Just 4 days remaining, need to buy.

Options
robert_osgood
robert_osgood
Community Member

For a single license on a Mac, what is the best deal currently? Is 49.99 the reduced price? If the password data file is saved to the iCloud Drive, it should be accessible from iCloud, right?

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11
Sync Type: iCloud/iCloud Drive
Referrer: forum-search:For a single license for Mac, what is the best deal? If saved to iCloud Drive, is Apple, right?

Comments

• robert_osgood
    robert_osgood
    Community Member
    Options

For a single license on a Mac, what is the best deal currently? Is 49.99 the reduced price? If the password data file is saved to the iCloud Drive, it should be accessible from iCloud, right?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:For a single license for Mac, what is the best deal? If saved to iCloud Drive, is Apple, right?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @robert_osgood,

It looks like you accidentally posted the same question in two different threads, so I merged them together in this discussion to avoid confusion.

Just 4 days remaining, need to buy.

Do you mean 1Password is saying you have 4 days left in a the free trial? If so, you must be using the AgileBits Store version of 1Password on your Mac, as there is no trial mode for the Mac App Store version. But if I misunderstood you, please let us know.

For a single license on a Mac, what is the best deal currently? Is 49.99 the reduced price?

That's the current/full price of 1Password for Mac (not a reduced price). We do occasionally have promotions/sales, but we don't announce them ahead of time.

If the password data file is saved to the iCloud Drive, it should be accessible from iCloud, right?

Actually, no - not if I understand what you mean. Again, I'm assuming you're using the AgileBits Store version of 1Password 5 for Mac, which doesn't have the iCloud sync option. iCloud sync is only available in the Mac App Store version because it uses Apple's CloudKit technology, which can currently only be used by apps sold through Apple's App Store. We have more information in these knowledgebase articles:

So, if you're using the AgileBits Store version, did you perhaps use the Folder sync option to save a .agilekeychain file in your iCloud Drive folder? I'm afraid that's not how the actual iCloud sync option works. 1Password uses CloudKit for its iCloud sync option, not iCloud Drive. Admittedly, it's a bit confusing because even though CloudKit and iCloud Drive are two very different iCloud services, you must have iCloud Drive enabled in order for CloudKit to work.

If you want to use iCloud sync in 1Password 5 for Mac, you're going to need to purchase 1Password from the Mac App Store. When you do that, it will install a separate copy of the 1Password app on your Mac, in addition to the AgileBits Store version you currently have installed. But don't worry, it's really easy to switch from one to the other, and we have a guide to help you do that here: Switching to the version of 1Password from the Mac App Store

I'm sorry for any confusion about that! Hopefully this helps to clear it all up, but if you're still confused and/or have more questions about that, please let us know - we're here for you! :)

• robert_osgood
    robert_osgood
    Community Member
    Options

Drew,
    Thank you for your prompt answer. Yes, what you pieced together is absolutely right. Thank you for simplifying the question.

I'm thinking of sharing my 1Password data file over iCloud for the PC to access, can the data file can be shared on both PC and Mac?

Regards,

Robert Osgood

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @robert_osgood,

If you are hoping to use 1Password on both a Mac and Windows machine then I feel it would be prudent to inform you that our licences are per platform. That means if you have both Macs and Windows machines you'll need a licence for each. Now on our site we do offer a bundle deal for the two but of course that means no iCloud Sync. That isn't the deal breaker it might seem to be though as 1Password for Windows isn't about to sync using iCloud anyway. If the goal is 1Password on those two platforms my personal recommendation would be our bundle deal and Dropbox for syncing between the two. In that situation you can easily share a vault and have them remain in sync on both machines using Dropbox.

Does that help at all? If you do have any follow up questions please do ask :smile:

• robert_osgood
    robert_osgood
    Community Member
    Options

That's a disappointment. Your reputation is at stake. I've been told two stories, now a third one.
    1. I heard a person could get 1Password at a reduced price, $30 or even less if it's packaged as a bundle. I obtained a trial from the company website for testing. I saved the datafile on the iCloud Drive. I discovered I enjoy the way it works.
    2. I heard Agilebits offers both a Mac and PC version that can both be picked up as a package for the price of one full priced $49. On your site, but, if I provide proof of purchase from the Apple store, I could pick up the PC version at no additional cost. I activated iCloud on the PC. Now I'm told iCloud won't share with the PC.

So in conclusion, a person doesn't need to purchase from Apple to get 1Password to save to the iCloud, during the setup, I saved it to the iCloud drive (which is Apple's storage). I was told I had to purchase from Apple Store. I was prepared to purchase it from you folks. The PC does talk to iCloud, to my surprise, because I set it up. Now if I have to go to dropbox, I guess that would be okay. I have proof that supports my claim, by way of emails (both emails that have transpired during the past week and they're available on your system as well) that the offer is acceptable for the PC version as long as I provide proof. I purchased at full price on App Store. What happened?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @robert_osgood,

iCloud consists of many components. One of these is iCloud Drive which appears as a folder on your Mac. You can drag a file into iCloud Drive and it will be visible elsewhere. Apple do supply software that allows you to view the contents of your iCloud Drive on a Windows machine. iCloud Sync is another part of iCloud but iCloud Sync relies on certain iCloud frameworks which can only be accessed by apps or applications obtained in one of Apple's stores. This is an Apple restriction. iCloud Sync data is not visible in iCloud Drive and cannot be accessed by a Windows program. So despite each part starting with the word iCloud it is best to visualise them as being very distinct.

Now it is possible to instruct 1Password for Mac to use Folder Sync and point it to iCloud Drive. This isn't the same as iCloud Sync though and it's behaviour may be unpredictable as it hasn't been tested. It also could not be accessed by 1Password for iOS as we don't support iCloud Drive. In these situations we recommend Dropbox as everything supports it.

So when brenty told you iCloud Sync required the Mac App Store version he was telling you the truth. At the time he wasn't aware that you desired syncing with a Windows machine otherwise he would have informed you that iCloud is not the best option.

As far as the pricing goes, the prices have been consistent for as long as I can remember. We offer a single licence for X and for those that want both platforms the total price is discounted by a fixed percentage. I have never known it to be as high as 50% though so the two platform licence has always been more expensive than a single platform but does offer a saving over purchasing the two at full price. In our sales we discount all the prices by a fixed percentage which means the bundle is more cost effective but still, always higher than a single licence.

Some people do purchase the Mac App Store version and then want to add a Windows licence. With proof of purchase we've always been quite happy to offer a discount so that the overall cost to the person is the same as our bundle price. If you hadn't already purchased from the Mac App Store my advice is what we would recommend.

I hope that helps clarify matters but if it doesn't please do say.

• robert_osgood
    robert_osgood
    Community Member
    Options

You are right. I didn't communicate to Brenty that I wished to sync a Mac and PC with the same data file.

Since I did purchase the Mac version through the Apple Store, can the datafile be placed in dropbox for the PC to access? It does contain my password data. What is the price for me to obtain a PC version that will be accessing the shared Dropbox storage application?

Thank you for the details on iCloud. I didn't realize how intricate this application actually is.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Good day @robert_osgood :smile:

While the Mac App Store version of 1Password for Mac does allow you to sync using iCloud you are certainly not obliged to use it and all the sync methods that the AgileBits Store supports are available to you too. That includes Dropbox which is quite a versatile cloud solution thanks to its cross-platform support.

As you're interested in 1Password for Windows I'll contact you directly about that :smile:

This discussion has been closed.