I have the newest 1Password. When it sync's to the cloud, does it automatically backup?

Options
uspoeric
uspoeric
Community Member

I just switched from Password Keeper to 1Password for IOS. If I sync with either Icloud or Dropbox, will it automatically create a backup that I can use to restore my passwords if my phone should crash? I don't want to have to connect to Itunes to backup my phone - it is very inconvenient.

1Password Version: 6.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: ios 9.2.1
Sync Type: Icloud or dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Please tell me if syncing to the cloud or Dropbox will create a backup that I can restore if i crash

Comments

• uspoeric
    uspoeric
    Community Member
    Options

I just switched from Password Keeper to 1Password for IOS. If I sync with either Icloud or Dropbox, will it automatically create a backup that I can use to restore my passwords if my phone should crash? I don't want to have to connect to Itunes to backup my phone - it is very inconvenient.

1Password Version: 6.2.1
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: ios 9.2.1
    Sync Type: Icloud or dropbox
    Referrer: forum-search:Please tell me if syncing to the cloud or Dropbox will create a backup that I can restore if i crash

• Ben
    Ben
    edited January 2016
    Options

Hi @uspoeric

Thanks for taking the time to write in. If your phone is lost or damaged, or you add a new device to the mix, you can simply setup syncing on the new device to download your existing data, assuming you had been syncing before.

Sync | 1Password for iOS

That said, I would not call this a backup. It will not protect you, for example, if you accidentally edit a record and delete or change important information. A backup would do that.

Creating and restoring 1Password backups in iTunes (iOS)

Thanks!

Ben

• uspoeric
    uspoeric
    Community Member
    Options

Any preference on whether it is better to sync with Dropbox or iCloud ?

• uspoeric
    uspoeric
    Community Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Ben - I forgot to thank you for your help.

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome!

Dropbox works across all of the platforms we support, whereas iCloud only works with Apple devices. In addition, iCloud does not support multiple vaults, or sharing vaults, whereas Dropbox does.

Beyond that, there isn't much difference.

Thanks.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.