Can I create a JSON file for a site that only asks for selected fields on each login?

Options
michthom
michthom
Community Member
edited September 2015 in Mac

I'm logging into an investment broker in the UK (AJ Bell YouInvest). As you can appreciate I'd like the login to be as secure as possible for obvious reasons!

They have a 2-step login system, so I have a basic 1P login for the username on this page: https://youinvest.co.uk/LogIn/username

So far, no problem at all. Following excellent advice in the forums I created a second login for the subsequent page:
https://youinvest.co.uk/securelogin

On this page there are fields to request three characters at random from my password, plus an answer to a security question.

I exported the JSON from the saved login, and could see the (well defined) fields clearly for the three characters selected from 12 in the initial entry:
{"value":"OBFUSCATED",
"id":"edit-password-challenge-challenges-6;opid=__3",
"name":"password_challenge[challenges][6]",
"type":"P",
"designation":"password"},
{"value":"**OBFUSCATED**",
"id":"edit-password-challenge-challenges-7;opid=__4",
"name":"password_challenge[challenges][7]",
"type":"P"},
{"value":"**OBFUSCATED**",
"id":"edit-password-challenge-challenges-9;opid=__5",
"name":"password_challenge[challenges][9]",
"type":"P"},

So, I tried to add additional entries for the other characters, gave each a sequential "opid=__n" value, made sure none of the other fields had overlapping opid numbers, then re-imported.

Imagine my surprise (NOT!) when my naive attempt at cleverness didn't work... 1P was unable to recognise the (random selection of) fields when it saw the page next, I'm guessing because a) only three of the 12 potential character fields were present, and b) because the opid values I'd manually picked didn't match the then-current values (I'm guessing 1P generates these dynamically itself when the page is parsed??)

So - I know AgileBits developers and support staff are the most awesome in the whole world, and I know that this is not as serious a problem as solving World Hunger or even who wins the next World Series. But if it's not IMPOSSIBLE, then, perhaps there's a solution somewhere?

Yours in hope rather than expectation
Mike

1Password Version: 5.3 (530029) Mac App Store
Extension Version: 4.4.3
OS Version: OS X 10.10.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:selected fields

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

So, I tried to add additional entries for the other characters, gave each a sequential "opid=__n" value, made sure none of the other fields had overlapping opid numbers, then re-imported.

@michthom: Yikes! Well, that was certainly a clever idea. Unfortunately as you've seen this is not something that is currently possible with 1Password, but we'll certainly see if it's a feature that can be implemented in the future.

I do, however, have a more short-term option for you. Now, this is currently only in the beta version, but barring any unforeseen circumstances it should see final release in the near future:

And of course you can use the beta now if you're in a hurry. Just download it from our website. I hope this helps! :)

• michthom
    michthom
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Brenty. I guess I was hoping that since the fields in this case have well-defined "name" and "id" attributes, that 1P would be able to select those, if suitable fields were in the login item, even if it's a subset of all the fields. But if the rule is that everything has to match, then clearly this is a non-starter.
    I like the new numbered large type feature, and may use that once it hits the App Store version.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

But if the rule is that everything has to match, then clearly this is a non-starter.

@michthom: Indeed. It is a bit of a bummer, but if we can figure out a way to do this reliably in the future I think we'll all be elated!

I like the new numbered large type feature, and may use that once it hits the App Store version.

Thanks for letting us know! We're looking forward to getting this out of beta and into everyone's hands, as Large Type is only one of many improvements we've been working on. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.