Dropbox sync not working between Mac and iPad

Options
Swami
Swami
Community Member
edited March 2016 in Mac

I went through all the steps of “Dropbox sync is not working in 1Password”

The last ‘Date Modified’ file in the ‘default’ folder is Feb 13, 2016.

When I crated a Login for “Testing Dropbox Sync” it did not create a file in the ‘default’ folder.

Please help.

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: 4.5.3
OS Version: OS X 10.11.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Swami,

I'm sorry Dropbox sync isn't working correctly!

If you created a new item in 1Password on your Mac but the sync file in Dropbox doesn't seem to have been updated at all, please double-check the sync settings in 1Password by following these steps:

• Open 1Password and go to the menu for 1Password > Preferences.
    • Click the Sync tab.
    • Make sure Dropbox is currently selected next to “Sync Primary vault with”.
    • If Dropbox isn't currently selected, you'll need to select Dropbox and choose your sync file.
    • If Dropbox was already selected, check the file name and file path for the sync file in Dropbox.

Does that help? If Dropbox sync was already enabled, what is the name & path of the sync file shown in the Dropbox sync settings? Thanks! :)

• Swami
    Swami
    Community Member
    Options
  • Hi @Swami ,

Those settings look to be correct. I wonder if your Dropbox app is not working. Is the Dropbox app running? If so, quit Dropbox and relaunch it. Then in a minute or two, check the sync settings in 1Password again and see if the sync happened.

Please let us know how that works out.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• Swami
    Swami
    Community Member
    Options

I did what you said, but the sync did not happen. Any new login created on the Mac does not show up on the iPad or vice versa.

• Hi @Swami,

I have one more thing to check. Failing that, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac.

On you iPad, go to the Sync Settings and tap the vault, then tap Sync Service. Does the path underneath Dropbox say exactly this?
    /Apps/1Password/1Password.opvault

If not, it means you are syncing to two different files on Dropbox, and that would explain why sync is not working. Let me know right away if this is that case, and I can help you get that straightened out.

If it is syncing to the path listed above, then I'd like to get a diagnostic report from you. Please follow the instructions at the following link:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/mac.html

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

If you can also include the date and time you've changed the item and it didn't sync, that would be helpful.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Cheers,
    Kevin

• Swami
    Swami
    Community Member
    Options

Does the path underneath Dropbox say exactly this? /Apps/1Password/1Password.opvault
    No!
    It says:
    /1Password/1Password.agilekeychain

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @Swami! That certainly explains the problem: Your Mac and iPad are syncing with completely different sync files in Dropbox. Those sync files are also saved in different locations within your Dropbox account, so that probably adds to the confusion. To fix this, you just need to disable Dropbox sync on your iPad, then re-enable it and choose the correct sync file:

• On your iPad, open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Primary > Sync Service.
    • Tap Disable Sync and confirm you want to disable it.
    • In the sync settings, tap Start Syncing and choose Sync with Dropbox.
    • When you see your Dropbox account name, tap on the name (do not tap on the 'i' icon).
    • When asked to choose a vault, choose: Apps/1Password/1Password.opvault
    • Enter your master password if prompted.
    • Allow Dropbox to complete the sync.

Does that help? Let us know how it goes, thanks! :)

• Swami
    Swami
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Drew and Kevin, everything works like it should :)

In the Dropbox, should I get rid of the folder "1Password" and its file "1Password.agilekeychain" so there is no chance of a mixup in the future.

Best wishes, Swami

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great news @Swami! Glad to hear that solved the problem.

In the Dropbox, should I get rid of the folder "1Password" and its file "1Password.agilekeychain" so there is no chance of a mixup in the future.

Sure, you can certainly get rid of that if you want to. If you happen to have any other devices with 1Password that are syncing with that older file, they'll give you an error once they realize it's gone, but you can simply re-enable Dropbox sync and choose the new one. (Or if you don't use 1Password on any other devices, you don't need to worry about that. ;) )

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. :)

This discussion has been closed.