DropBox and iTunes Producer still want me to enter passwords.

Options
1SandyRav3n
1SandyRav3n
Community Member

I recently bought a new MacBookPro, and last night I downloaded the free trial of 1Password5. So I spent the evening reading the manual, going to all the sites I visit and making sure all my passwords were correct and saving them in 1Pass. I also made sure my DropBox account was synced, and everything worked well last night.

When I woke up this morning, my computer asked for a password for DropBox first thing. Then, when I went into iTunes Producer, it asked me to fill that in. None of the other sites are doing this. I checked all the saved locations in my 1Pass, and those two accounts and passwords are in there.

I was really hoping this would be THE thing for me to keep me from having to carry around a password book everywhere I go. With all the changes of passwords, my little spiral notebook looks messy.

Anyway… Is there something I did incorrectly when trying to save those passwords to those two locations? Or are there certain accounts that just don’t sync with 1Password? I’m a writer, I’ve had my DropBox Business account for years… it’s how I get my covers from the graphic artist, manuscripts to my editors, scripts to narrators, etc.

Any insight as to how I can make not ask me for passwords? Or will I be doomed to carrying this falling-apart little spiral notebook forever?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I still have to enter passwords to two sites after saving them yesterday. Why?

Comments

• 1SandyRav3n
    1SandyRav3n
    Community Member
    Options

Google is now asking me for my password. What gives?

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @1SandyRav3n,

First of all, thank you for trying 1Password! Sorry for the confusion here.

1Password can help you generate stronger passwords, and it can store your passwords for you and fill them in to help you login to websites, but it cannot keep you from being asked for passwords to login to websites or apps. If you want to stay signed in to specific apps and websites, those are settings you'll need to adjust within each of those, rather than with 1Password.

For instance, when you go to Gmail, the website will ask you to login. There will be a box you can manually check to stay signed in on that website if you want to, and you can use 1Password (either the browser extension, or as I prefer, the ⌘\ keyboard shortcut) to fill your saved credentials into the username and password fields and login to the website.

You can read more on how that works here: Using a Saved Login

It's a matter of security that 1Password will not automatically login to any site you navigate to. We want to make sure that you're in charge of when and where you login, and you're consciously making the choice to do so.

And as long as you can remember your Master Password to unlock your 1Password vault (as well as any password you have locking your computer or device, and possibly your Dropbox password as a backup), then you can burn or shred that notebook, because your passwords will be much safer in your encrypted vault. :+1:

I hope this clarifies things a bit, but I and my teammates will be happy to answer any other questions you may have about 1Password! :)

ref: MQZ-88744-948

• 1SandyRav3n
    1SandyRav3n
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there, and thanks for the reply.

I never expected that the software would keep me logged in to any websites, but that I could click on the "Log In" button and not have to worry about filling out a password that I don't remember and would have to look up.

For the most part I've had no issues. It's just with my DropBox, iTunes Producer, and Google. All three of which are very important in my day-to-day work. I still have to remember those passwords. (I have three Gmail accounts, personal, website, and work. So that's five passwords.) I was under the impression that 1Password5 would automatically fill out, the password portion FOR me, with the pre-memorized password. Is this correct? If so, how can I make 1Password auto-fill those blanks? And the hot key combination isn't doing anything at all when I press them. I get nothing.

I do have an Apple One-to-One appointment tomorrow afternoon. So I hope someone there can help me figure this out.

Thanks,
    Sandy

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I was really hoping this would be THE thing for me to keep me from having to carry around a password book everywhere I go. With all the changes of passwords, my little spiral notebook looks messy. [...] Any insight as to how I can make not ask me for passwords? Or will I be doomed to carrying this falling-apart little spiral notebook forever?

@1SandyRav3n: Passwords are probably here with us to stay for a long time to come. After all, that's why you have 1Password — to store them all securely so you can burn that old notebook (definitely not something to recycle!)

I never expected that the software would keep me logged in to any websites, but that I could click on the "Log In" button and not have to worry about filling out a password that I don't remember and would have to look up.

1Password will never fill any of your sensitive information without you telling it to do so. If it did, you might find it filling a password in the wrong place or at the wrong time. Only you decide where and when 1Password fills your login credentials.

For the most part I've had no issues. It's just with my DropBox, iTunes Producer, and Google. All three of which are very important in my day-to-day work. I still have to remember those passwords. (I have three Gmail accounts, personal, website, and work. So that's five passwords.) I was under the impression that 1Password5 would automatically fill out, the password portion FOR me, with the pre-memorized password. Is this correct? If so, how can I make 1Password auto-fill those blanks? And the hot key combination isn't doing anything at all when I press them. I get nothing.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, isn't iTunes producer an app rather than a website? 1Password can only fill login information in your web browser, and only if you have the 1Password extension installed there:

1Password Browser Extensions

3rd party apps don't offer a way for 1Password to integrate with them, but you can still store your login credentials in 1Password and copy and paste it as needed. Much simpler and more secure than the notebook.

But you can use the extension to save a website login:

How to manually save a Login

And only then — once you've installed the extension and used it to save a Login item — can you use 1Password to fill it (and this is where ⌘ \ comes in handy):

Using a saved Login

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions! :)

• 1SandyRav3n
    1SandyRav3n
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

I wanted to update you on my problem I have been having.

I have managed to get everything EXCEPT Google to work with 1Password5. So I googled "1Password5 not working with Google," and it seems there is a known problem with this when using Chrome. This will be a problem for me as I use Chrome exclusively.

My question now is, if you will work on fixing this problem. I would love to purchase the program as I think it's what I need to use when my new assistant starts later this month. She needs access to some of my social media accounts for promotion, but I don't want her having access to certain sensitive areas.

Please let me know if this is something that I can count on being fixed before I go much further.

Thanks,
    Sandy Raven

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @1SandyRav3n,

Thanks for the update. Can you please explain the problem you're having with Google? I'm able to use 1Password to login to my Google accounts with no problem in Chrome. If you can also provide a link to the page where you read that this is a known problem, that will give us much more context to work with to understand what you're referring to. The more detail you can give about the problem, the better we'll be able to help you. Thanks in advance!

• 1SandyRav3n
    1SandyRav3n
    Community Member
    Options

The 1Password app is not remembering my Google passwords. I have three emails (work, personal, and website.) Both yesterday morning, and this morning, (I downloaded the trial version of 1Password5 on the evening of 9/2) I have had to re-enter my passwords for the individual Google accounts each time I turn on the computer. So, I'm entering the 1Password5 login, and when I go to my email, or to Google+, I'm entering that Google account's password. It remembers it, up until the computer goes to sleep or I turn it off and come back. 1Password does remember all the other passwords to the various sites I visit. I've figured out that I can "cancel" the requested sign in for DropBox (an issue earlier,) and DropBox works just fine. iTunes producer is working fine now also. It's just this issue with Google.

I do use Chrome, and as I said above I've been googling and reading about 1Password users having this issue. As you have asked above, I went back to my search and all of the searches I was looking at earlier, and most everything I'm seeing is here on your website. So it's obviously something you (not you, personally, of course,) are aware of.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/223752/#Comment_223752

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=chrome 1password extension not working

I don't know which version of Chrome I use. This is a new computer, less than two months old. If I can get this ONE issue resolved, then I think I would feel more comfortable purchasing the full app, to use in my office. I'm a writer, and recently hired a virtual assistant who will be starting later this month. She'll need some limited access to do some social media work for me. I'm looking for a level of security to keep her from getting into my personal information. 1Password was recommended to me by a friend who loves it.

I so want to love this, because I have to carry around a little spiral notebook that is messy, scribbled in, on and over, with changed passwords.

Thanks for any help.
    Sandy

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hi @1SandyRav3n,

I'm sorry, I think there may be a misunderstanding here. 1Password can not keep websites from asking you for your password. This is intended behavior, because that would not be secure. 1Password can securely store and fill in the login information in the browser for you.

Whenever a website asks you to login, you can use 1Password to enter your saved login credentials--either by using the ⌘ \ keyboard shortcut, or by selecting the appropriate login from the 1Password extension button in the browser or Mini icon in the menu bar.

Your Google search for "chrome 1password extension not working" is fairly vague, and the issue that you found discussed in our forums is, I believe, not the same as the issue you're describing. You can see what version of Chrome you're using by selecting Chrome > About Google Chrome from the menu bar. If the version number displayed there is anything below 46, then that issue is unrelated. That issue is that our extension does not work at all in unstable prerelease versions of browsers.

Does this clear things up at all?

• 1SandyRav3n
    1SandyRav3n
    Community Member
    Options

<< I'm sorry, I think there may be a misunderstanding here. 1Password can not keep websites from asking you for your password. This is intended behavior, because that would not be secure. >>

Yes, I understand this now.

<< 1Password can securely store and fill in the login information in the browser for you. >>

Then please explain to me how I can get this to work for my Google accounts.

<< Whenever a website asks you to login, you can use 1Password to enter your saved login credentials--either by using the ⌘ \ keyboard shortcut, or by selecting the appropriate login from the 1Password extension button in the browser or Mini icon in the menu bar. >>

The hot keys do not work for me for some reason. The combination of "Command, Forward Slash" does nothing.

<< Your Google search for "chrome 1password extension not working" is fairly vague, and the issue that you found discussed in our forums is, I believe, not the same as the issue you're describing. >>

Yes, I understand that now. But how can I fix the issue I am currently having?

<< You can see what version of Chrome you're using by selecting Chrome > About Google Chrome from the menu bar. If the version number displayed there is anything below 46, then that issue is unrelated. That issue is that our extension does not work at all in unstable prerelease versions of browsers. >>

I am using Version 45.0.2454.85 (64-bit)

<< Does this clear things up at all? >>

Not really. I'm trying my best to understand it. I'm not a techno-phobe, nor a complete luddite. But, I am unable to figure this out. When I try to log into any of my Google accounts I have to type in the passwords. Hot keys to auto-fill do not seem to be working to fill in the passwords. And, while I don't have to carry around the spiral notebook right now because it does seem to work for most everything... I still have to remember my Google passwords for the three different accounts.

Help?
    Sandy

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Then please explain to me how I can get this to work for my Google accounts.

@1SandyRav3n: As Vee mentioned earlier, if you can give us the URL where you're having trouble (Google has a lot of login portals), the exact steps you're taking, and what is (or is not) happening as you expect, we can test it ourselves and give you step by step instructions to help! Since it's working fine for both of us, it isn't possible to know exactly where things are going wrong in your case without the details.

The hot keys do not work for me for some reason. The combination of "Command, Forward Slash" does nothing.

The default is Command Backslash ⌘ \ (not Forward Slash /). Are they set up in 1Password Preferences > General?

Do you have the 1Password extension installed in Chrome?

And if for some reason another app is preventing the keyboard shortcut from working, you can always click the 1Password extension button in the browser toolbar to perform the same function by selecting the login there:

Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• 1SandyRav3n
    1SandyRav3n
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brenty,

This is the google login page that I usually use. It's my G+ login that's important to me, personally because it's where the hangout is for my family.

https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin?service=oz&amp;passive=1209600&amp;continue=https://plus.google.com/u/0/?gpsrc=gplp0&partnerid=gplp0

See if you can get that one to work.

I'm going to check the preferences now. (And I've been known to get the back/forward slash thing mixed up quiet frequently.) I think the extension is installed properly as it does appear in my browser's toolbar, and I went to make sure that it is enabled.

AHA!!! It works if I open the Google login page, then click on the 1Pass Mini icon next to the browser, then select the account (Google-work.) Now what does this mean? Good, bad?

Does that mean there is something blocking the app from working properly?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

AHA!!! It works if I open the Google login page, then click on the 1Pass Mini icon next to the browser, then select the account (Google-work.) Now what does this mean? Good, bad?

@1SandyRav3n: Perfect! :)

Just make sure that's the URL you have saved in your Google-work login if that's the one you use the most. That way if you're in the browser but not already at the Google login page you can:

1. Click the 1Password button
    2. Type to search for "Google-work"
    3. Select that login (either with the keyboard or mouse)

1Password will open the URL saved in the login and fill it when the page loads. I think that will do the trick for you!

Does that mean there is something blocking the app from working properly?

To me, it sounds like it's working for you, you're just getting use to it. But if you run into any issues when doing what I described above, let me know exactly what's happening and we'll get you back on track! :)

• 1SandyRav3n
    1SandyRav3n
    Community Member
    Options

Okay, thanks!

I'll just have to play with it more during this trial period.

:-D
    Sandy

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Yes! That's what it's for. And be sure to let us know if you have any other questions. That's what we're here for! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.