1Password 5.4.1 does not work anymore after upgrading to OS X 10.11.1

Options
desertman
desertman
Community Member

1Password 5.4.1 (Agilebits store version) does not work anymore after upgrading to OS X 10.11.1. I'm always getting the infamous error message "1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini". I have only one 1Password application file on my computer and it is in my Applications folder. Deleting this file, "reinstalling" it (from a new download) and restarting the computer does not help.

What to do, please?

1Password Version: 5.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.1
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: kb:error-connect-to-mini

Comments

• Hey @desertman! Sorry about that. Since the issue started after you upgraded to OS X 10.11.1, it's most likely related to the one discussed in this thread. Please give that post a read and let us know if it helps you get things up and running again. :)

• desertman
    desertman
    Community Member
    Options

I had found out about this on my own some time after my original post - after spending considerable time with searching. It is an incredible shame that Agilebits does not point out this problem and its fix loud and clearly on the main 1Password product page. This could, however, be a disturbance to the general hallelujah about 1Password and Agilebits that is published there now and to avoid that seems to be more important than to help customers who have already paid.

By the way, after the fix it is not necessary to have 1Password sitting directly in the Applications folder - it can be anywhere and still works. For the fix itself it is, of course, easier to put it there because then the Terminal command to fix the problem (xattr -d -r -s com.apple.quarantine '/Applications/1Password 5.app') can be used with a simple copy and paste action.

• @desertman Thanks for getting back to us with an update. Sorry you had to spend some time finding the answer on your own. I'm glad you were able to get it all sorted out though.

It is an incredible shame that Agilebits does not point out this problem and its fix loud and clearly on the main 1Password product page. This could, however, be a disturbance to the general hallelujah about 1Password and Agilebits that is published there now and to avoid that seems to be more important than to help customers who have already paid.

I totally agree with you: We should make this easier to find. However, the issue has only affected a small number of our users after upgrading to OS X El Capitan, so posting a note on the main product page would be a bit much. I'm going to speak with our knowledge base team about adding a note to our 1Password mini troubleshooting article. That should help make things a bit more visible. :)

By the way, after the fix it is not necessary to have 1Password sitting directly in the Applications folder - it can be anywhere and still works. For the fix itself it is, of course, easier to put it there because then the Terminal command to fix the problem (xattr -d -r -s com.apple.quarantine '/Applications/1Password 5.app') can be used with a simple copy and paste action.

1Password can indeed run from anywhere, but for the sake of consistency with OS X apps, we advise you move it to the Applications folder. You can run the Terminal command with a different path if you have the app somewhere else, but for most folks that isn't necessary because they have the app in the Applications folder. You have to change the quarantine flag on the specific app, though, and you can't target /Applications/1Password 5.app if it's not there. When you first install 1Password, we ask you if you'd like to move the app from the Downloads to the Applications folder for more permanent storage.

Thank you so much for the feedback. We really appreciate it, and we appreciate that you've stuck with 1Password through this. :) If you ever have any questions, please feel free to reach out to us.

This discussion has been closed.