Safari 1password extension doesn't open

mactown
mactown
Community Member
edited January 2016 in 1Password in the Browser

It does not and has never worked. Is there finally a fix for this broken extension?

1Password Version: 5.4
Extension Version: 4.4.4-4
OS Version: 10.11.1
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: kb:check-extension-version

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mactown,

The extension works. I realise you're having trouble and we will look into this but it isn't as simple as the extension simply doesn't work.

If this issue has continued over a number of versions of the extension my first thought would be something like a VPN, proxy or anti-virus software is potentially blocking the communication between the extension and 1Password mini. They communicate over a WebSocket and it's no different from how the browser or any other application that access the internet works. The only difference is the communication is local to your Mac - it never leaves the confines of the machine. Regardless, it is quite possible to block even just local communication and any of the above or software in the same area e.g. parental control software can do this.

Do you have anything like this running on your Mac?

• mactown
    mactown
    Community Member

No anti virus, no VPN going, no proxy. I reinstalled 1password and still the same. Reinstalled the extension still the same.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mactown,

I would like you to create a Diagnostic Report please. This guide will assist.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+forum@agilebits.com.

When sending the diagnostic report to the address above it would help immensely if you could include a link to this thread and your forum handle so we can connect the two.

Once you've sent the report a post here with the ticket ID will help us to keep an eye out for it. With access to the report hopefully we will be able to better assist you :smile:

• kelseyman
    kelseyman
    Community Member

mactown,
    I have exactly the same problem. Did you ever get a resolution?
    kelseyman

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hello @kelseyman,

If mactown sent in a diagnostic report I'm not aware of it and can't find it.

Can we learn a bit about your situation please.

1. What version of OS X are you running?
    2. What version of 1Password are you running?
    3. Is it just Safari that you're having this issue with?
    4. What version of the 1Password extension is installed?
    5. Do you run anti-virus, 3rd party firewall, VPN, proxy or parental control software? These are all instances of things that can interfere with the communication between the extension and 1Password mini.
  • ChadT
    ChadT
    Community Member

I don't know what happened to the two guys above, but I'm in the same boat. I've got the extension running in Chrome and Safari, works fine in Chrome and only occasionally works in Safari. Here's my set up:

OSX: 10.10.5
    Safari: 8.0.8
    Chrome: 46.0.24
    1Password 5: Version 5.4.1 (541003), Agile Web Store
    Extensions:
    Safari: 4.4.4
    Chrome: 4.4.3.90
    No firewall. I sometimes run VPN with Cisco AnyConnect and McAfee antivius. That said I still have the issue with these off.

Any idea how I can fix this?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @ChadT,

To the best of my knowledge we never heard back from either of the two that posted before yourself so either they gave up or maybe it started working so they never returned to the thread. Either way if there was a common cause we never learned of it or what the cure was.

You say it occasionally works in Safari? How intermittent is it for you? I'm wondering if you're finding it is really flaky during a single session of Safari usage or if it's that sometimes it won't work at all until you've closed Safari and tried over. Many of the issues that might mean interference with the extension don't come and go you see so if it's working some of the time we may need to think of other possible causes. I'm assuming you haven't noticed any patterns e.g. it happens when the VPN is enabled (for example).

Out of curiosity what kind of troubleshooting steps have you tried so far or have you approached us as the first step to see what we would recommend?

• ChadT
    ChadT
    Community Member

The only pattern I've noticed, is that if its not working it stays that way until I restart the browser.

My troubleshooting steps have been pretty minimal to be honest:

• Restart the browser
    • Update the 1P app, update the 1P extension
    • Trying to open the app to see if it effects the extension
    • Double, triple, and quadruple clicking the extension button
    • Cursing
  • littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @ChadT,

It's definitely a puzzle. Can you send us in a diagnostic report please, maybe it will highlight something. This guide will assist.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums

The email address you will want to use is support+forum@agilebits.com.

When sending the diagnostic report to the address above it would help immensely if you could include a link to this thread and your forum handle so we can connect the two. If you mark it FAO: LittleBobbyTables I'm sure somebody will grab me if they come across it first.

Once you've sent the report a post here with the ticket ID will help us to keep an eye out for it. With access to the report we should be able to better assist you :smile:

• ChadT
    ChadT
    Community Member

Diagnostics report submitted, support ID is [#ZQS-61288-315]

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @ChadT,

I've found your diagnostic report (thank you) and replied. We'll take it from there :smile:

ref: ZQS-61288-315

• savoia
    savoia
    Community Member

Hello,
    Seems like I have the same or similar problem. I have two macs, one iMac in my office, and another (Macbook Air) at home. I installed the same version of OS X (10.11.1), Safari (9.0.2), but 1password safari extension (4.5.1) does't work only in my office iMac, but work fine at home with my laptop. 1password mini works, too, from the menubar. In addition, 1password extension works fine in Firefox on my office iMac. What I should do with this case?

• savoia
    savoia
    Community Member

This is the message that comes out always. Hopefully you can see 1password mini and safari extension is installed. I was really happy with 1password and its extensions on browsers, but this problem makes me frustrated because safari is my main browser.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @savoia,

We never managed to get confirmation but the lead we were following with the other case was that McAfee anti-virus was interfering with the extension. Does your work Mac have any anti-virus installed and running? The trouble will be that if it does and if it is interfering with the extension then as it is a work machine I'm suspecting there may not be a lot that can be done. That judgement is based on the assumption that the work machine is managed by an IT department. If you're the sole operator of the work Mac and have control to add/remove software then that fear may not be warranted.

So the question is, do you have any anti-virus software that is on the work Mac but possibly not on the home one?

• savoia
    savoia
    Community Member

Thank you for your reply.
    I have Avast Mac Security 2015 (ver. 11.5 (45630)) both in my office iMac and home MacBookAir.
    So, I think only difference of these two macs is the network they are in, but it doesn't help me to understand why the browser extension for Firefox works and the one for Safari doesn't work at my office...

I recently updated the OS for my office iMac to 10.11.2. But it didn't change the situation. Other things I tried are;
    -delete cache in safari
    -remove and re-install the browser extension
    -quit 1password mini and restart it
    -open 1password application and tried safari extension (even I thought it doesn't make sense...)

Do you have any idea what to do?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @savoia,

The following is just for testing purposes. Can you try disabling what I believe Avast refer to as shields in their security product and see if after doing this and restarting Safari it makes any difference. After the test please do re-enable. The extension communicates with 1Password mini by way of a WebSocket and I'm wondering if Avast is blocking it for some reason. I couldn't find great reading material on the Avast product so I'm not too sure on their product. I'm also wondering if you have an Avast extension installed at all as I did find mention of one (but again little information to go on).

It might be the issue isn't Avast related at all but disabling Avast should allow us to say either way if it is or isn't :smile: I'd say it's worth checking anyway.

• savoia
    savoia
    Community Member

Thank you again.
    I tried disabling Avast, and the safari extension didn't work again, so I made it back.

But, it started working this morning! I didn't change anything, so I don't understand why it comes back, but anyway, for some reasons, now it's working.

I cannot provide any information for the people who may concern this kind of problem, but I just want to inform you now it's back.
    Thank you for your concern on my case.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

The intermittent issues are the worst - they can be such swines to properly track down. Please do keep us updated @savoia :smile:

This discussion has been closed.