Photo capabilities

Options
wkleem
wkleem
Community Member

It has been previously requested for 1Password iOS to be able to accept images. When it will be possible? My case use is to take the OEM Windows Key and put it in 1Password. That's the sticker found on every PC. Microsoft offers a way of downloading an ISO image of their OS. To do so would mean flipping the laptop over, lid closed, copying the number, opening the lid to input the product key into the site.

https://microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/home

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @wkleem,

We don't have any definite plans to add the ability to create attachments from iOS at this point, so unfortunately I can't make any promises. This is something I personally would like to see, and I keep whispering in our development team's ears about it. Hopefully we can convince them that despite the fairly significant effort that would be required to implement it, it would be a worthwhile feature. :)

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, Ben and Merry Christmas to you and the Agilebits Team!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @wkleem! To you and yours as well! :)

• BradleyT
    BradleyT
    Community Member
    Options

I would like to see this as well, taking photos on my phone of Gun SN and photos of the Gun itself would be very beneficial. As well as home inventory items for insurance purposes. Thanks for pursuing this and keeping it on the front burner. Brad

• OlofB
    OlofB
    Community Member
    Options

Also I would really like to have the possibility to attach photos and pdf's, you should make it a priority!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the votes, folks. :)

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

I hope you don't mind me asking Ben, obviously, adding images could balloon the size of the keychain. Where is the bottleneck?

• Ben
    Options

That is certainly a concern, but not a reason to not have the ability to add them from iOS.

But yes, adding large attachments, especially ones you plan to sync to mobile devices, is worth pausing and considering. Do you really want to download all that data over cellular, for example? How much storage space do your mobile devices have? Especially with iOS devices which don't have expandable storage...

But again, that isn't a reason (at least not one of our reasons) for not having the ability to add attachments from mobile.

Ben

• TellmeMore
    TellmeMore
    Community Member
    Options

@bwoodruff
    # 1000% of your marketing decision and shame on it
    1. space problem - a nice joke
    2. data sync over LTE - problem? how's ios update over air?

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hi @TellmeMore,

As I mentioned those are explicitly not the reasons that we have not added this yet. I only mentioned them as the customer brought them up.

That is certainly a concern, but not a reason to not have the ability to add them from iOS.

(emphasis added)

The primary reason we have not added it is the development resources required to do so.

Thanks.

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Not a problem @bwoodruff, I would rather have a stable shipping product with less features than a bug ridden feature rich one.

However, I have noticed and previously commented on a quirk which is that there's always a bug in the prior versions that gets squashed in a new version only. Luckily, 1Password 6 is a free update for 1Password 5 users and 1Password 5 was free for users of 1Password 4.5. I still have a iPhone 4 in my procession.

• Ben
    Options

We'd like to find a good balance between the two (well, obviously no bugs would be ideal ;) ).

I'm not sure I'd call that a quirk! lol
    That sounds like a positive development cycle to me. :)

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

:)

• Ben
    Options

:)

• hardbutfair
    hardbutfair
    Community Member
    Options

Add my vote. I would love to be able to take a photo of something and add it to a login or other category (Id, credit cards). This is something that, in my opinion, should already been done.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the vote. :)

Ben

• Ben
    Options

@abuser1x,

Please avoid pinging multiple staff members (especially ones who aren't involved in the thread) in the same post. Thanks!

We don't currently have a public bug / feature request tracker. Votes are collected from these forums, Twitter, private email, etc. The number of votes a feature has is only one of very many considerations that goes into whether / when a feature gets implemented, and as such there isn't much value in making the number of recorded votes public. This request, for example, has a ton of votes, but will not likely be implemented in the near future. There is just too much infrastrure work that would have to be done for us to take on right now.

That isn't to say we'll never do it, but if we were to take it on right now we'd have to drop everything else for an extended period, and we just can't do that right now.

1Password - Keep the customer voice in the trashcan, toilet paper.

I don't think that is fair at all. There are literally hundreds if not thousands of bugs that have been fixed and features that have been added because of customer feedback. Of course not every feature ever suggested gets added. You don't want 1Password to look like this:

But we take every one into consideration and look at things like merit, resources required to implement, relative benefit to the 1Password using population, ... and then when we do decide a feature is going to be implemented we have to prioritize it against all of the other features we want to add and bugs we need to fix.

Thanks.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

The number of recorded votes is certainly not representative of the desire for the feature. It has less than 100 votes on it. Even internally there is a huge desire for it. As I've mentioned a number of times in this thread the desire for it is not the reason it hasn't been implemented. It is a matter of resources.

since last version 5.2 last year, how many new features implemented

I don't have them counted up, but you are welcome to count them:

1Password for iOS Release Notes

At a quick glance I'd say there are more than 20 new features in the timeframe you indicated.

How many these new features from end user voice?

All of them. Now, that answer may appear to be a bit tongue in cheek. But its true: even if a feature request originated from an AgileBits employee (which I suspect is what you're really getting at?), we're all 1Password users too. We all use the products both in our professional and personal lives.

I will make a decision this APP is dead.

Since v6 was released in September of 2015 we've had 8 "point" releases. It is probably one of the more frequently updated apps on the App Store.

As the password management App, store picture directly from camera feature is "nice to have" , "must to have" or "base function"?

We don't rank features in this manner, even internally, so I wouldn't have any metrics about that.

Thanks.

Ben

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@abuser1x: I actually don't mind being pinged at all, even though it does seem a bit odd, given that this discussion is new to me. However, I hope you'll understand that addressing anyone with comments like "what's the point", "toilet paper", and "trashcan" isn't appropriate. We appreciate that you're passionate about the requested photo feature, but there's a more constructive way to share your feedback — and, quite frankly, to have it taken more seriously.

While it's quite understandable that you're frustrated at not having a feature you want implemented, we still need to keep the forums as friendly as possible for the wide range of people that visit. Be sure to keep that in mind in the future. We're happy to have you here, so long as you can adhere to the guidelines:

Forum guidelines

And after all, we're here to help, and there are things you can do to facilitate this:

Help us help you

For example, how do you envision using a photo capture feature? What specifically would you use it for most? Imagine that we added such a feature tomorrow, but it didn't address the one thing that would have made it useful to you, because you never mentioned it. So far, your posts haven't offered any feedback that we could use to make 1Password better in the future, but I suspect that you have some great ideas — perhaps some that I wouldn't think of myself, since I'm a different person with different habits. I look forward to hearing your suggestions. :pirate:

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    Options

Hi All, if you are unfamiliar with the Apple /// from the 1980's, a reason for Steve Jobs's departure from Apple, I would suggest spending some time reading up on it. The Apple /// was Apple's first failure.

Feature creep is probably inevitable but it should never EVER lead to a company's ruin.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'll be honest, I didn't realize that there even was an Apple III. :dizzy:

• BigDog
    BigDog
    Community Member
    Options

This is a very important feature that is missing. Forced to keep info in two places. Looking forward to having this addressed.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks, @BigDog! It is something I'd really like to see as well. Unfortunately it isn't something we're likely going to see in the near future due to the amount of resources it would take to implement properly.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

Yep, no denying that this has been a long standing feature request.

Ben

• Ben
    Options

@abuser1x,

We appreciate your passion for this particular feature request, but I don't feel your comments are at all fair. We already discussed above the amount of changes AgileBits has put into 1Password for iOS in the last year. That data speaks for itself, and anyone is welcome to review it.

1. Want to store your picture go buy the desktop version

You're right on this point. Using the desktop products is current the only way to create attachments. As has been said a number of times in this and other threads this is an area in which we'd like to improve but it'll take a lot of work, and that work will take time. We really just don't have the resources available to commit to that right at the moment.

1. Keep your vote because your vote cannot turn into more real $$$

As I've also pointed out, customer interest is certainly one of the factors in determining if we can implement a feature or not. But it is certainly not the only one, and in this case it is outweighed by other factors (none of them being money, but you can choose to believe that or not).

Ben

• wkleem
    wkleem
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

@bwoodruff,

Take your time. As much as I would like to see this feature implemented, I don't feel a rush for it. I would like to see a 1Password Portable e.g. USB Key/LiveCD before this, if possible.

This discussion has been closed.