Why does this 'save new password' pop-up never appear on Safari?

Options

Saving a new password is such a complex, manual process!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:change-website-password, kb:change-password-safety-nets, kb:change-website-password

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @alexpoole,

While we do have a couple of bugs to make this process a lot better I think we might be looking at a configurational issue if you're never seeing the 1Password Save Login window. Can we start with a bit of information about your system please.

1. What version of 1Password are you running?
    2. What is the version of Safari?
    3. What version of the 1Password extension is installed?

If it's happening with specific sites and you have no objection to supplying URLs we will happily investigate to see if we aren't doing something quite right there and what it will take to correct this.

• alexpoole
    alexpoole
    Community Member
    Options

1) 5.4
    2) 9.0
    3) 4.4.4

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hello @alexpoole,

If you're never seeing the 1Password Save Login then the most likely culprit based on what we know would be a setting in 1Password. Can you check the following for me please and see if it is enabled or disabled. The setting is in 1Password's preferences and is the Automatically ask to save new Logins option in the Browser tab.

• alexpoole
    alexpoole
    Community Member
    Options

Yes, it is. And I've literally never seen that pop-up.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @alexpoole,

I'm assuming that filling using the extension is working. I'm curious as to the following.

1. If you follow the steps in How to manually save a Login does 1Password offer to save a password?
    2. Visit Twitter and enter 1234567890 into the username field, L)FB19-.ushwgo?NX1pj into the password field and then press the enter key. Does the 1Password Save Login window pop up? Twitter will make a point of saying they can't authenticate you but what we're doing is testing a theory using junk data.

The window that should appear looks like this.

Hopefully something here will help us discover the cause.

• alexpoole
    alexpoole
    Community Member
    Options

Manually saving passwords is not the problem, it's cumbersome to do so. The Twitter method did not bring up the pop-up window.

I've now been to dozens of login sites and have been creating/changing lots of passwords and I've never once seen this pop-up. Are you sure you've updated your extension for El Capitan's Safari?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Greetings @alexpoole,

While I'm not running El Capitan I am running Safari 9 as Apple provided it for Yosemite as well as their flagship version of OS X. Everything I posted I tested from this machine. I've just had a colleague test and the 1Password Save Login window popped up for him on a variety of sites. So it would seem we're not looking at a El Capitan specific glitch.

It means I'm none the wiser as to why you're not seeing the dialog though. I have my doubts as to if it will reveal anything but we can try looking at a diagnostic report, this guide will assist.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+forum@agilebits.com.

When sending the diagnostic report to the address above it would help immensely if you could include a link to this thread and your forum handle so we can connect the two.

Once you've sent the report a post here with the ticket ID will help us to keep an eye out for it. With a little luck maybe it reveals something.

This discussion has been closed.