syncing across various devices

Options
stephanielise
stephanielise
Community Member

I have a couple of laptops and phone and iPad. For some reason they have all stopped syncing with each other. My main laptop has the master 1password folder. Here is a snapshot of the sync prefs

It doesn't seem to sync across my other devices. Any help is appreciated.

I purchased 1Password thru the app store.

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

Does this knowledge base article help?

Troubleshooting iCloud sync issues

Stephen

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @stephanielise,

Thank you for the screenshot, it's extremely helpful!

You said you're using iCloud sync, but your screenshot shows that you're actually using Folder sync, and have chosen to sync to a location within your iCloud Drive folder. That's not the same thing as iCloud sync - 1Password uses Apple's CloudKit technology for iCloud sync, and although iCloud Drive must be enabled for CloudKit to work, they're really two different things, and your CloudKit data will not show up in iCloud Drive.

As far as using Folder sync with your iCloud Drive folder, part of the problem is that iCloud Drive has trouble detecting changes to bundle files (such as the .agilekeychain file used for Folder sync). Therefore it can have trouble when you use that setup to sync 1Password between multiple Macs. But the bigger problem is that Folder sync isn't supported in 1Password for iOS, so there's no way for 1Password to access that .agilekeychain file on your iOS devices.

If I had to guess, I'd say you setup Folder sync with your iCloud Drive folder because you couldn't find an iCloud sync option in 1Password on your Mac. That's because you're using the AgileBits Store version of 1Password 5 for Mac, which unfortunately doesn't support iCloud sync. iCloud sync is only available in the Mac App Store version of 1Password 5 for Mac because it uses Apple's CloudKit technology, which can currently only be used by apps sold through Apple's App Store. We'd absolutely love to be able to include that in the AgileBits Store version of 1Password as well, but unfortunately that's not currently possible. We have more information in these knowledgebase articles:

Is it possible you previously purchased the Mac App Store version of 1Password? If so, you should be able to reinstall that from the Purchased section of the Mac App Store as long as you're signed in with the same Apple ID you used to make that purchase.

Otherwise, if you haven't purchased the Mac App Store version, your best bet would be to switch to Dropbox sync in 1Password on your Macs and iOS devices. Alternately, if you can get Folder sync to work between your Macs, then you can use Wi-Fi sync between one of those Macs and your iOS devices.

Sorry for any confusion about all that! Hopefully this helps, but please let us know if you have any trouble with that, or if you have more questions. We're always happy to help! :)

• stephanielise
    stephanielise
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you so much....fixed...like a charm!!

• @stephanielise So glad to hear that. :) On behalf of Drew, you're most welcome! If you have any other questions, you know where to find us.

This discussion has been closed.