Request: Simple & brief explanation of sync vs backup files.

Options
Aguirre
Aguirre
Community Member
edited July 2015 in Mac

Hi there - Absurd, I know but I have been using 1Password for years (Still on 4.4.2 as I have been holding off on Yosemite) and still do not fully understand the exact difference between a backup and a sync file. Doesn't the sync file have all the same info as the backup?

Thanks for your patience and assistance!

1Password Version: 4
Extension Version: 4.4.2
OS Version: OSX 10.9.5
Sync Type: WiFi (One day I'll be back to the cloud)

Comments

• Jasper
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi @Aguirre,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us!

Sync allows you to keep the same data in sync between multiple devices.

Backups simply create a "snapshot" of your local database. They can be used to "roll back" your device to a previous set of data. This can be helpful in case you accidentally delete or lose some data, or in the rare event that some kind of corruption occurs.

So they both basically contain the same data, but serve different purposes.

It's also worth mentioning, in case you using Multiple Vaults, the sync format is per-vault and backups contain all of your vaults.

Please let us know if you have any other questions. We're always happy to help!

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

If my main computer breaks and all I have is a sync file somewhere in the cloud, can I restore from that sync file if I have no backup files?

Yes, indeed. You would install 1Password on the replacement for your broken computer and configure 1Password to sync to the same place that the broken one did. Your data would sync down from the cloud to your new installation.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I hope that all helps @Aguirre :smile:

Backups are useful when you need to undo something or retrieve old data. Assuming the sync data isn't damaged though it's almost exclusively what gets used to kick start a new copy of 1Password. The only reason we don't like to call it a backup is a) it only contains the most current data - no returning to a prior point in time and b) the sync data can become damaged while backups are copies of the entire SQLite database file and so even if bizarrely one was damaged the chances of all the separate backups being damaged is incredibly remote.

Personally I would recommend something like Time Machine or CCC or SuperDuper! just to give yourself an extra layer of protection not just for 1Password but your entire Mac.

If you have any follow up questions do please ask!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm glad we could help :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.