1Password just sent me someone else's passwords. Pls provide phone # so I can call you. Urgent.

VickyBijur
VickyBijur
Community Member

I just changed my master password. When I reopened 1Password I couldn't find any of my passwords, but I found a comprehensive list of someone else's passwords along with her name, email address, and personal info. I need to call 1Password to fix. Urgent. What is your phone #?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1Password just sent me someone else's passwords. Pls provide phone # so I can call you. Urgent.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @VickyBijur,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. Is her name Wendy Appleseed? If so, there is no cause for alarm. :)

It would be impossible for you to have someone else's data since 1Password data is not hosted on our servers. It is only on your own computer. (And mine is only on my computer…which you do not have access to.) You would also need to know the other person's Master Password in order to decrypt their data. Without the Master Password to a vault, you cannot unlock it. It is mathematically impossible due to the encryption.

What I believe has happened is that you created demo vault. You can read all about it here:

Who is Wendy Appleseed?

If I am incorrect in my assessment, or we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help.

Cheers!

• VickyBijur
    VickyBijur
    Community Member

Many thanks. Yes, her name is Wendy Appleseed. I googled her last night and discovered other urgent messages about her on the AgileBits discussion board. But I must say I had a very bad half hour before learning she was fictitious. I almost erased my entire 1Password vault. Might you consider changing Wendy's name to something more obviously fictitious, such as Jane Doe? Clearly I am not the only person who has been alarmed to find her passwords.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

We will certainly take that under advisement. Thank you for suggesting it, @VickyBijur. I think we used Wendy Appleseed because Apple always used John Appleseed (named after the historical figure Johnny Appleseed while being a play on "Apple").

This discussion has been closed.