Attachments in 1Password in lieu of Knox

Options
MTKrugers
MTKrugers
Community Member

After much research on encryption software of folders and files, I decided on Knox only to discover it is no longer available. I have copies of drivers license, Cert of Title etc attached to my Secure notes and account logins. My question is how many/much does Agile-bits recommend when using 1Password as a database for important documents. Don't want to over do it, but it sure would be handy since Knox is not available.

Thanks

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: 4.5.3
OS Version: 10.11.3
Sync Type: Wireless

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MTKrugers,

We weren't able to give Knox the love it and our users of Knox deserved, that's why we had to make the tough decision to remove it from sale. The way I would l view it is if you're looking at relatively small(ish) files and single files rather than hierarchies of folders then 1Password should be fine. The idea of adding images of a driver licence, passport or files representing receipts or certificates is certainly within 1Password's capabilities and attachments do sync between a Mac and mobile devices if you sync using Wi-Fi Sync. Where something like Knox or simply an encrypted disk image (something that can be created from within OS X) has the advantage is it can hold entire folders of files or as mentioned hierarchies and size isn't a factor as long as the encrypted disk image is large enough. After all an encrypted disk image is like a virtual drive and OS X treats it as one. Indeed that's exactly how FileVault works, the entire disk is one massive encrypted disk image which has to be unlocked before the copy of OS X contained within it can boot.

I don't think I make the same use of attachments as you do or should I say you hope to but I do have attachments, ones that are only stored in 1Password. I probably ought to make more use of the capability after considering this question, digital copies of certain things would be a prudent move and I can't think of anywhere safer than 1Password for them :smile:

Did that help at all?

• MTKrugers
    MTKrugers
    Community Member
    Options

Yes it helped, thank you. Doesn't sound like that if there is a limit of cumulative attachments, in my case, I would not reach it any time soon. And I have the added benefit of accessing these documents on my iPad when traveling if I really needed too. I'll use FileVault for other doc's as security on my MacBook. Appreciate the response.

• Vee_AG
    Vee_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good, @MTKrugers! On behalf of littlebobbytables, you're most welcome! Glad to see he could point you in the right direction.

Let us know if you have any other questions we can help you with. Otherwise, have a terrific week. :)

This discussion has been closed.