Inconsistencies between Extensions

Hi Agile,

I was wondering if anyone at Agile could respond to why the browser extensions are inconsistent between Chrome and FF? On one hand, I can use Identities in Chrome, but cannot set any kind of options within the Extension. On the other, I can set Options like Save Logins and Auto-Submit in FF, but cannot use Identities? Is there going to be a merging of extension functionality at some point?

Regards,

Curbed

Comments

• DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni
    stu wrote:

Just to clarify though, at the moment only the Chrome extension can fill Identities, but we'll certainly work to bring this to Firefox in the future.

...and Internet Explorer, presumably.
  • CurbedEnthusiasm
    CurbedEnthusiasm
    Community Member
    stu wrote:

Hi Curbed,

That's a great question, it's something we've had quite a few comments about.

When 1Password for Windows was first made available in Beta we only had support for IE and Firefox, and these extensions had to be written from the ground up and so the focus was on getting Logins saving and filling properly, as this is really the 'primary' function of 1Password.

The Chrome extension, on the other hand, was based on Chrome's extensions framework, which seems to be a lot more cross-platform friendly than Firefox's, and of course IE only runs on Windows, and as such we were able to effectively port a lot of the code from the 1Password for Mac Chrome extension to Windows.

The plan is certainly to provide a consistent browser experience across IE, Firefox and Chrome on Windows, and I know Stefan is working hard on a number of issues to make this happen. What we'd love is to provide the same extension experience on all browsers on both Mac and Windows, but the reality is that different browsers have different extensions frameworks, so there may well be some limitations to what we can do.

Just to clarify though, at the moment only the Chrome extension can fill Identities, but we'll certainly work to bring this to Firefox in the future.

Hope that helps to clear things up,

Thanks for the answers guys, much appreciated. I appreciate you have to work within the browser extension frameworks for each browser, so do understand the reasoning. It was a query that came up because I am wanting to dump Firefox (and IE) and use Chrome exclusively on Windows/Mac. However, with respect to 1Password in the browser, I have to consider what functionality I am going to gain/lose and whether the experience will be better/worse. That's where I believe your feature set should be consistent across the board, but again, I understand the considerations.

I'll let you get back to it :)

Regards,
  • DBrown
    DBrown
    1Password Alumni

...I am wanting to dump Firefox (and IE) and use Chrome exclusively on Windows/Mac.

CE, if you're using 1Password for Windows and for Mac, the Chrome extension is going to give you almost identical functionality and interface on the two platforms.

Sounds like the perfect solution for the scenario you describe!
This discussion has been closed.