Problem Syncing Devices

Options
rjwalicki
rjwalicki
Community Member
edited October 2015 in iOS

I just purchased the bundled edition of 1Password and have been trying to sync my vault (created on my laptop) with my ios devices. I downloaded the app and attempted both the WiFI and DropBox sync methods. A vault was created on DropBox. If I select that vault on my ios device, it prompts me for my Vault password -- which I assume is the vault master password created on my laptop. That password, however, is not accepted via either the DropBox or WiFi methods of syncing. I'm certain that I am typing in the correct master password, though, since it opens the vault on my computer. What am I missing here? Do I have to purchase a Pro version to make this work? Kindly advise. Thanks.
Richard

1Password Version: 5
Extension Version: unknown
OS Version: OS X 10.11.1 (15B42)
Sync Type: WiFi and/or Dropbox
Referrer: ug:mac/sync-wi-fi, ug:mac/tutorials, ug:mac/sync, ug:mac/1passwordanywhere, kb:pro-features-faq

Comments

• Hi @rjwalicki ,

I know this may seem like obvious, but we must ask, make sure you are matching the case of any letters in the password, and not confusing zeroes for letter Os, ones for lowercase Ls, etc. Also, make sure when typing on the iOS keyboard you aren't accidentally hitting shift, or a key beside it.

Also, we generally recommend against accented characters in master passwords since different platforms can treat them differently.

Now if you've checked that, try the following on your Mac.

1. Make a backup in Preferences under Backups.
    2. Turn off sync in the Preferences.
    3. Remove your data from Dropbox.
    4. Change your Master Password and set a new hint. Note, the hint doesn't have to be an actual hint, we just want to make sure on iOS it is downloading the new vault.
    5. After changing, confirm you can log in on Mac using the new Master Password and the hint shows the new hint.
    6. Setup Dropbox sync again.

Then try setting up Dropbox sync on iOS again. Verify the hint shows the new hint when entering the new Master Password.

If that works, and you prefer to use your old Master Password, I recommend changing it back on Mac, and it will sync through Dropbox. The next time you open iOS, you will still need the previous Master Password, but after the sync goes through, you will use the current one.

• rjwalicki
    rjwalicki
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for your offer of assistance. In the interim, I did resolve the problem, but I ended up having to create new vaults.
    A report I submitted revealed that the Mac was just not syncing, among other mysteries. :|

• Ben
    Options

Glad to hear this is resolved. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.