Can my new 2nd iMac27" share the 1PW5 license I bought for my 1st iMac27"?

zephyrtss
zephyrtss
Community Member

I previously purchased a 1PW5 license for my 1st iMac27". Can my new iMac27" also share the license for my 1st iMac27" or do I need to buy a 2nd license for my 2nd iMac?

1Password Version: 5.4.3
Extension Version: 5.4.3
OS Version: OSX10.11.3
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Do i need to buy a 2nd 1PW5 for my 2nd iMac or can it share with license for 1st iMac?

Comments

• Hi @zephyrtss ,

You can use the license on up to 5 Macs in your household. So, if you don't already have it running on 5 Macs, you should be fine.

When you purchased 1Password, you were emailed a license file. Copy that file to the new iMac, and double-click it. It will open 1Password and add the license.

If you have any questions about 1Password in the future, do not hesitate to ask.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• zephyrtss
    zephyrtss
    Community Member

Thank you! Now the next questions reflect my gross ignorance.
    (1) how do I get that "license file" copied to the new iMac? My new iMac27" does NOT have a DVD drive & does NOT have a "firewire" connector, but my old iMac external backup drive has a firewire connection.
    (2) how do I get the 1PW5 login, password, etc data shared from my old iMac27" to the new iMac27"?

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hey @zephyrtss,

Now the next questions reflect my gross ignorance.

Not at all! If things don't make sense, that's our fault, not yours, and we're always--always--happy to help a user out and to clarify information when necessary.

(1) how do I get that "license file" copied to the new iMac? My new iMac27" does NOT have a DVD drive & does NOT have a "firewire" connector, but my old iMac external backup drive has a firewire connection.

On your new iMac, are you able to access the license email we sent you? It should contain a link you can click to automatically download and apply the license.

I also want to clarify @ag_kevin 's statement a bit. Our license policy is actually that you can share your Mac license with up to 5 other family members in your household, on as many Macs as you own. So the number of licensed computers can be more than 5.

(2) how do I get the 1PW5 login, password, etc data shared from my old iMac27" to the new iMac27"?

We call this syncing your data, and you may be able to use Dropbox or iCloud to do this. What version of 1Password are you running on your older iMac? Knowing that will help us give you more accurate info on this. Thanks in advance! :)

• zephyrtss
    zephyrtss
    Community Member

Thank you! on older iMac: running 1PW5. But before syncing data, I guess it would be best to FIRST resolve the problem of logins that disappeared when I upgraded to 1PW5. See https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/276976#Comment_276976

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @zephyrtss,

Indeed, I agree that it makes sense to take care of that problem first, otherwise things might become a bit confusing. Hopefully we'll be able to help you resolve that soon, and once you're all set with that, just let us know and we'll be happy to continue helping you sync your 1Password data. :)

This discussion has been closed.