Dropbox sync "Error listing keychains. 1Password encountered a problem"

Options
Drew_AG
Drew_AG
1Password Alumni
This discussion was created from comments split from: Disable dropbox sync?.

Comments

• thellum
    thellum
    Community Member
    Options

I, today, have the same issue on my iPhone 6 (current iOS and 1Password versions).
    I disabled syncing with Dropbox by successfully changing it to iCloud. However, my other Apple devices sync 1Password with Dropbox. Trying to choose Dropbox again over iCloud "sees" my Dropbox account, but when I click on the Dropbox account line item in 1Password, I receive an error dialog reading "Error Listing Keychains. 1Password encountered a problem." This, despite my Mac using the latest version of 1Password and syncing just fine with Dropbox. What to do next?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @thellum,

I'm sorry you're getting an error when trying to switch back to Dropbox sync! This is a bit different than the question in the previous discussion, so I've moved your post to a new thread. And since the problem is happening on your iPhone, I've moved this to our iOS forum. I hope you don't mind!

I disabled syncing with Dropbox by successfully changing it to iCloud. However, my other Apple devices sync 1Password with Dropbox.

It sounds like you wanted to switch to iCloud sync - would you like some help to do that? If your other Apple devices each have 1Password 6, they can all use iCloud sync, and it should be very easy to switch.

On the other hand, if you decided you'd rather keep using Dropbox sync, that's fine too and we'll be happy to help solve the problem. I just wanted to make sure which sync method you'd prefer.

Trying to choose Dropbox again over iCloud "sees" my Dropbox account, but when I click on the Dropbox account line item in 1Password, I receive an error dialog reading "Error Listing Keychains. 1Password encountered a problem."

It looks like you ran into that same error message when you posted on our forum a few months ago. I don't know what the exact solution was, but from your description, it sounds like it involved deleting the 1Password app from your iPhone and reinstalling it. You can certainly try that again if you'd like (and assuming you have all your latest 1Password data on your other devices). Otherwise, there are some troubleshooting steps you can try:

• On your iPhone, open 1Password and go to Settings > Sync > Primary.
    • If either Dropbox or iCloud sync is currently enabled, tap on Sync Service, then Disable Sync (confirm you want to Disable Sync). Or if the sync settings show Start Syncing, that means it's already disabled.
    • Double-click the Home button and swipe up on 1Password to close it.
    • Restart your iPhone (hold down the power button for a few seconds and "slide to power off", then turn it back on again).
    • Once the iPhone restarts, try to enable Dropbox sync by following the steps here: Sync with Dropbox

Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• thellum
    thellum
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for your reply and moving my query to the appropriate forum. Apologies for not doing that myself, initially.
    I had not remembered my posting on this same topic once before, so thank you as well for reminding me of that.

I am less interested in iCloud syncing than continuing to use Dropbox as sync location across my iOS devices and Macs.

I opted just now to delete 1Password and its data from my iPhone, and re-download the app to start from scratch on this phone.
    At first run, 1Password asks which location I wanted to sync with of course. I chose Dropbox, which pitched me over to the authentication in the DropBox app to allow this (which I did), and it proceeded to try to sync, but failed. I have screenshots from the iPhone if you like.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks, @thellum. I think it'd be best if we could get a peek at what is going on "under the hood." If you have not already created a new vault please do so (use the same Master Password as your vault in Dropbox) and then try setting up Dropbox sync (instructions). If that still does not work, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your iOS device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• thellum
    thellum
    Community Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hey Ben,
    Your primary advice to create a new vault with the same password as existing (default sync to iCloud) and then attempt to sync to DropBox was successful! Many thanks indeed for the assistance. I greatly appreciate your insight.
    I merged the two vaults - there was a 99.5% similarity and the existing vault in Dropbox contained a few more items (because, I suppose, I had been using it with my Mac for new items while the iPhone data languished not syncing for awhile). The merge worked fine and I am back up and running well.

/timothy

• Ben
    Options

Excellent. Thanks for the update Timothy! I'm glad to hear that ended up working out. If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.