Change vaults before entering code?... on non-thumbprint device.

Options
RunInCircles
RunInCircles
Community Member
edited September 2015 in iOS

What I’m referring to:

I have a couple of mobile devices which does not have the thumbprint ID
I’d like to specify which vault I want to access before entering a quick passcode.

Detail:
There is the long password for a vault entry.
When you restart your mobile device, it asks for the long version.

There is also a short code for quicker entry which is available between restarts. Nice feature.
However, this is a shortcut into all of 1Password. The vault choices don’t occur until after it is entered.

This occasion is inconvenient if you have to enter the passcode several times in public.

Example:
For example, a wagering app at the racetrack. I have noticed that iPads, iPhones & iPods are relatively popular there.

This is one case where a large entry screen would be inconvenient.

What I’m trying to do, is avoid flashing my short [master/default vault] code every time I enter a special vault into which I would migrate the wifi wagering application.

I know this circumstance goes away if I buy a newer device, but at this time, this is not on my horizon. Lets say my iPod is still the current generation.

Further, another admittedly far-fetched scenario for not using a thumbprint entry might be the fact that if you get stopped for a traffic ticket, currently the police cannot demand the password for your device, however forcing fingerprint entry IS permissible. (From what I’ve read, they can force you to use the thumbprint. A wild hair, yes).

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hi @RunInCircles,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. At present time all unlocking in 1Password for iOS is done for the primary vault. I'm not aware of any immediate plans to re-tool this, and frankly it would take quite a bit of "under the hood" work to change, but I can definitely see how it would be beneficial, and will pass the feedback along.

Thank you!

Ben

• vincebhh
    vincebhh
    Community Member
    Options

Dear agilebits,

I would also love to see this feature.
    I use 1password for pretty much all sensitive information as well as for access to non-important websites.
    The password for my primary vault is LONG, since it protects all my personal information, while my password for my non-important websites vault is short.
    As you can imagine, I seldom use my primary vault, but my secondary vault is used all the time.
    On my Mac I can simply enter my vault password to enter my secondary vault, but on my mobile devices I need to enter the long password all the times.
    This is such a pain, that I pretty much stopped using 1password for all regularly visited websites, which is stupid, since this should exactly be the usecase for it.
    Beeing able to simple enter the secondary vault password on the mobile devices would be a killer feature for 1password.
    Please consider implementing it.

Thank you.

• dszp
    dszp
    Community Member
    Options

@vinccebhh It sounds like you use the secondary-vault-only unlock feature that is in the Mac version of 1Password, in addition to what you posted about originally. It's a bit of a side note, but if you're using 1Password 5 on Mac and rely on that feature, you may want to hold off upgrading to version 6 as the feature has been refactored and does not allow secondary vault unlocking independent from the primary vault (for security reasons). It's explained in the thread at https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/56271/separate-passwords-for-vaults Just wanted you to be aware in case that was something that affected you!

• vincebhh
    vincebhh
    Community Member
    Options

@dszp thanks for the comment.
    I will stay with 5 and comment in the other thread as well to illustrate the demand.
    This pretty much kills 1password for me, since I would need to switch to an quickly enterable master password and remove all my sensitive information :(

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the feedback here folks. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.