Items created on iOS don't sync back to OS X, but changes in OS X force sync back to iOS

ChaconC
ChaconC
Community Member
edited November 2015 in iOS

iOS: 6.2 (620005)
Mac: 5.5 beta 22 (550022)
Syncing method: Dropbox

Problem: iOS doesn't trigger changes on OS X, but OS X triggers changes on iOS right away. Changing something unrelated on OS X (favorites) can sync up all pending changes (new items)

I created a Login Item last night using iOS, the vault updated and it now shows "390 items" in all (2) vaults.
I went on my Mac today and it says "389 items", and the missing item is the one created on iOS.

I forced sync a couple times on iOS, forced sync on my Mac (by quitting Dropbox) and nothing happens.
I disabled sync on iOS, reenabled Dropbox sync and all files got updated , but it still only showed 389 items.

Then, I removed one of my favorites on iOS and changes still didn't reflect on the Mac, but when I removed the same favorite from the Mac the vault state was finally synced up (i.e. 390 items and the item removed from favorites).

After doing the favorite step all changes are syncing right away, but this problem has happened before on previous betas.

1Password Version: 6.2 (620005)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 9.1
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ChaconC,

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you about this! And I'm sorry you're running into some trouble with Dropbox sync. Thank you very much for all the details about what you've noticed & tried! :)

After looking into this a bit, I think you might be experiencing an issue we just recently became aware of, which is related to the new All Vaults view in 1Password 6 for iOS. The next time this happens, go to the Categories section, tap the vault icon in the upper left corner, and pick the vault that has pending changes to be synced. That should correctly trigger the sync. Does that help?

I'm sorry for the inconvenience! Our developers are working on this, although I don't know exactly when a fix will be available. But hopefully the workaround will help in the meantime. Please let us know how it goes and if you need anything else, thanks! :)

ref: OPI-3196

• ChaconC
    ChaconC
    Community Member

Hi Drew, thanks for that suggestion and I will try it next time it happens.

The problem was/is mostly on the Mac since I was creating the items on iOS, and when that happened I did try to select a single vault to make sure the item count matched up.
    Again, iOS always showed changes made on the Mac right away, the Mac didn't/doesn't show changes made on iOS until I force a sync.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @ChaconC!

I should have mentioned that there might be a similar/related issue in the latest beta version of 1Password 5 for Mac. When this happens again, you can try the same workaround on your Mac that I suggested for iOS - switch to the specific vault with pending changes to trigger the sync. Please let us know if that helps. Thanks! :)

ref: OPM-3433

• ChaconC
    ChaconC
    Community Member
    edited November 2015

Just updated to 5.5-24 and 6.2 (620007) and was able to confirm your workaround to be working.

Also, I was able to confirm the following:

• Automatic (every 45 seconds or so) syncs don't trigger a correct sync IF you are in All Vaults View.
    • Forcing sync from Settings -> Vaults -> [Vault with Pending Changes] -> Sync triggers a correct sync
    • Forcing sync from Vault Selector -> Selecting Vault with Pending Changes (workaround) triggers a correct sync

Try this:

• Create a login item in iOS
    • Wait 45 sec for automatic sync
    • After sync, check 1Password on Mac and see item is missing
    • Press 'Sync' or use workaround
    • Dropbox notifies changed files and login appears on Mac

Also, maybe as a feature request, I think local changes should trigger a sync right away instead of waiting the ~45s

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for confirming your success with Drew's workaround for this syncing issue and including the extra details. :+1:

Also, maybe as a feature request, I think local changes should trigger a sync right away instead of waiting the ~45s

When I'm already switched to a vault in 1Password for iOS that's configured to sync with an OPVault in Dropbox, an item update I make there triggers syncing right away. And that change appears quickly in a vault I'm switched to in 1Password for Mac that's configured to sync with the same OPVault in Dropbox.

Are you suggesting syncing be immediately triggered by item updates made from the All Vaults view?

• ChaconC
    ChaconC
    Community Member

Are you suggesting syncing be immediately triggered by item updates made from the All Vaults view?

No, the issue was another thing (it literally was not triggering automatic sync when in All Vaults mode).

In any case, I just updated to 620008 and all the sync issues I was having appear to be fixed now. Sync triggers immediately when I create/edit items in either Single Vault or All Vaults modes, and changes are syncing correctly back to and from my Mac.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ChaconC,

Thanks so much for letting us know that your sync issues are resolved with 620008 - that's great to hear! If you run into any other snags with 1Password, we're here for you. :)

This discussion has been closed.