Adding login and password to credit card item?

Options
batguano
batguano
Community Member

Hi!

I have two separate items in 1password for each of my credit cards:

1) one "credit card" item, which has fields for all of the your standard cc info such as account number, exp date, verification code.

2) one login item, which has the website URL and the password.

For ease of organization, I'd like to have one item with both sets of info. There's a website field in the Credit Card item, but no username or password. I tried to add those fields to the credit card item, but that won't fill the username/password fields via the browser extension. It also won't save previously used passwords--it saves the verification code instead.

Is there a way to do this, or do I have two keep two separate items for each card?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 1Password 5 Version 5.4.1 (541003) Agile Web Store
Extension Version: 4.5.1.90
OS Version: OSX 10.11.2
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member
    Options

@batguano personally I find it much better to have two separate items—so that both will work in the appropriate context (the login item to log in and the credit card item to fill the appropriate fields). I simply link them with a tag if I feel it helps.

Stephen

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @batguano,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us.

I'm with Stephen on this one, but we'll certainly take your suggestion under advisement. Personally, I find it much simpler to select the correct item and know exactly what 1Password is going to fill rather than trying to make 1Password guess my intention or — perhaps worse — make me select which elements to fill (Login or Credit Card) after I already selected the item in the first place. That would slow me down in my workflow.

Right now, I use the keyboard shortcut ⌥⌘\ to open 1Password mini, begin typing the first few letters of the Credit Card item I wish to fill, and press Return. If I'm already on the Login page for a site where I have a saved Login item, ⌘\ logs me right in without searching or any confusion. My fear would be that combining these items would increase complexity and decrease usability.

What do you think? How do you imagine it working if they were combined?

• batguano
    batguano
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @Stephen_C and @khad,

Would it be possible for a single item to have username and password fields, as well as the other standard credit card info? If I was filling in the login page for the website, it'd fill in my username and password; if I was filling in a page where I was making a payment, it would fill in the card number etc.

I gather that 1password has some behind-the-scene heuristics to let it know which field gets which data. Perhaps having all the info in one item would make those heuristics more fragile, but I would imagine that in most cases you could discriminate between card number, say, and password.

Maybe "username" might be confused with "name on card"--is that what you are worried about. One solution might be to check the URL, and if it's in the credit card accounts domain (e.g. americanexpress.com/whatever) and the fields match up, you could fill in the username/password; otherwise, use the card number, etc, assuming that fits the fields on the web page.

In any event, I'd rather have all info pertaining to one account in one place, both for bank accounts and credit cards. It's one account. I think of it as one thing. When I have to change things (e.g. my card got cancelled because of fraudulent charges, and I want to change my password too), it's easier to keep things in one place.

If you and @Stephen_C like to have two separate items in 1password, that's fine and you'd still be able to do that. But it's confusing to me, and really confusing to my partner who isn't particularly tech savvy.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for writing back, @batguano! :)

The problem here is " trying to make 1Password guess my intention" I mentioned above. It is already tricky to figure out the correct fields when we know which type of data you are trying to fill (Login or Credit Card) based on the item type you selected. This would add additional complexity and make filling less accurate. Many sites have ambiguously named fields, so there is already trouble on those sites. Combining the filling and trying to make 1Password guess at it would be a net loss for form filling.

I'd strongly recommend using tags to keep better track of items. They are super powerful. For example, I have one tag for all my Logins with recurring billing, so when I've had a credit card canceled due to fraud, I was able to quickly log in to all the sites with that tag and update the card number being used there.

I understand that isn't the solution you would like, but perhaps it will help a tiny bit. I've made sure the developers know you would like to see 1Password try to guess what you are attempting to fill from an item with multiple data types.

Don't hesitate to let us know if you have any other suggestions or questions.

Have a fantastic rest of your week and a wonderful holiday!

Community Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Google brought me here because I have the same problem and couldn't find any solution.

Like the OP I also wan't one item for each of my credit cards - not multiple items. I like to click my "Credit cards" section in the menu to the left where the categories are. And in my credit card item I have the username and password stored along with all the other information, contact details, credit card number, expiration date and all that.

I previously had a separate regular "login" item under the login catetory, which held the same information. This was so that I could autofill the password on the banks website, and make it easy to login to check the balance for me and my significant other using one of our shared iPads for example. I don't want duplicate items - and I don't want to remove my credit card object - because I like that my cards have their own category and it just makes more sense - especially like the OP says for non tech savvy people that you need to share the device / database with. As it is now I deleted my separate login item to keep my items to one (just the credit card item left) and tidy up as I have hundreds of regular other logins. So now I cant autofill but it's something I have to live with for now.

I do use tags but I want to keep things organized in the categories too and not have duplicate information floating around in case I change it and have to remember to change it on multiple items - and for many other reasons.

So - will you implement the feature or has it been implemented since as I can't get it to work. This is on 1password for mac, iPad and iPhone. I've tried them all and use them all. The password is a password field (not a cc-field), but on the page it doesn't show anything about the strength of the password so I guess 1password doesn't understand that it in fact is a password, even though it's a password field.

So this makes no sense at all right now - please make it so that I can specify that the password field is in fact a password field even though it's living inside a credit card item. If it can't autofill at least make it so that it will fill if I click the item when on the page and then click on the little key icon inside 1browser for example, so that it fills then. As it is now not even that part works. By interacting with the application posting the wrong data automatically wouldn't be an issue - thus the fear of yours with the items being combined on one page wouldn't be a problem. If I'm doing it manually by clicking the key there would be no risk of posting the wrong information with autofill.

Thank you.

• Hi @83276200166533549065 ,

Thanks for writing in with your take on it. It is a significant challenge. As khad mentioned, web site fields, though it often looks obvious to the viewer due to their layout and design, are not always coded that way under the hood. There is no "standard" coding for a credit card fields vs login fields. 1Password has to make an educated guess, and every web site is different, further complicating matters.

In the meantime, using a separate login item and credit card item with the same tag for organization is probably the best way for now.

We certainly are not saying no to this request, but we do need to make it work reliably before we can release it; and we are making improvements to our fill engine constantly.

Cheers,
    Kevin

Community Member
    Options

It doesn't have to be auto-identified. I would be happy if it would work if I pick the password manually from the credit card item - if it was available when clicking the key icon from within 1browser for example.

I don't use auto-fill for security reasons, but as of today I can't even pick the password from my cc-item when browsing. So that would be an acceptable workaround. So don't focus on the "fill engine", just make 1password let me pick my password from the cc-item when browsing with 1browser and clicking the key icon if that's easier. That wouldn't be a significant challenge, just make the password be identified as a password even while residing inside the cc-item?

Thanks for answering.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It doesn't have to be auto-identified. I would be happy if it would work if I pick the password manually from the credit card item - if it was available when clicking the key icon from within 1browser for example.

@83276200166533549065: While I appreciate that you're not being picky about 1Password needing to "understand" what to do with it, for most folks that's really what they expect from 1Password. To many people, 1Password is the browser extension and its filling capabilities, so we'll continue to prioritize that and work to improve it.

I don't use auto-fill for security reasons, but as of today I can't even pick the password from my cc-item when browsing. So that would be an acceptable workaround. So don't focus on the "fill engine", just make 1password let me pick my password from the cc-item when browsing with 1browser and clicking the key icon if that's easier. That wouldn't be a significant challenge, just make the password be identified as a password even while residing inside the cc-item?

1Password already supports this. You can add any information to any item using custom sections and fields, and these are viewable in 1Password for Mac's browser extension (or 1Password mini):

Using custom fields

And if you set the field type to "password" (... on the right), it will be obscured like any true "password" field used for filling. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.