Error while extracting 3.8.22 upgrade

Hi,

I keep getting a message to upgrade my 1Password3 to version 3.8.22 (build #32010). However, it always reports: An error occurred while extracting the archive. Please try again.

This happens every time i open 1Password and attempt to upgrade to the latest version.

Would you please advice so i can continue with 1Password.

1Password Version: 3.8.21
Extension Version: 3.9.21
OS Version: OS X 10.10.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Willow77,

If the updater isn't willing to behave I would recommend trying to download 1Password 3 from our AgileBits Download page. If you download the ZIP file from there does it extract properly? If it does you can simply overwrite the old version of 1Password 3 in your /Applications/ folder with the new one. If it doesn't please let us know.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Willow77: Just to clarify, the 1Password updater just uses the built in OS X Archive Utility to extract the updates, so it's definitely worth looking into why that might be failing on your system -- in case there's a deeper issue there. Cheers! :)

• stegs
    stegs
    Community Member

I am having the same problem. Since the 3.8.22 update (build 32010) was published on 5/21, I've been prompted several times to upgrade. Each time leads to the 'error occurred while extracting the archive' message. This is from updates invoked within the program, and from direct downloads from AgileBits. One thing I don't understand: when downloading from the website, isn't that the updated version? If so, why am I still being prompted (from within the program) to update?

Another issue I've been having since first attempting the update: when I restart my mac/open 1P, it asks me if I want to install the Safari extension (already installed). Whether I answer 'yes' or 'no' - it still asks. Then when I first try to access 1P in Safari, I have to reenter my master password. In other words, it's as though 1P is running in parallel on my system - once for Safari; once for everywhere else I use it.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled both the program and the extension - still same message.

Love the program, regardless of current issue. Thanks -

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @stegs,

If you're running 1Password 3.8.22 then you shouldn't be getting prompted for a 1Password 3 update as that was the last version for 1Password 3. I believe you may be asked if you want to upgrade to 1Password 4 but I don't know if should be getting nagged about that.

The easiest thing to do is check and see what version you're actually running now. If it isn't 1Password 3.8.22 that would certainly explain it. If you download from our AgileBits Download page don't forget you will need to overwrite the copy of 1Password 3 in your /Applications/ folder with the new one downloaded and you will want to do so while 1Password 3 isn't running.

As for the issues regarding extracting the contents of the archive. I've downloaded not just 3.8.22 today but also an older version for testing and both extracted fine for me when I used the built-in OS X archive application. We know some people have had issues when using a third party application so if you are using something other than OS X to handle archived files that may well be the problem.

As to your other query, the extension does require unlocking at least the first time so it can establish a connection with the main 1Password application. In 1Password 3 the extension does have a somewhat autonomous state compared to how the extension works in 1Password 4 & 5. It maintains its own encrypted database within the browser's support files and it can become disconnected from 1Password 3 and still work. That last one isn't an intended feature and one of the things we changed for the better in 1Password 4/5.

Does any of that help?

This discussion has been closed.