Syncing with iCloud Drive [1Password uses CloudKit, not available on Windows ATM]

jblyon3
jblyon3
Community Member
edited August 2015 in 1Password 4 for Windows

Since Apple introduced iCloud Drive, will this become a syncing option for Windows Desktop users? All my devices are Apple but due to work requirements I have to use a PC as my main computer. Having the ability to sync via iCloud Drive would enable me to get rid of Dropbox completely. BTW: WiFi-Sync isn't an option since doesn't automatically sync when on the same network.

1Password Version: 4.6.0.585
Extension Version: 4.4.2
OS Version: Window 7, iOS 8.4.1
Sync Type: iCloud Drive
Referrer: kb-search:store database on iCloud Windows, kb:icloud-needs-cloudkit

Comments

• @jblyon3 - Unfortunately 1Password can only use iCloud to sync Apple devices - Macs and iOS devices. We have a great write up on this here.

• Hi @jblyon3,

Dropbox is the only way to automatically sync to all platforms that 1Password is on. The other sync methods will have some kind of limitations.

There is another way that does require a bit of more work, you can use Folder Sync in the Mac apps to sync the 1Password file to your iCloud Drive and let your PC at work use it. However, you'd need to use Wi-Fi sync on your Macs to sync to your iOS devices while keeping Folder Sync on. If you sync between your Mac and iOS devices more often, the iCloud Drive will push the data to your Windows PC, so you could still sync to all devices, just not during the time your iOS devices are not in the same network as the Macs.

• admdly
    admdly
    Community Member

@MikeT

This is no longer the case with the release of CloudKit Web Services / CloudKit JS. I realise these are only specified in a preliminary form at this time, but has AgileBits tested the service and will this be available in the future for cross platform syncing?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@admdly: It's not something we're going to jump on until it's final, since both our customers' data and our own is at stake. That said, it's certainly something we're excited about and looking into. I can't say more than that at this time. ;)

This discussion has been closed.