1Password seems to recognise 2 passwords

Options
gerryberet
gerryberet
Community Member

i have reset password in preferences but at random times it seems to recognise 2 passwords - the old one and the new one in order to insert a password/login to a site?
How do i remove all of this and start fresh or do i need to do something else please?

1Password Version: 5.4 beta 31 [540031]
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: os10.10.4
Sync Type: icloud and
Referrer: forum-search:1Password seems to recognise 2 passwords

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gerryberet,

That's very strange - do you mean the 1Password extension sometimes accepts the new/current master password, and sometimes accepts the old master password? When it accepts one, does it reject the other?

I've never heard of 1Password randomly changing which master password it accepts. However, one possible explanation for what you described is that you have both the Mac App Store and AgileBits Store versions of 1Password installed on your Mac. They each keep a separate database, so if you changed the master password for your vault in just one version, the other version would still recognize the old master password. If 1Password mini is enabled for both versions, the extension might be switching which copy of mini it connects to.

You indicated that you're using the beta version of 1Password 5, which is a beta of the AgileBits Store version. But you also mentioned you're using iCloud sync, which is only available in the Mac App Store version. So it sounds like my theory about having both versions installed might be correct. Please check the Applications folder on your Mac - do you have apps named 1Password.app and 1Password 5.app there? If so, your options are basically to remove one, or disable 1Password mini for one. We can help you to do that, but you'll also want to make sure you have all your latest data in the version you'll continue to use. Do they both have the same data? Or does just one have all your latest data? Or does each one have some data the other doesn't?

Let us know how it goes and what you find, and we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• gerryberet
    gerryberet
    Community Member
    Options

You genius - thank you so much i did have 2 installations and have removed the older of the 2 which is the one without the beta versions coming up. But i thought i bought the apple version as my latest one to get the apple continuity but i am not sure.
    Unwisely i deleted that other version using Clean my Mac 3 - bit premature.
    Cannot remember why but i thought i went for the app store version for a good reason - why would that be please?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Excellent! Thanks for the update. On behalf of Drew, you are most welcome! As for the "genius" compliment, I taught him everything he knows!

... :yum:

Okay maybe that part isn't quite accurate, but I can tell you that the only differences between the Mac App Store and AgileBits Store versions of 1Password are A iCloud (App Store only), B upgrade discounts (AgileBits only), and C how you get updates. Otherwise they are identical. Maybe something there rings a bell. Be sure to let us know if you have any other questions! :)

• gerryberet
    gerryberet
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for this - well i reinstalled the apple version download from a back up so back as was. How do i now remove 1 of these after i merge them together as i see i have some bits in one set up and some in another.
    I want to keep the version from the apple store as it is the one that allows a fix in the web browsing aps like chrome etc

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gerryberet,

At this point it sounds like you have both versions the 1Password app installed again:

1Password.app – Mac App Store version
    1Password 5.app – AgileBits Store version

How do i now remove 1 of these after i merge them together as i see i have some bits in one set up and some in another.

So 1Password data that you need is currently stored in both versions, but not all of it is only in one version.

I want to keep the version from the apple store as it is the one that allows a fix in the web browsing aps like chrome etc

And you want to keep the Mac App Store version from Apple, which is the only one that supports iCloud syncing. Both versions use the same web browser extension with Safari, Chrome, Firefox, and Opera so I'm not sure what you mean by "the one that allows a fix in the web browsing aps like chrome etc" for the Mac App Store version.

Please let us know if that information about your 1Password apps and data is correct right now. Then we can provide steps to get all the data you need into the Mac App Store version you'll be keeping, before removing the AgileBits Store version.

If possible, it would be best to only be using the Mac App Store version now since that's the only you'll keep. But if you still need to temporarily use both versions make sure you're only running one of them at a time. To do that, press the ⌃⌘Q keyboard shortcut (Control-Command-Q) in one app before running the other.

Thanks for your help with helping you get this sorted out! :)

• gerryberet
    gerryberet
    Community Member
    Options

Hi
    Yes you have correctly analysed my situation [computers actually]
    And I want to keep the Mac App Store version from Apple, which is the only one that supports iCloud syncing. I have both versions on my Mac.
    As a matter of interest if the AgileBits version is the only one with the beta updates does that mean the apple store version is always a bit behind in development terms?
    So i want to merge all data from both versions i have and then i suspect i would like to keep both versions but keep the AgileBits one asleep but if so does that mean the beta updates are also asleep and not obtainable unless i make that version alive so to speak.
    Also is there any advantage in having the app store version for any reason - do they offer discounts or upgrade discounts as i am sure i was running the agile bits version and then bought the app store version for a reason. Any ideas?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

As a matter of interest if the AgileBits version is the only one with the beta updates does that mean the apple store version is always a bit behind in development terms?

@gerryberet: Only if you're interested in running the beta version. Otherwise they are identical (with the exception of iCloud). ;)

So i want to merge all data from both versions i have and then i suspect i would like to keep both versions but keep the AgileBits one asleep but if so does that mean the beta updates are also asleep and not obtainable unless i make that version alive so to speak.

I use both the Mac App Store version and multiple versions from the website as well. Really the only issue is that if I don't make sure to ⌃ ⌘ Q, I might end up with the wrong copy of the mini running, and that's an easy fix. Also, occasionally OS X itself will launch the wrong one.

Also is there any advantage in having the app store version for any reason - do they offer discounts or upgrade discounts as i am sure i was running the agile bits version and then bought the app store version for a reason. Any ideas?

The primary advantages of the App Store are simplified updates and iCloud. If you don't care about those, then the AgileBits Store version will suit you just fine. No discounts there (besides the occasional sale).

Let me know how you want to proceed and we'll get this straightened out for you. :)

• gerryberet
    gerryberet
    Community Member
    Options

Right thanks for all this info
    I would like to merge and then run both versions and keep all details on each merged - so long as i know how to keep the AgileBits version asleep please thats the way i would like to move please.
    Sorry for the tortuous route to get to here

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gerryberet,

I would like to merge and then run both versions and keep all details on each merged

You would need to use one of the sync options to make sure you have all the same data in both the Mac App Store and AgileBits Store versions of 1Password. But you won't be able to use iCloud sync to do that, because the AgileBits Store version (both stable and beta) doesn't have the ability to sync with iCloud. You can keep them both in sync with each other by using Dropbox sync (or possibly Folder sync), but then I'm not sure if you would still have a reason to keep both versions on your Mac?

...so long as i know how to keep the AgileBits version asleep...

That part is actually pretty easy - just open the AgileBits Store version of 1Password (1Password 5.app), go to the menu for 1Password 5 > Preferences and select the General tab, then disable the option for "Always keep 1Password mini running".

Assuming you want to use the Mac App Store version of 1Password, you can follow these steps to get all your data into that version:

First:

• Open the AgileBits Store version (1Password 5.app) and unlock with your master password (if prompted).
    • Go to File > Backup to make a fresh backup of your data (just as a precaution).
    • In the Preferences window that opens, choose the Sync tab.
    • Choose Folder from the “Sync vault with” pop-up menu (if another sync option was previously selected, click the Disable Sync button but do not choose to delete the data).
    • Click the Choose button, then select the Desktop (and click Open).
    • Click Create New (this will create a 1Password.agilekeychain file on the Desktop).
    • Hold the Control key and go to the menu for 1Password 5 > Quit 1Password and 1Password mini.

Next:

• Open the Mac App Store version (1Password.app) and unlock with your master password (if prompted).
    • Go to File > Backup to make a fresh backup of your data (just as a precaution).
    • In the Preferences window that opens, choose the Sync tab.
    • Change the sync option from iCloud to Folder and click the Disable Sync button (do not choose to delete the data).
    • Click the Choose button, then select the 1Password.agilekeychain file on the Desktop (and click Open).
    • Click Merge With Existing (enter your master password if prompted).
    • Assuming all goes well, once that syncs, you can switch back from Folder to iCloud sync (you'll be prompted again to merge data, which is fine).

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions about that, just let us know. :)

• gerryberet
    gerryberet
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Drew

Another great help and brilliant directions so thank you for handholding me through this - i should have been able to think it out myself but heh with genius on tap its best to go that way.

Now i have done the merge so all good there and disabled 1password mini but it tells me when i try to use the link on chrome i must have 1password mini running - can i get the 1password5 to mount a tab in chrome please?

• littlebobbytables
    Options

Greetings @gerryberet,

So the reason Drew suggested disabling the Always keep 1Password mini running option in the beta version is that bizarrely, and you will think it's nuts, we can't control which copy of 1Password mini OS X will attempt to launch so by not allowing the beta version to keep 1Password mini running we're trying to limit the problems you might have there. What it means though is any time you close 1Password 5 you don't have 1Password mini running in the background.

Your options are either to remember to launch 1Password (the Mac App Store version) after you're finished playing with the beta so that 1Password mini stays running in the background or not to shut the main 1Password 5 window as closing the window terminates the application. You will also want to do this before loading the page you want to fill because the extension needs to have made the connection beforehand - I run into this issue a lot due to the testing we do here. Now all you need to do is reload the page but you can avoid that by ensuring 1Password mini is running beforehand.

Running the AgileBits Store beta and the Mac App Store stable is possible but it is a bit tricky because of 1Password mini. As long as you remember about 1Password mini though it definitely is doable. Does any of that help?

• gerryberet
    gerryberet
    Community Member
    Options

Right thanks for that - am i getting this right -if i run 1P5 with 1P mini running then i will not have any issues so long as i dont start 1P and do the beta updates. If i do the beta updates i need to close the 1P down before i do anything else - so in fact a bit pointless doing the updates as a routine. BUT the best discounts come from you but i would have to buy the app store version anyway if i want 1Cloud compatibility.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gerryberet,

I'm glad to hear that Little Bobby's explanation helped!

Basically, as long as only one copy of 1Password and one copy of 1Password mini is running, you'll be ok. For the average user, leaving 1Password mini running all the time is a great way to access the 1Password database, even if the main app is closed. If you are switching back and forth between stable and beta, the key is to use ⌘⌃Q ( Command-Control-Q ) when quitting, which will quit the Mini as well, so that when you open the other version, the correct mini will open as well.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @gerryberet,

Whenever the 1Password app opens it also runs 1Password mini (for that version, e.g. Mac App Store stable or AgileBits Store beta) in the background if it's not already running (conflicting copy issues aside). Like Megan, brenty, and I have mentioned, using the ⌘⌃Q (Command-Control-Q) app shortcut to quit the 1Password app and its 1Password mini is a convenient way to ensure neither is still running before opening the other version. That comes in handy when the Always keep 1Password mini running option is enabled in General Preferences for either or both versions. The advantage of having it enabled is so you're able to use 1Password mini and browser extensions with the currently running version without leaving the main app open. Of course you do need to reopen the correct version's app to use ⌘⌃Q before switching to the other version.

Something else to be aware of when switching between Mac App Store and AgileBits Store versions of 1Password is that browser extension usage when mini isn't already running might open mini from either version, seemingly at random. Opening the version of 1Password (and its mini) that you want to use before opening any browsers you'll use the extension with is one way of avoiding that.

Similar to what Drew explained in his original reply, if master passwords differ for each version of 1Password and the extension has "randomly" picked which version of mini to communicate with, that's a possible reason for the title of this thread: 1Password seems to recognise 2 passwords. Different versions of 1Password mini only need to be installed for it to happen, enabled or not, when opened through the extension.

Adding a bit to Megan's helpful hint:

Basically, as long as only one copy of 1Password and one copy of 1Password mini is running, you'll be ok.

Also make that one copy the correct one at any given time. :)

• gerryberet
    gerryberet
    Community Member
    Options

Greetings once again
    I am having a great deal of problems operating the 2 systems so i would be grateful if you would walk me through getting all contacts together etc and then eliminating the one that apple does not help with or whatever the arrangement is with the 2 types - in upgrades i dont want to have to buy twice really i think.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @gerryberet,

Running the two versions can be tricky even if you spend every day with the application. Under certain circumstances OS X may quit one copy to launch the other - it can be fun :tongue:

Now earlier in the thread Drew posted details on how to merge so that the two vaults remained in sync. It sounded like you did do this and you got the two vaults connected via a Agile Keychain on your Mac, is this correct? If it is the two copies should still be in sync and all we have to do is remove one copy.

Let's say the two vaults are synced and you've confirmed this. What I would do is launch the copy just titled 1Password and then quit it using the keyboard shortcut ⌃⌘Q. This ensures no copy of 1Password mini is running. Now drag the coy titled 1Password 5 to your Trash and finally reboot your Mac. Now the vault for the AgileBits Store version will still be on your Mac and we can show you how to remove it but the Mac App Store version of 1Password, the one only titled 1Password won't ever interact with it.

After that it's a matter of setting up sync if you need it to synchronise to other devices etc.

If the two aren't in sync please let us know. I would hope Drew's post would help here but if it doesn't please do say where things seem to be breaking down.

If you need assistance in setting up sync with other devices please do let us know.

No matter what, we can definitely get this resolved for you :smile:

This discussion has been closed.