Any way to migrate items to team vault without a Mac?

Options

Any ETA on the arrival of Teams support for 1Password on Windows?

I don't currently use a Mac so it doesn't look like I can migrate/move any items from a personal vault to a Team Vault, at this time. I am anxiously awaiting an updated Windows (beta) version of 1Password that works with Teams. As things currently stand...I can't really use the beta and provide any feedback until support for Teams is brought to 1Password Windows Native Apps.

On a side note:
1Password for Teams is pretty slick. I'm excited to see you guys move your business model in this direction. I pay for Evernote and absolutely love it and was wondering when AgileBits would make the transition to a SaaS model. I think this will be very successful. One suggestion would be to continue to improve things like you always have. Evernote could be so much more then it currently is. It's development has really stagnated over the past few years, which has lead to no new features or real value added to their platform during that time. As long as you aren't offering a completely free tier, like Evernote does, then I don't think this will happen.

It would be nice to see a fully featured trial, that lasts 14 days, so that users can test things out.

Constructive criticism:
My biggest complaint to date is that the Mac gets all the love and there is a feature disparity between platforms. Often times users need to wait for features and changes to trickle down after being released for iOS and Mac. An absolutely essential part of providing a Software as a Service, sucessfully, is to have continuity across all supported platforms. Feature releases need to be done across all platforms in a timely manner and the overall user experience across platforms should be unified.

Thanks for the great product! I use it every day.

-Ryan

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ryanhaver: You can absolutely still use 1Password for Teams without it being supported in 1Password for Windows. The web interface is key, and with the editing features released yesterday, it's much more useful! :)

And you're right that the free tier seems to have really hurt Evernote. I can't say that we will or won't have a truly 'free' option, but I suspect we'll continue to offer a trial period, and we also won't lock people out of their data...so it may end up very similar to the native apps, which allow editing during the trial and then become read-only when it ends.

There is definitely room for improvement in cross-platform consistency, but I do find it amusing that people always seem to think that their platform of choice is the one that's being neglected, no matter which one it is. Maybe this is a 'grass is always greener' sort of thing. We have some really cool features on each platform that others have to do without, and going forward our goal is to try to bring the best of each to the others as much as we can without giving up on the nice things that can't be cross-platform due to technological limitations.

Thanks so much for the thoughtful feedback, your continued support, and your passion to push us to make 1Password all that it can be! :chuffed:

• ryanhaver
    ryanhaver
    Community Member
    Options

Nicely said! I laughed pretty hard when you said, "I do find it amusing that people always seem to think that their platform of choice is the one that's being neglected, no matter which one it is." That is so true.

Are there plans to be able to import a standalone vault into Teams through the web interface?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Nicely said! I laughed pretty hard when you said, "I do find it amusing that people always seem to think that their platform of choice is the one that's being neglected, no matter which one it is." That is so true.

@ryanhaver: Whew! Thanks! I'm glad you appreciated that. I was worried that it might come off wrong, but, well....as you say, it's true! :lol:

Are there plans to be able to import a standalone vault into Teams through the web interface?

I may be misunderstanding what you're asking here, both because of my own biases and the fact that 1Password for Teams hasn't been in the wild long enough for us to all have a common language for it. But I think you probably meant one of two things:

• Use the native app as an interface for 1Password for Teams vault without having to set up a 'personal' vault first
    • Import existing 'personal' vaults from the native app on your computer into the 1Password for Teams web interface

Maybe you didn't mean the first one, but it's something I'd like to see, so that I can use 1Password in "Teams-only" mode someday.

Regarding the second, this isn't something I'd thought of previously, since I can copy data in the app itself from an existing 'personal' vault to a "Teams vault. If that's the case, are you looking to use 1Password for Teams exclusively in the browser?

That's an interesting idea. It may be that we get there someday, but right now we're starting fro the opposite end: a lot of people already use the 1Password apps, and since a native app gives a better overall experience than a web app, we want to make sure that it works there — where people are used to it — best first.

However, if you meant something else entirely, let me know and I'll try to make more sense next time. ;)

• ryanhaver
    ryanhaver
    Community Member
    Options

The second one was basically what I was referring to: "Import existing 'personal' vaults from the native app on your computer into the 1Password for Teams web interface". When I said standalone, I did mean an existing personal vault. Hopefully one day a way will be provided to accomplish this.

As things currently stand I cannot import any existing data into 1Password for Teams, because I don't currently use a Mac (which supports 1Password for Teams and would let me migrate/copy existing content in my personal vault over to 1Password for Teams); and the Windows Native Apps do not currently support 1Password for Teams. So my only option now would be manually recreate any of the data in a personal vault through the 1Password for Teams web interface.

Honestly it's not a big deal. I know it's beta and the Windows App will eventually have support for Teams, and thus I'll be able to migrate data over more easily at that time.

I agree that it would be fantastic to be able to use teams without ever needing a personal vault in the first place. I'm sure that will happen somewhere down the road.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

As things currently stand I cannot import any existing data into 1Password for Teams, because I don't currently use a Mac (which supports 1Password for Teams and would let me migrate/copy existing content in my personal vault over to 1Password for Teams); and the Windows Native Apps do not currently support 1Password for Teams. So my only option now would be manually recreate any of the data in a personal vault through the 1Password for Teams web interface.

@ryanhaver: Ah, understood. Hopefully we'll be able to add Teams support to 1Password for Windows soon, but unfortunately I don't have a timeline on when 'soon' might be. Thanks so much for your feedback! Looking forward to everyone being able to use it! :chuffed:

Honestly it's not a big deal. I know it's beta and the Windows App will eventually have support for Teams, and thus I'll be able to migrate data over more easily at that time.

Well, it's a huge bummer when you're excited to try something new and you can't, so I'm sorry about that. My advice would be to consider doing what many of us did before things had matured: just play around with it using 'dummy' data (or simply a few key items) to get a feel for how you might use it, and then it'll be second nature to you once it's supported everywhere you need it to be.

I agree that it would be fantastic to be able to use teams without ever needing a personal vault in the first place. I'm sure that will happen somewhere down the road.

Indeed! I know this is a goal we'll work toward. I believe this is more long-term, but of course that depends on the platform as well. Then again, I really thought that editing in the 1Password for Teams web interface was much farther off, so I'd be happy to be wrong about this too. Cheers! :pirate:

• ryanhaver
    ryanhaver
    Community Member
    Options

I just started using the Windows 10 Beta App and love it! I can now import/copy content from a personal Vault to a Teams vault. Pretty slick how easy it is!! I'm liking this a lot. Although I'm hesitant to trust my passwords to the cloud like this, I'm warming up to the idea.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@ryanhaver: Yes! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying the beta. We're just warming up there ourselves. ;)

Speaking of warming up, in this cold season of fraud and security breaches, you'll be happy to know that your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted, so 1Password simply doesn't depend on the sync service to protect your data. 1Password is secure by design, not by chance. You can learn more in the 1Password knowledgebase:

Is it safe to sync my data over the cloud?

Spoiler: 1Password has your back! We put our own data in the cloud too, after all. I wouldn't recommend anyone do something I wouldn't do myself. :)

This discussion has been closed.