filling not working

Options
fostage
fostage
Community Member
edited October 2015 in 1Password in the Browser

i have not been able to get autofill to work on my latest macbook pro. i've followed all the posts for fixing this(there is a webpage listed with steps to ensure all the necessary steps are done)and still can't seem to resolve. The other question i have is under sync it's currently set to none, but i need to ensure i can access all my password info from iOS iPad/iphone/macbook pro as well as android phone and windows pc. what's the best way to do that as well

thanks much for answering both questions

Sincerely,

Barry

Comments

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi Barry (@fostage),

Thanks for posting your questions in our discussion forum! Since your primary question pertains to saving and filling in browsers, I've moved your post from the Mac forum to the Saving and Filling in Browsers forum.

I'll answer the more straightforward question first: the best way to sync your 1Password data across iOS, OS X, Windows and Android is Dropbox Sync.

Now on to your filling question...

i have not been able to get autofill to work on my latest macbook pro.

First, just to make sure your expectation is in line with 1Password's capabilities, I'd like to point out that 1Password is not designed to automatically fill a website when it loads; you'll need to specifically select the login item from 1Password first.

If you're running Mavericks, I'll assume you're using 1Password 4, is that correct? And do you have the 1Password extension installed in Safari?

i've followed all the posts for fixing this(there is a webpage listed with steps to ensure all the necessary steps are done)and still can't seem to resolve.

Can you post the URL to the webpage you're referring to? That would help us get a better idea of what you've already tried and keep us from being redundant. :)

There are a couple of different ways you can use a saved login, as outlined here. With as much detail as you can, please describe what steps you're taking when you try to fill a login, and what, if anything, 1Password does in response. An example URL or two that you've tried this on would be helpful as well. Thank you!

• fostage
    fostage
    Community Member
    Options

for every website i visit one password has the ability to record the website and the username and password from that site. When i go to my logins from one password i'm presented with an open and fill option for every site in the database. this option does not work any longer. it used to but for some reason does not now. i have no clue why but it's a feature of one passwords that is supposed to work and doesn't. i'm running one password 5 not 4 and yes the browser extension for safari is installed and running.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @fostage,

Can you describe for us in detail please what happens once you click on a URL from within the main 1Password window.

Regardless of the extension, the very least that should happen is a new tab opens in your default browser and the page loaded. The reason this should work is we pass the URL to OS X using the default http handler and leave it to do the rest. This is all the operating system at this point.

Once the page is loaded, the extension should then fill without any further intervention by the user. 1Password mini communicates that this was an open and fill and this is the only time the extension won't require a user to manually initiate a fill as we don't automatically fill a page with a matching Login item (this is a security feature).

I hope that once we begin to look into the sequence of observable actions we can start understanding where the problem seems to lie and find a resolution :smile:

• ujvb
    ujvb
    Community Member
    Options

I have experienced a similar problem and may be able to point to the issue - latest Mac OS (10.10.3), latest Safari (8.0.6), latest 1Password (5.3).

When I navigate to a page requiring login, with the login fields blank, and hit my "command-\" shortcut the 1Password extension fills the username and password correctly, but does NOT "hit enter" so to speak. This makes it look like the extension is not working, at least not the way it used to when it would automatically log in for you.

Occasionally it has opened up a separate tab, but even in that tab it has not successfully logged in, instead it's a website redirect to some other part of the site that also requires login. (this example specific to www.wellsfargo.com)

The impression of malfunction is enhanced (for me) by the fact that on my home system all logins are automatically populated by Safari itself so when I hit the "command -\" it looks like nothing happens. The login fields are being re-populated but I can' tell because they were filled already...

Hope that helps - and hope it can get fixed somehow.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ujvb,

The first thing worth checking in an instance like this would be to see how Automatically submit logins after filling is set, both globally and per item.

So the global setting can be found in 1Password's preferences, in the Browser tab and it's the top checkbox. Is it enabled or disabled? It is enabled by default and if it is disabled that would be one cause.

Another aspect to check is the per item setting. By default each new item has its submit option set to Submit when enabled and relies on the global setting. To check an items setting you will need to edit it, only then is the setting visible and if for some reason it is set to Never submit then we've also found another probably cause.

If neither of those are the cause do please let us know and we'll continue the troubleshooting process.

• ujvb
    ujvb
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks - both of those settings are correct, unfortunately, and the issue still remains...

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ujvb,

Can you check the existence (or not) of something for me please.

1. Open a Finder window.
    2. Use the keyboard shortcut ⇧⌘G to open a Go to Folder... window.
    3. Enter ~/Library/Application Scripts/ as the target path and click on the Go button.
    4. In that folder do you see a folder titled 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper and if you do is there a single file titled 1Password_Autosubmit.scpt?

This is required for submit after filling and if it isn't present that could be another cause. Does 1Password_Autosubmit.scpt exist for you?

• ujvb
    ujvb
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, it's there. The autofill works on some websites but not all...

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yes, it's there. The autofill works on some websites but not all...

@ujvb: Then it may be helpful if you could provide the URLs where you're having trouble so we can test it ourselves.

While we won't be able to add additional filling functionality to 1Password 4 (it is no longer in active development in favor of 1Password 5), we may be able to offer a workaround. Often simply resaving your login can help, as websites change over time and this will help 1Password understand the current form better.

Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• ujvb
    ujvb
    Community Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Found a fix! The url in question is www.wellsfargo.com. Here is a status report and update:

1) What was happening:

I had a password saved in Safari as well as 1Password. Whenever I navigated to the website Safari would auto-fill the fields so that if I mouse-clicked "ok" I would get logged on. Using the 1Password shortcut would result in nothing happening. If I REMOVED the auto-filled user/password fields, 1Password could re-populate them, but not "press enter" or "hit ok" for me.

2) The fix:

I re-saved the login as suggested. Still nothing. Then I DELETED the Safari auto-fill and presto - now it works.

Clearly something connected to the Safari auto-fill got 1Password confused and may have placed the attention of the app somewhere a simple "return" command didn't achieve the desired result. Having removed it, 1Password can start fresh overtime and that works.

3) The remaining (recurring) problem:

My wife and I share synced 1Password info and Safari logins, and she likes Safari's auto-fill/click functionality so odds are she will restore this and we'll be back to square one.

If this can be taken care of in the next major update for the app, that might make the move worthwhile... :-)

Thanks for all your excellent responses and service.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ujvb,

Thanks for the update. It's good to hear you found a fix! We do generally recommend disabling your browser's password manager, both for security and to avoid the potential filling cage match that you're reporting. Browser vs. 1Password: can't we all just get along??

That being said, this is actually an issue we're aware of, and it is fixed in the latest beta that we're testing, so it may also be fixed in the next stable update for 1Password, though of course that's dependent on any potential Safari updates between now and then.

The auto-fill functionality is something that we've consciously decided not to include in 1Password for security concerns. You can read more about that decision here.

I hope this helps. Thanks again for reporting the issue, and for your continued support of 1Password! You rock. :)

ref: OPX-942, OPX-950

• fostage
    fostage
    Community Member
    Options

when i open one password and click on a website that's been saved as an entry under logins it opens the page in a new tab but doesn't autofill the login name and password. If i hit autofill which is next to the website link it does exactly the same thing. someone on here said this is not supposed to work and i completely disagree. i think it was vee. this used to work for me just fine. So why does it no longer work? i've followed the above recommended suggestions and get nothing. yes i have the .scpt file in the directory listed above just like the other gentleman. Can someone please solve this for me as it's really a pain in the butt that my software that's supposed to remember my usernames and passwords and fill them in for me when i go to my websites doesn't. Got to believe it's possibly a safari issue with one password? i appreciate the assistance. wish there was someone at one password i can talk with instead of typing long comments.

please let me know if there is

thanks much

barry

• fostage
    fostage
    Community Member
    Options

oh and yes this has been checked and verified.he first thing worth checking in an instance like this would be to see how Automatically submit logins after filling is set, both globally and per item.

So the global setting can be found in 1Password's preferences, in the Browser tab and it's the top checkbox. Is it enabled or disabled? It is enabled by default and if it is disabled that would be one cause.

Another aspect to check is the per item setting. By default each new item has its submit option set to Submit when enabled and relies on the global setting. To check an items setting you will need to edit it, only then is the setting visible and if for some reason it is set to Never submit then we've also found another probably cause.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

when i open one password and click on a website that's been saved as an entry under logins it opens the page in a new tab but doesn't autofill the login name and password. If i hit autofill which is next to the website link it does exactly the same thing. someone on here said this is not supposed to work and i completely disagree. i think it was vee. this used to work for me just fine. So why does it no longer work?

@fostage: I'm sorry for the trouble! The problem is that this changes in Safari from version to version. Apple is the platform owner, so we can't really expect them to do other than what they believe is best, in this case in regard to the browser's AutoFill feature.

Do you have AutoFIll disabled in Safari Preference > Passwords? As mentioned earlier in the thread, we've made some adjustments to 1Password in the latest betas to work around this, but ultimately it will always be best to disable the browser's autofill functionality to avoid the password-filling 'cage match' between 1Password and browser, which can change the way it behaves any time there is an update. It's like the Stooges trying to all squeeze through the door at once.

Just to clarify, "Autosubmit / Automatically submit logins" only pertains to submitting the form after 1Password fills the login credentials, so it does sound like that's the issue you're having. I personally prefer to submit the form myself anyway, so I can toggle any options on the page as needed.

If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do would be to use the 1Password Troubleshooting tool to generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums at agilebits dot com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening. Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

• fostage
    fostage
    Community Member
    Options

i did not have this disabled so have turned that off in safari now. i will see if that changes anything. hopefully. thank you for your help

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Do keep us updated @fostage and let us know if we need to continue troubleshooting :smile:

• fostage
    fostage
    Community Member
    Options

still having the problem.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@fosag: I'm sorry you're still having trouble! There must be something deeper that we're missing.

The best thing to do would be to use the 1Password Troubleshooting tool to generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums at agilebits dot com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening. Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. We will get to the bottom of this! :)

This discussion has been closed.