need instructions to move from version 3 to version 4

Options
Toomanydevices
Toomanydevices
Community Member

i followed the instructions for moving my Passwords (v. 3.6) on my iPad to v.4 on my Mac, but when I got to the importing, the instructions to not jive with the options on my screen. Stuck. Help?!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:need instructions to move from version 3 to version 4

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Toomanydevices: Can you tell me exactly where you're getting stuck? Since you mentioned that " the instructions to not jive with the options on my screen", it may be helpful if you can provide a link to the instructions you're using and a screenshot of what you're seeing.

It sounds like you may have saved a backup of your 1Password data fro the iPad, but backups cannot be "imported"; rather, you can restore from a backup in the same app it was created, but you'd need exported data to do an import. The more information you can provide, the better!

Ultimately the simplest solution may be to Wi-Fi Sync your data from 1Password version 3 on the iPad to 1Password version 3 on the Mac (at the bottom under "legacy"), and then you'll be able to have 1Password 4 use that data as well.

Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• Toomanydevices
    Toomanydevices
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I have 1Password 3.6.5 on the iPad. I cannot get my data onto 1Password 4 on the iPad. It just refuses to move. I have read that I can no longer use DropBox, and the only other option is WiFi. Nothing happens.
    So, I have tried moving the data to my Mac, but cannot find the appropriate/equivalent app (3.6.5) to get it there.
    So, the bottom line is that I can't get the data onto 1P 4 so that it will sync with 1P 4 on myMac (Mac Air using 10.9) , and I can't get 1P 3 on the Mac in order to sync the old version either.

• Toomanydevices
    Toomanydevices
    Community Member
    Options

I have tried downloading 3.8 as you suggested, but when I ask it to find existing data, I can't find my iPad - although it is on the same WiFi network. Have even tried plugging it in. The iPad gives me a code to enter once I have opened 1P on the Mac, but I have no opportunity to use that code....

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Toomanydevices ,

I'm not sure where you've been reading instructions on how to upgrade from 1Password 3 to 1Password 4 on your iOS devices, so I'll share this support article with you that goes through the process. Please note that the instructions are different depending on which version number of 1Password 3 for iOS you're using. If you're on 3.6.5, you'll want to follow the second set of instructions provided.

If these are the steps that you were using, I'd love to know where things went off the rails for you. (This will give us a better idea of how to get you back on track!)

Now, if you'd like to try using Wi-Fi sync to get your data from 1Password 3 for iOS to 1Password 3 for Mac, here are the instructions you'll want to follow.

I hope this helps!

• Toomanydevices
    Toomanydevices
    Community Member
    Options

Megan the instructions work fine until I get to number 5, importing. Then I can no longer follow them since my svreens don't have the menus that you refer to.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Toomanydevices ,

Thanks for getting back to us!

Just to clarify, for step 5, are you opening 1Password 5 on your iOS device, or opening 1Password on your Mac? Step 5 should be done in 1Password on your iOS device. There's a sub-list of instructions on how to set up 1Password 5 for iOS as a new user. Once that's done, you'll be able to go back into the import instructions.

• Toomanydevices
    Toomanydevices
    Community Member
    Options

1) I am trying to go to 1P4, not 1P5. The 1P5 instructions do not work, as I have said above.
    2) I give up.
    3) Thanks anyway.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Toomanydevices: I'm sorry to hear that. Without knowing the instructions you were referring to in your initial post that you were having trouble with, or exactly what you're seeing when you run into the problem, it's hard to determine the best course of action.

If you change your mind and would like to pursue this, perhaps including a link to the aforementioned instructions and a screenshot of what you're seeing would allow us to better assist you, since we have no other way of seeing what you're working with. Any time, we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.