behind.... (Did that make sense? It's either jibberish or a great marketing slogan! ;-) )

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Fluxusquo, thanks for the kind words! And on behalf of Drew, littlebobbytables and the team, you're most welcome. We're happy to hear you got this sorted, and we'll be here to help if you have any more questions in the future -- big or small. :)

This discussion has been closed.