How can I generate Diceware passwords on Mac like in the iOS version?

Options
levineb18
levineb18
Community Member
edited October 2015 in Mac

The latest update for iOS brought a great new feature of being able to generate passwords with random words, being just as secure as random letters and easier to enter when just looking at the password rather than copying and pasting. Unfortunately, whenever I want to generate a new password using my mac, I am unable to generate passwords with whole words. Perhaps I simply cannot find how to do this, but it is certainly not obvious like it is in the iOS version. Please add this feature because I would like to convert all of my passwords to the whole word format and I like to do password changes on my Mac.

1Password Version: 5.3.2
Extension Version: 4.4.3
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Generating Password With Whole Words

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

The facility to generate Diceware passwords (as on 1P6 for iOS) is not (yet?) available on the 1P for Mac. It's a feature that has often been requested.

Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @levineb18,

Thanks for letting us know you'd like us to add a Diceware password generator in the Mac version of 1Password! We added that to 1Password 6 for iOS and it's certainly a popular feature there. Hopefully we'll be adding that to the Mac version as well, and I'll be happy to add your vote to our internal tracker for this request.

If you need anything else, please let us know! :)

ref: OPM-1482

• levineb18
    levineb18
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the response, look forward to the update!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You're very welcome @levineb18! I afraid I don't know what update will include that (or when it will be released), but hopefully it will be sooner rather than later. :)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @freediverx,

Thanks so much for letting us know that you're interested in this feature! Believe me, there are a lot of people on the team who are really excited to get this feature released as well. I'll let our developers know you'd love to see it too. :)

• Bryan
    Bryan
    Community Member
    Options

I am also anxiously awaiting the use of diceware algorithm. I either have to use 1password on my Window's host or goto diceware website to generate all new passwords, despite 1password on OSX being what I'm using 90% of the time. We're also pointing all our users (many of who use 1password) to diceware for password creation. We're all waiting... Thanks.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Bryan,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here! I've let our developers know you can't wait for this feature. We'll do what we can to get it out to you all soon. :)

• brandonpittman
    brandonpittman
    Community Member
    Options

Jesus....I've been trying to fight 1Password Mini errors for an hour trying to install betas hoping the Diceware password generator from the iOS version was in the Mac version and now I find out it isn't. This sucks.

• Hey @brandonpittman! Sorry to hear you're having 1Password mini connection issues. The most common cause of this is having two copies of the app installed. Could you check your Downloads and Applications folders to make sure you only have one copy of the app on your computer? If you have more, remove the duplicates. If that doesn't fix things, let us know what version of 1Password you're running as well as the version of the OS you're on so we can figure out what's going on. :)

• +1 Would love to see the diceware generator on Mac.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @akurtz,

Hopefully it won't be long :smile:

• ObjectConsulting
    ObjectConsulting
    Community Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

+∞ DICEWARE!!! on OSX :'(
    ALSO:
    "convert to login" option in the generated passwords section in iOS!!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your vote/feedback @ObjectConsulting! We appreciate it. :)

ref: OPM-1482

• defiant
    defiant
    Community Member
    Options

Looks like the new beta of 1password 5 (5.5.BETA-29 (build #550029)) adds diceware generation support

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPM4#beta

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's right, @defiant! We're thrilled to add this to 1Password for Mac. :)

Have you tried it out yet? What do you think?

• defiant
    defiant
    Community Member
    Options

Yup sure have @Vee, the new look looks good too :)

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Awesome! :+1: That's great to hear.

• ObjectConsulting
    ObjectConsulting
    Community Member
    Options

Awesome! <3 Will wait for the official release! thx

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Now just to temper enthusiasm a little, please note that while it is probably very unlikely, the existence if any given feature in a beta does not mean it will automatically be in the next stable. That being said, this seems like a fairly standalone function which I would be surprised doesn't make it into the next stable release. I'm sure its inclusion will make many people happy :smile:

• micahzeb
    micahzeb
    Community Member
    Options

A note to pass to the developers. I am looking forward to having diceware passwords on my Mac version of 1password. I have been using the diceware password on the PC version of 1password and I find it very annoying that I cannot set the default delimiter to be something other than spaces. It would be awesome if you could either have 1password remember the last delimiter used or to add a setting to set which one you prefer as a default. I would appreciate it if that was added to the PC, Mac, and iOS versions as I use all three daily.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@micahzeb: Well, this is the 1Password for Mac category of the forums...but do you mean like this?

:wink:

• micahzeb
    micahzeb
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty
    I am using the most recent stable build 5.4.2 on my Mac which is my primary machine, hence my comment being on the Mac forum. I said that I am looking forward to its addition on the Mac version of the software.
    My second comment is that it would be very nice if on all versions of 1Password the separator or delimiter would be able to get set as a default or at the very least have the program remember the last separator used. I am using the most recent stable build on my work laptop that is running windows. It already has the dice ware password generator active. I really prefer the period over all of the other separators and every time I make a password I have to click on the drop down and change it to period. This adds a lot of time to my workflow and is a frustration that is not necessary. If 1Password remembered which separator was used last or had a setting so you could set the default it would save me a TON of time and hassle.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I am using the most recent stable build 5.4.2 on my Mac which is my primary machine, hence my comment being on the Mac forum. I said that I am looking forward to its addition on the Mac version of the software.

@micahzeb: Sorry for the confusion! You mentioned that you wanted this type of password generation in 1Password for Windows and iOS at well, and of course both of those have had this feature for a bit now. And the posts immediately preceding yours are about the fact that it's available in the 1Password for Mac beta, so I thought maybe a screenshot would help. ;)

My second comment is that it would be very nice if on all versions of 1Password the separator or delimiter would be able to get set as a default or at the very least have the program remember the last separator used.

We're definitely not finished with the password generator, and a bit more flexibility when it comes to delimiters and special characters is an area we'll be looking at. Thanks for the feedback! :)

• Bryan
    Bryan
    Community Member
    Options

I 2nd ObjectConsulting's comment:

ALSO:

And thanks for adding diceware to osx app! Been waiting for that one, it's huge benefit.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

hopefully, this will be optional! Most if not all the passwords I need must (require) contain letters, numbers and special characters per the web sites.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Bryan: That's a feature we can consider adding a future version! :)

ref: OPI-1913

And thanks for adding diceware to osx app! Been waiting for that one, it's huge benefit.

Me too! You're totally welcome! I'm glad we'll all be able to enjoy this in the stable release Soon™ too. :chuffed:

hopefully, this will be optional! Most if not all the passwords I need must (require) contain letters, numbers and special characters per the web sites.

@Steve_H: Of course! The password generator settings are always optional. Hopefully we can continue to give everyone more control over these in the future as well. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.