1password5 icloud option not available (OS X El-Capitan)

Options
ioannis
ioannis
Community Member

Hello,
i use 1password5 and in the preferences i miss completely the option to sync over icloud.
Also in the icloud settings on my MAC 1password checkbox is missing.

1Password Version: 1Password 5 Version 5.3.2 (532001) Agile Web Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:icloud synch

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

You have the the AgileBits store version of 1P5 (which, following restrictions introduced by Apple on the launch of OS X Yosemite, does not support iCloud sync) rather than the Mac App Store version (which does support iCloud sync).

Of course both versions support Dropbox sync, which is in some ways better than iCloud sync because:

• you can sync individual vaults (which you can't do with iCloud); and
    • Dropbox works cross-platform.

Stephen

• ioannis
    ioannis
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your answer Stephen,

i have this version because i buy it over a Parallels offer. To get the App Store Version have to pay it again and that is not my intention...
    It is Dropbox safer compared to icloud?

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

It is Dropbox safer compared to icloud?

There is not really any difference in terms of using 1P because your 1P vault is fully encrypted when in the Cloud. This knowledge base article should help to reassure you:

Is it safe to sync my data over the cloud?

Stephen

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @ioannis,

I hope Stephen_C's answers have helped. I don't believe one is less secure than the other but cloud service choice does seem to be quite a personal thing. Dropbox has a number of advantages over iCloud as well in terms of cross-platform compatibility and support for secondary vaults and sharing of these vaults with others, two things iCloud can't match just yet. If you have any other questions please do ask.

This discussion has been closed.