Setting up 1 password for Mac, iPhone6s, iPad

Options
royrpierce
royrpierce
Community Member

Sorry, I'm a 'normal'. Downloaded app to iPhone6s and can access vault with Touch ID. But somehow missed a step and did not get Master Password. Now trying to sync with Mac, and iPad. Any thoughts?

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iphone6s, OS X Yosemite 10.10.5, iPad 9.2.1(MD786L
Sync Type: wifi
Referrer: ug:ios/settings-general, ug:ios/settings-vaults, ug:ios/settings-sync, ug:mac/quick-start, kb:forgot-master-password

Comments

• Winnie
    Winnie
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @royrpierce,

welcome to the 1Password forum :)

Do I understand you correctly that you can only access 1Password on your iPhone through TouchID and don't remember the Master Password?

If that is the case I recommend to first create a backup of your 1Password data by going to Settings > Advanced > Create Backup and then transferring this to your Mac. You can read more about how to do this here:

https://support.1password.com/ios-itunes-backups/

Now that the backup is on your computer try to set up 1Password for Mac by using the option Restore from Backup during setup. Select the backup file you transferred to your Mac. You will be prompted to enter the Master Password for your vault. If you enter it incorrectly 3 times the Master Password hint you originally created will be displayed. Please use this hint to try to remember your Master Password.

If that didn't help please let me know and we will try to find a different solution.

• royrpierce
    royrpierce
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Winnie and thank you for the response. Here is the latest situation. I tried to access the 1Password app again with TouchID (on my iphone6s), and now that is not working. So, I think my previous note is no longer relevant. Seems that I'm starting from square one. Your thoughts would be very much appreciated. Thank you! David

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@royrpierce: To be clear, you'll definitely have a Master Password, and you'll always need to know it to access your 1Password vault, since Touch ID is not always available.

(Un)fortunately AgileBits has neither your 1Password data nor the Master Password used to secure it, so this isn't something we can 'reset' for you to help directly. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/master-password-not-accepted/

If that doesn't help though, you will need to either restore from a backup, sync from another device, or simply start over. Do you have your 1Password data on another device (Mac, iPad)? If so, you could sync it over from there. Please let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you!

• royrpierce
    royrpierce
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Brent and thank you for the response. Here is the latest situation. I tried to access the 1Password app again with TouchID (on my iphone6s), and now that is not working. So, I think my previous note is no longer relevant. Seems that I'm starting from square one. I only had one item in the main vault, so backing up any current data is not an issue. Can you give me steps to "starting over"? Many thanks! David

• Ben
    Options

Sorry about that David. I'd be happy to give you the starting over instructions though:

(iOS) How do I start over with an empty vault?

I hope that helps!

Ben

• royrpierce
    royrpierce
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Ben, will give this a try.

• Ben
    Options

No problem. Please let us know how it turns out.

Ben

• royrpierce
    royrpierce
    Community Member
    Options

Ben, to clarify...I need to start over and with a new master password. Is that a different support link?

• royrpierce
    royrpierce
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, sorry to be such a bother. I was able to change the original master password. Everything on the iMac seems to be working fine. I can access with the new master password and add items to the vault. However, when I tried to sync my iPhone 6s, it appears that it is trying to sync with the (old) original password. Message: "Please unlock Primary Vault"....and it is showing the password hint from the original master password. I assume that I have to unsync or delete old 1Password info from iCloud, but don't know how.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@royrpierce: No bother at all! I'm sorry for the confusion! No need to delete anything!

Until you first unlock 1Password so it can sync your data, it knows nothing about the fact that you've changed the Master password elsewhere (the hint, for example). Once you unlock it with your "old" Master Password, it will sync the change and you'll be able to use the new one going forward. I hope this helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.