1Password for Windows cannot restore from Mac or iOS specific backups [Correct, platform specific]

Options
cyrilmalka
cyrilmalka
Community Member
edited July 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Hello,

I have gone from Mac to Windows. Here is what I did:

• I went into my mac OSX directory user/library/application data/1password 4 and I copied all the backups files to my pc.
  • I downloaded a new version of 1 password for Windows from the site.
  • After installation, I chose "restore from backup"
  • I navigate until I find my backupfiles and pick up one (1Password 2014-04-23 00_06_49 (1 profiles, 483 items, 6 folders, 1 attachments).1p4_zip) - after that date, I used Dropbox to store my keychains, things have been messed up, so I don't have anything anymore, these are the only backupfiles I have.
  • But 1password doesn't accept it. It says it isn't a 1password backup-file.
  • I tried to start 1password as a new user and import from backup from there... Same result.

Thank you for your input.

Cyril

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cyrilmalka: Sorry for the confusion! 1Password has used a few different formats over the years, but the solution is pretty simple: if you rename it from .1p4_zip to .zip, you can simply extract the vault and open it in 1Password as-is. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any questions! :)

• cyrilmalka
    cyrilmalka
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, Brenty,

Thank you for your answer.

Unhappily, it still doesn't work. When I start 1password, and chose "from a backup", if I try to choose the .zip file, it says: This isn't a 1password vault file.

I have packed out the two files OnePassword.sqlite and OnePassword.sqlite-shm and tried to ask 1password to pick them up, but I got the same error: this isnt't a 1password vault file.

Cyril

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@cyrilmalka: Thanks for following up. I'm really sorry about that! I misunderstood what you were trying to do. :(

1Password for Mac uses a different backup format, so you would need to copy the 1Password vault itself (likely 1Password.agilekeychain) over to your new computer, and it will be able to read it, as the vaults themselves are identical for syncing purposes. Alternatively, you could try to restore the vault through the Dropbox website, if that's easier.

Again, I apologize for missing the mark in my initial reply. Please let me know how it turns out!

• cyrilmalka
    cyrilmalka
    Community Member
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hello, Brenty,

No problems :)

Where can I find this 1Password.agilekeychain on my Mac (the Mac has burned out and is out, I only have access to the hardisk via cables and stuff).

Thank you.

Cyril

• cyrilmalka
    cyrilmalka
    Community Member
    Options

Hello again, Brenty,

Do you know where I can find the file 1Password.agilekeychain on my Mac's harddisk?

Thank you.

Cyril

• MikeT
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi @cyrilmalka,

Is there a different Mac you can use or even an iOS device? You need to open 1Password for Mac or iOS to export data from the internal database into the agilekeychain format.

On the Mac and iOS platforms, 1Password uses an internal SQLite-based database to handle multiple vaults and to sync, 1Password exports the data into either the agilekeychain or opvault formats depending on the situation. 1Password for Windows does not have an internal database as it handles the formats directly.

In other words, it is not possible for 1Password for Windows to read the Mac or iOS platform-specific backups, you must restore the backup into the Mac or iOS apps to export them into agilekeychain format that the Windows program can read.

• cyrilmalka
    cyrilmalka
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, Mike,

Well... I could try to use the Mac of my wife, but then, it will wipe her keys, won't it?

Or can I install a trial version aside of her "regular" 1password to read and export it?

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @cyrilmalka,

You can avoid that by creating a separate OS X account and do it there. Once you're done, delete the OS X account.

• cyrilmalka
    cyrilmalka
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, MikeT,

Ho! Yes! Good Thinking :)

So the file I have to read into the trial version of 1Password would be the ones I find in user/library/application data/1password 4

yes? Or is there another place ? (I thought I had 1password5)

• MikeT
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi @cyrilmalka,

Correct, just put the files in exactly where you found it (~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4) and 1Password should start re-reading from there once you open it.

We didn't rename 1Password 4 folder on the Mac to 1Password 5 because 1Password 5 was a direct update to 1Password 4 and it was not worth changing the paths for the troubles it might cause. We will plan this better for future versions.

Once you open 1Password and unlock it, go to the File Menu > Preferences > Sync, select the vault to be synced via Folder Sync and store it on your desktop or USB drive that you can use to move to the PC. Make sure the USB drive is formatted to be compatible with both PC and Mac.

• cyrilmalka
    cyrilmalka
    Community Member
    Options

Hello, MikeT,

I have done (almost) what you said: I started 1Password, selected that I had already one, found the file and used it, then exported into 1pif on my USB and imported the 1pif on the Windows version.

Everything works fine now.

Thank you

Cyril

• svondutch
    svondutch
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2015
    Options

then exported into 1pif on my USB and imported the 1pif on the Windows version

@cyrilmalka Please remember to delete your 1PIF in a secure manner. It contains all your password in plain-text. Thanks!

• cyrilmalka
    cyrilmalka
    Community Member
    Options

Ho, good thinking @svontdutch ! I totally forgot!

Thank you very much.

I will secure-erase it right now.

Thank you

• LauraR
    Options

@cyrilmalka - on behalf of @svondutch you are very welcome :)

This discussion has been closed.