Moving from Lastpass, URL rules

Options
finadeon
finadeon
Community Member

Hello,

As I'm looking for an alternative to Lastpass I have few questions about 1Password. In Lastpass you can set equivalent domains (like amazon.com, amazon.co.uk and amazon.de) and only save one login item for all of them. Can I have a same effect in 1Password by adding multiple URLs to a login item like in this tutorial: https://learn2.agilebits.com/1Password4/Mac/en/Tutorials/add-multiple-urls.html? Or is there a better way?

What about URL rules? Lastpass by default does only domain matching, so having google.com login item fills on accounts.google.com also. Is this done in 1Password by turning on lenient URL matching like in this tutorial: https://guides.agilebits.com/1password-mac/5/en/topic/lenient-url-matching What if I have that option on but on a specific site I want it only display login of specific sub-domain (for example on a site subdomain.mydomain.com display only subdomain.mydomain.com login items, not mydomain.com, and vice-versa) or specific path (for example on a site mydomain.com/a/ display only login items for that path only and not do not display that mydomain.com/a/ login item on a site mydomain.com/b/)? Or is the only way to do this by having lenient url matching on and then manually select correct login items on those specific sites?

In Lastpass there is a option to save all entered data if autosave isn't working. Is that correct that 1Password has similar option and it also has option to edit saved form fields like Lastpass?

Last I want to give +1 to developing Windows Phone client and Onedrive syncing.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @finadeon,

We're glad you decided to take 1Password for a spin! The instructions you found are still an excellent way to add multiple URLs to a login record. And yes, enabling the 'Lenient URL matching' option in 1Password Preferences (Browser tab), as found in these instructions will also allow for matching of the domain (instead of subdomain).

If you know in advance that you'll have a few sites where you don't want domain matching, then you'll probably want to leave Lenient URL matching un-checked and rely on the addition of multiple URLs for those sites.

If autosave fails you (or you suspect it will, for whatever reason), you can save the login item manually. This will pre-empt the auto-save, as you'll be saving the information first, before actually attempting to login to the site in question. We recommend you check to see the filling and submission is working correctly once you've saved your new login manually, however. And yes, you can edit saved form fields by first clicking "Show Web Form Details" and then clicking Edit at the bottom of the record (these instructions are for 1Password 5 for Mac, it's slightly different for the Windows version).

• finadeon
    finadeon
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for a reply! Looks very much like 1Password is the app for me. So if I understand correctly 1Password currently don't do path matching? I have few sites like domain.com/a/ that I want to save login item on that specific path and don't use that item on domain.com/b/. But I can live with that if I need to manually select correct login item on those sites. Maybe you could consider this in future if possible to add as a site specific option.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@finadeon,

You might try this converter to get the best LastPass --> 1Password conversion results.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @finadeon,

You are correct that we don't match against the path. If you have two items, one that you only wish to use at domain.com/a/ and another you only want to use at domain.com/b/ then currently 1Password would open the 1Password mini menu and you would see the two items listed, ready for you to select which. To make it quicker you would want to ensure the two titles allow you to easily identify which is which as only the title is visible in 1Password mini. You can open up an items details using the right arrow key but that means opening one to deduce which is which.

I'd like to say a little something on Lenient URL matching if i may. If you have Login items for specific subdomains and only want the relevant one to show then as Lars has already said, you will want to keep this disabled. Now say you have a single Login item for google.com, 1Password will still show it for accounts.google.com even with Lenient URL matching disabled as you don't have a better match in your vault. So depending on the situation you can have both behaviours. What doesn't work well though is if you have multiple Login items for a single site like Google where some have the URL set to google.com and others have accounts.google.com. They will appear unordered but in actuality 1Password mini will be listing all the accounts.google.com ones first and then hiding the others or listing them below.

With the web form details it is possible to edit but the list of fields is used as a fingerprint for checking if a page you're trying to fill matches. If you remove entire fields it changes the fingerprint and can have an impact on the filling behaviour. So while it can be edited it is reactive to changes.

It can take a while to adjust to a new application so if you have other questions please do ask :smile:

• finadeon
    finadeon
    Community Member
    Options

I understand that you get a lot of questions like these, but what a great customer service you have here! I'm glad that it's your program that seems to suit best for my needs. I will try that converter when I have time to move my database from Lastpass.

• Hey @finadeon! On behalf of littlebobbytales, I'm happy to hear all your questions were answered in detail. Please do let us know how everything goes with the converter. Hopefully it makes for a nice little weekend project. :) We'll be here to help out if you need anything.

• finadeon
    finadeon
    Community Member
    Options

@littlebobbytables

You said "With the web form details it is possible to edit but the list of fields is used as a fingerprint for checking if a page you're trying to fill matches. If you remove entire fields it changes the fingerprint and can have an impact on the filling behaviour. So while it can be edited it is reactive to changes."

I have discovered that if a login was saved manually (autosave didn't work) then manually editing form fields breaks filling on that page. So I guess that is because the fingerprint was changed. But if a login was saved by autosave feature, then editing or removing fields doesn't seem to have impact on filling. I have tried only couple of pages though. But I'd like to know if it is safe to remove fields which are not needed on logins which are saved by autosave? I'm asking beforehand so I don't edit 100 logins and then after some time realise that they don't work because of removing unnecessary fields.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @finadeon,

I have discovered that if a login was saved manually (autosave didn't work) then manually editing form fields breaks filling on that page. So I guess that is because the fingerprint was changed. But if a login was saved by autosave feature, then editing or removing fields doesn't seem to have impact on filling.

When you say you saved a login 'manually', do you mean you selected the Save new Login option from 1Password mini (as described in this knowledgebase article)? Or do you mean you opened the main 1Password app and chose File > New Item > Login?

The reason I ask is because if you chose Save new Login from 1Password mini, that causes the same thing to happen as when 1Password automatically asks if you want to save a new Login. So in other words, if you save two Login items for the exact same sign-in form on a website with the exact same username/password, and the only difference is that 1Password automatically prompted you to save one, and you chose the Save new Login option for the other, both Login items would be identical, including the web form details.

That's basically a long way of explaining that if you broke form filling for a Login item by editing the web form details, that isn't directly related to whether the Login item was saved manually or automatically.

...I'd like to know if it is safe to remove fields which are not needed on logins which are saved by autosave? I'm asking beforehand so I don't edit 100 logins and then after some time realise that they don't work because of removing unnecessary fields.

There isn't a "yes or no" answer for this question, because every login form on every website is different. It might be fine to remove a web form detail for a Login item for one site, but doing the same thing for another Login item for a different site might cause a filling problem.

Is there a reason you need to edit the web form details of all your Logins? If the Login items are working correctly, it's better to leave them alone. If you're following these steps to save a new Login, you shouldn't need to make any changes to the web form details of that item at all.

However, if you really want to edit the web form details for Login items that are already working correctly, it's probably not a good idea to edit 100 items before checking to see if they still work. You would want to edit one item and see if that still works before editing another item. Before making a change to the web form details, you might want to make a duplicate of that Login item (right-click an item and choose Duplicate). That way, if you make a change that causes it to stop working, you'll still have a working copy.

If you have more questions about that, just let us know! :)

• finadeon
    finadeon
    Community Member
    Options

@Drew_AG

Sorry, for saving login manually I meant choosing Save new Login. I now understand that is basically the same as 1Password automatically prompting to save login.

The reason I might want to edit form fields is that some pages include additional fields that are not needed for login and I see no point of saving and autofilling those fields. Ok, it may not be harmful to save those fields, but I prefer more "perfect" solution by saving only needed fields and not all search-fields and so on. Is there an easy explanation for the fact that on some site deleting form field that is not username or password causes autofill of username and password field to stop working?

I guess I then try per login basis if login works after deleting unnecessary fields. Thank you for answer. :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @finadeon,

The reason I might want to edit form fields is that some pages include additional fields that are not needed for login and I see no point of saving and autofilling those fields.

Is 1Password filling fields other than the ones in the actual sign-in form? Normally, it should only fill the fields in the sign-in form (usually username & password). But if you entered information in other fields on the site before saving the Login item, 1Password may have saved those, and will re-fill them again in the future.

This also happens if you save a Login item when registering for a new account on a website, because a registration form usually asks for other information in addition to username & password (like first & last name, and possibly some other details). 1Password is often smart enough to know which of those fields to fill on the sign-in form, but the web form details of the Login item would end up with other fields that aren't needed. If that's the reason why you have extra web form details in your Login items, then instead of manually editing those, you should instead save a new Login item from the sign-in page/form, then remove the other Login item.

Ok, it may not be harmful to save those fields, but I prefer more "perfect" solution by saving only needed fields and not all search-fields and so on.

That's fine, you're certainly welcome to do that if you want to! :) I just wanted to make sure I explained that it's not necessary to do that if those Login items already work correctly. And as you've already noticed, it can end up "breaking" Login items that were previously working correctly. There isn't usually much (if any) benefit to spending time editing web form details for working Login items, which is why we don't recommend doing that unless necessary.

Is there an easy explanation for the fact that on some site deleting form field that is not username or password causes autofill of username and password field to stop working?

No, there's not really an easy answer for that, aside from a general statement that sign-in forms work a bit differently on just about every website that has them (which is part of the "fingerprint" analogy that littlebobbytables mentioned). On some sites, 1Password can fill those forms correctly even if you remove certain web form details from the Login item, but on other sites, those details are necessary for 1Password to know how to fill your username & password.

I hope this helps, but we're here for you if you have more questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.