Adding A New Team Member / Family vs. Team

kerrym
kerrym
Community Member

I've tested this scenario with both a Family Account and a Team Account.

Here's the scenario. I have both a Family Account and a Team Account. When I setup the Team account, I used the same email for the owner/user as I did for my Family account. Although I was able to do this, after I realized that inviting "myself" to test how sharing works between both types of accounts using the same email was a bit problematic. Duh. :-) So, I changed the email of my primary owner/user on my Team Account to another email. I then attempted to add a new member to the Team Account using the email associated with my Family Account (the one I had just changed it from but no longer existed in the list from a UI perspective). It produced(s) the result "A member with this email address already exists." Logged out of Team. Logged back in to Team. Same result.

So, the same curiosity that killed the cat led me to attempt and test the same but in reverse with the Family Account. I changed that owner/user email of the Family Account to the same one I setup in the Team Account and then I changed it back again. Still in the Family Account, I attempted to add a new member using the e-mail I had temporarily changed to and which was currently associated with the Team Account. It sent the invite and I did not get the "A member with this email address already exists" message.

So, first let me state the obvious that I recognize this is not a best practice for actually sharing when you are the same person and that just adding the 2 teams is logical approach, but I was testing out how I thought I would work if I weren't the same person but out of habit used the same email and I ran into this scenario and wanted to pass along. I have read there are some differences with security/users/sharing etc. between Family and Team, but it was still odd from a user experience to be logged into a Team, try to invite a user by email who does not appear on the user list and get the prompt that they are already on the Team. For the record, I could add other "new" users from the Team Account.

Anyway, perhaps this is useful. Keep up the great work.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @kerrym! Thanks for the detailed post about this. It's definitely a rare case, so I can see why we didn't catch the bug before. We really appreciate you posting about it, though. I've just let our developers know about the issue so they can get it resolved. :)

ref: B5-1250

This discussion has been closed.